Test/review of Eneloop lite AA 950mAh BK-3LCCE (Cyan)

HKJ

Flashaholic
[size=+3]Eneloop lite AA 950mAh BK-3LCCE (Cyan)[/size]

DSC_7052.jpg

Official specifications:
  • Nominal voltage: 1.2V
  • Minimum capacity: 950mAh
  • Low self discharge: 70% capacity left after 5 years
  • Cycle life: 3000 cycles.

Eneloop%20lite%20AA%20950mAh%20BK-3LCCE%20(Cyan)-info.png

Maximum temperature raise at different discharge currents: 1A:+2,6°C, 2A:+3,4°C, 3A:+5,4°C, 5A:+8,7°C, 7A:+10,7°C, 10A:+11,0°C

The latest generation of of eneloop lite (2016).

DSC_7053.jpg
DSC_7054.jpg

DSC_7055.jpg

DSC_7056.jpg

DSC_7057.jpg

Eneloop%20lite%20AA%20950mAh%20BK-3LCCE%20(Cyan)-Capacity.png

The discharge curves has a very good match, but the capacity is low (As specifications says).

Eneloop%20lite%20AA%20950mAh%20BK-3LCCE%20(Cyan)-CapacityTime.png

Eneloop%20lite%20AA%20950mAh%20BK-3LCCE%20(Cyan)-CapacityTimeHours.png

Eneloop%20lite%20AA%20950mAh%20BK-3LCCE%20(Cyan)-Energy.png

Eneloop%20lite%20AA%20950mAh%20BK-3LCCE%20(Cyan)-PowerLoadTime.png

Eneloop%20lite%20AA%20950mAh%20BK-3LCCE%20(Cyan)-CurrentTest.png

Eneloop%20lite%20AA%20950mAh%20BK-3LCCE%20(Cyan)-Charge.png

[size=+3]Conclusion[/size]

These batteries are for remote controls or wireless phones (DECT) and other equipment with low current consumption or very frequent charging. In neither case is high capacity required, but the low self discharge and the many charge cycles can be an advantage.

[size=+3]Notes and links[/size]

The batteries was supplied by Panasonic for a review.

How is the test done and how to read the charts
Compare to other AA/AAA batteries: Alkaline/NiMH/Lithium

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review as always!

• Minimum capacity: 950mAh
  • Low self discharge: 70% capacity left after 5 years
Does this mean that: if i fully charge the new battery and store it untouched in the drawer of my desk (22°C) for 5 years and then take it out of the drawer and right away do a -0.2C discharge, i will get 665mAh (=70% * 950mAh) as result?

Does it also mean that: if i then recondition the battery with some Break_in's and Cycle's, i will get ~950mAh as result for the max capacity?, meaning that there is no significant loss in max capacity?

:thinking:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Does this mean that: if i fully charge the new battery and store it untouched in the drawer of my desk (22°C) for 5 years and then take it out of the drawer and right away do a -0.2C discharge, i will get 665mAh (=70% * 950mAh) as result?

Does it also mean that: if i then recondition the battery with some Break_in's and Cycle's, i will get ~950mAh as result for the max capacity?, meaning that there is no significant loss in max capacity?

Replace 22°C with 20°C and you are close.
http://www.panasonic.com/my/consume...ry/rechargeable-battery/bk-3lcce-aa-size.html

But there is something like "Based on Panasonic's estimation", i.e. they did probably not wait 5 years.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!

That webpage uses the words "Residual Capacity" and "Capacity Retention" interchangeably. I like the latter term better. Also, terms like "ready to use after 5 years in storage" and "keep 70% of their charge" make it perfectly clear that they are talking about the momentary SOC (after 5 years) and not about the maximum capacity.

Maximum capacity also diminishes after years thru irreversible processes like aging, but that's not what the webpage and the ads are talking about.

Yeah. Just wanted to make that point clear: After 5 years of storage, the battery still has ~950mAh maximum capacity!

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
But there is something like "Based on Panasonic's estimation", i.e. they did probably not wait 5 years.

It's presumably based on projecting shorter term testing (I'm sure at least 6 months, maybe a year or two) out to 5 years.

Of course, they've also been making Eneloops long enough I'm sure they could have put a few sets of an older generation on a shelf to test occasionally and make sure their past projections have been close.

I'm surprised to see these actually test as capable of a relatively high current output. It looks like it's more than simply a rewrapped AAA Eneloop Pro.

I just don't know what I'd use a low capacity rechargeable for that an alkaline doesn't suffice for.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review, HKJ! Comprehensive, as usual.

Most AA NiMH have rated capacities between 1200mAh and 1900mAh, so a claim for an Eneloop, even in the "Lite" form, of an AA with at least 950mAh (minimum capacity), should be easily attainable. Looks like they set the bar really low at 950mAh in AA format considering AAA Eneloop Pros have a min 900mAh capacity, but typical 950+mAh. Even my bottom of the barrel cheapest cells in my local stores Reyovac AAs (non- "Plus" label) specs 1350mAh.

Appears Panasonic is trying to increase sales in the low end battery space. Need the best? Get Eneloop. Don't need the best? Panasonic now has that covered. Let's hope the retail price reflects that.

Last edited:

IonicBond

Enlightened
Outstanding review as usual and the timing is great!

One reason I still use 1000ma Sony Cycle Energy AA's in some low-current devices is that they are thinner by about .2mm or so than your usual 2000mah cell.

For some of my devices, like a few remotes and radios that you have to serially stuff cells into a totally enclosed casing, the fit can be so tight that you can't get the normal AA rechargeables back out! At least if you don't like bruising your knee / palms, or shaking the device so hard that you damage it. Been there.

Nice to see these "lite" eneloops available on this side of the pond too!

Latest posts