Review: Nitecore P30 (1x18650, XP-L Hi)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the Nitecore P30 for the review from Nitecore.

The light comes in this box.

Inside the box: Light, cordura sheath, spare o-rings, clip, cigar ring, silica bag (inside the light), CR123 adapter (inside the light),

The P30 adopts an XP-L Hi V3 CW emitter, in a relatively big smooth reflector.

The tailcap with a forward clicky, completely exposed.

The threads on the body are anodized on both sides (so you can physically lockout the light), and are trapezoidal at the head.

The positive contact pole at the head is a raised button. So flat top and button top cells will work in the P30.

The big head has an electronic switch, with a blue LED underneath it. It has a grippy rubber cover, that protrudes a bit from the surface. The milling on the circumference of the head acts as anti-rolling devices.

The P30 can be considered a bigger and nobler relative of the C8.

UI
The clicky switch at the tailcap turns the light on and off.
Once the light is on you can cycle through the modes with the side switch (lower, low, medium, high, turbo, lower…).
Keep pressed the switch to activate strobe, another long press will activate SOS, another will activate the beacon.
The light has memory for all constant output modes and strobe.
If you turn the light on while keeping pressed the side switch, the blue LED under the switch will turn on and blink the voltage of the battery.
When the battery is running low, the blue LED under the switch will start to blink.

Beamshot at 0.5 meters from the wall

Well, no surprise here. This light can throw for sure. On my sample the spot is on the NW side, and the spill is cooler.
The spill arrives at your feet but it is very dim in brightness. The more you move from your feet, more bright will became (but remains narrow as far as output distribution).
DSCN3493_zpsromdqbfy.jpg

DSCN3494_zpsfimkhig4.jpg

DSCN3495_zps93flx8p0.jpg

Output and Runtime
Both tested with Nitecore 3400mAh 18650 battery.
Note that this battery is not included with the light. I just had it around.

My thoughts
Construction and finishes are as you would expect from Nitecore. The sheath is an accessory that I always appreciate, and it is good.
I would like the cigar grip to be threaded so it doesn't spin (and could over the clip and keep it in place, preventing its movement).
Compared to other Nitecore products, this light is more simple.
You don't have a double stage switch, no charging port, and there is only a shortcut for battery voltage and strobe.
I'd like to see a shortcut for low and turbo, and add another level between moonlight (1 tiny lumen) and low (100 lumens!), or reducing their difference.
But consider that this light is advertised for "tactical" purposes (comes with a cigar grip and remote switch available), so I guess this also has to be considered.

This is a good light if you need a simple interface, memory and great throw.

Thanks to AntoLed for the camera and the luxmeter.

Last edited:

narmattaru

Enlightened
oh, thanx a lot
i also want to ask one webstore for this light to review.

are you planning to add some alive photo?
is there a chance to compare to L2 for example?

sphere

Newly Enlightened
I do like these lights.

Out of interest, where did you get your orange vernier from , i have a thing for Orange ! :) ?

David

Budda

Enlightened
it is a light cheap, poorly made caliper that I found at a chinese store.

markr6

Flashaholic
$45 shipped, sure why not? Still took me a few days to pull the trigger. Sounds like this will be coming with me on night time kayaking trips.

markr6

Flashaholic
$45 shipped, sure why not? Still took me a few days to pull the trigger. Sounds like this will be coming with me on night time kayaking trips.

I've been playing around with this for the past few days. Pretty nice, dirty blue beam as expected, intense hotspot. The body is about 1" too short, so it's hard to hold overhand and click the switch. Since the head is so big you can't really hold any of that in your hand.

Overall, it's a keeper for $45...but not a penny more.

hahoo

Enlightened
I've been playing around with this for the past few days. Pretty nice, dirty blue beam as expected, intense hotspot. The body is about 1" too short, so it's hard to hold overhand and click the switch. Since the head is so big you can't really hold any of that in your hand.

Overall, it's a keeper for $45...but not a penny more.

mines pure white
u must have a defect
agreed on 1 inch longer

markr6

Flashaholic
mines pure white
u must have a defect
agreed on 1 inch longer

I think it's a subjective thing. If I just turn it on by itself I think "100% white". Then after using another neutral white, I can tell it's very cool. Not a defect, just your standard run of the mill low CRI cool white. I doubt anyone has one of these around 5000K.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
When i saw the lux was 90k+ cd, i was sold. It may not be a Olight M2X with a 160k lux, but with at least 90k, this is good enough for a decent throw. Solid light, have no regrets pulling the trigger and the price was great! the cost per meter of throw is much lower than the M2X.

I have a modded C8 which was built for throw, the beamshots and throw are almost identical, with the P30 barely out-throwing the C8.

hahoo

Enlightened
When i saw the lux was 90k+ cd, i was sold. It may not be a Olight M2X with a 160k lux, but with at least 90k, this is good enough for a decent throw. Solid light, have no regrets pulling the trigger and the price was great! the cost per meter of throw is much lower than the M2X.

I have a modded C8 which was built for throw, the beamshots and throw are almost identical, with the P30 barely out-throwing the C8.

mine tests 112kcd , right out of the box
its a little powerhouse rocket
wasnt too many years ago, the big olight sr 90, the size of a baseball bat, was getting bragged on for going over 100kcd
gotta love the times we live in

Zorp

Newly Enlightened
Nice. Trying to decide between this and klarus xt12gt.