Sporttac dropin 6volt max?

I was looking for a new Sporttac drop in to give as a Christmas present. All I can find are the six volt max models. But they are advertised for use in the C3. What am i missing?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
It's been a while since I looked at them, but IIRC the original single-mode triples were 9V max, while the somewhat-more-recent 3-modes were ~6Vmax.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Kestrel said, the first series of drop-ins were 9 volts max and then they switched to 6 volts. Most users of the drop-ins were using 1x18650 or 2xCR123, so I believe Eagletac made the change to give more consistent output to the majority of their users. I haven't looked in a while and don't know if Eagletac still makes any that can handle 9 volts or not. Did you try Eagletac's Sportac website to see what all is currently available?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
IMO their 9V capability made them noteworthy as the only viable cheap option for 2xLiIon / 3xCR123 configurations.
Lots of other decent-quality triples out there that can do 1xLiIon. :rolleyes:

After a brief fling with a couple due to curiosity about their Nichia triple w/ 3xCR123, I went back to the tried-and-true 9V OR/TL triple.
Plus I don't have to worry about module failure lol - I read more than a few postings about ST Triples that died in the first 6-12 months IIRC.

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sportac Single mode P60 drop in's have always been listed as suitable for voltage inputs between 2.7 - 9V, the Dual Level P60's have always been listed as being suitable for 2.7 - 6V.

Both versions are still listed on their website.