Odd FedEx shipping tracking.

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

This is my first FedEx flashlight (or anything) shipment, and I thought it strange that the package went from:

AZ -> CA -> TN -> CA

Why would it reach the west coast and then head back to TN? And in only 35 min? Looks like it their timestamps are out of sync, and it logically made a stop in TN, before proceeding to CA.

Conclusion: FedEx tracking still has a ways to go.

Scan Activity Date/Time
Arrived at FedEx Ramp/SAN FRANCISCO CA 02/06/2004 03:31
Left FedEx Ramp/SAN FRANCISCO CA 02/06/2004 03:50
Left FedEx Sort Facility/OAKLAND CA 02/06/2004 02:37
Left FedEx Sort Facility/OAKLAND CA 02/06/2004 02:10
Arrived at Sort Facility/MEMPHIS TN 02/05/2004 23:59
Arrived at Sort Facility/OAKLAND CA 02/05/2004 23:24

Left FedEx Ramp/PHOENIX AZ 02/05/2004 20:41
Left FedEx Origin Location/TEMPE AZ 02/05/2004 20:31
Arrived at FedEx Ramp/PHOENIX AZ 02/05/2004 19:21
Picked up by FedEx/TEMPE AZ 02/05/2004 16:14

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it were UPS I could give you a pretty good idea of what happened (or is still happening) to your package since I work for UPS, but I'm not quite sure what is happening to your package with FedEx.

I will hazard a guess though. Since there is only one destination "scan" of your package at an incorrect destination (Memphis, TN), my guess is that someone entered a tracking number by hand, typed an incorrect digit or two, and accidentally entered your tracking number instead of the package he was looking at in Memphis. At UPS anyways, if a bar code is unreadable by our scanners, we key enter the tracking number by hand. If the incorrect numbers/letters are entered, the tracking info for the package can get messed up, since the system will show a package in one location when it is physically in another location.

That's the only thing that makes sense to me since there are location scans both before and after that seem to be in the correct places.

-Keith

dtsoll

Enlightened
The packages I get from Arc always go from Tempe to Memphis to Omaha to Grand Island, Nebraska. Memphis must be a must stop for these packages. Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

snuffy

Enlightened
I could be wrong but I believe Memphis is the main US hub for FedEx .

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Snuffy, I believe you are right about the FedEx hub in Memphis.

Mr. UPS man, can you explain why my package went to Sioux Falls twice?

Package Progress:

Date Time Location Activity

Feb 3, 2004
5:16 P.M. PARSIPPANY, NJ, US DELIVERY
8:08 A.M. PARSIPPANY, NJ, US OUT FOR DELIVERY
7:30 A.M. PARSIPPANY, NJ, US ARRIVAL SCAN
6:51 A.M. NEWARK, NJ, US DEPARTURE SCAN
6:11 A.M. NEWARK, NJ, US ARRIVAL SCAN
4:18 A.M. LOUISVILLE, KY, US DEPARTURE SCAN
12:49 A.M. LOUISVILLE, KY, US ARRIVAL SCAN
Feb 2, 2004
9:45 P.M. SIOUX FALLS, SD, US DEPARTURE SCAN
4:55 P.M. SIOUX FALLS, SD, US ARRIVAL SCAN
4:40 P.M. SIOUX FALLS, SD, US DEPARTURE SCAN
9:00 A.M. SIOUX FALLS, SD, US ARRIVAL SCAN
2:49 A.M. FARGO, ND, US DEPARTURE SCAN
12:24 A.M. FARGO, ND, US ARRIVAL SCAN
Jan 30, 2004
11:17 P.M. US BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
9:30 P.M. THIEF RIVER FALLS, MN, US DEPARTURE SCAN
5:20 P.M. THIEF RIVER FALLS, MN, US ORIGIN SCAN

Tracking results provided by UPS: Feb 7, 2004 3:21 A.M. Eastern Time (USA)

Avix

Newly Enlightened
ok, I'm not the only one who wonders why a FedEx package goes from North Idaho to Memphis to LA.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]

Mr. UPS man, can you explain why my package went to Sioux Falls twice?

9:45 P.M. SIOUX FALLS, SD, US DEPARTURE SCAN
4:55 P.M. SIOUX FALLS, SD, US ARRIVAL SCAN
4:40 P.M. SIOUX FALLS, SD, US DEPARTURE SCAN
9:00 A.M. SIOUX FALLS, SD, US ARRIVAL SCAN

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure, that's an easy one, somebody screwed the hell up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Actually it isn't uncommon for things to get scanned multiple times inside the same facility. Also, it isn't uncommon for UPS employees inside a hub to screw the hell up. What do you expect from a bunch of teenage college students who are in a union?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

-Keith

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]

Also, it isn't uncommon for UPS employees inside a hub to screw the hell up. What do you expect from a bunch of teenage college students who are in a union?

-Keith

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif Interesting description of the hub.

On the other hand, I do respect the guys that deliver the packages. They seem to hussle, and I like that.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Keith,

Thanks for making this perfectly clear.

I have always wondered what goes on behind the counter...

It all makes sense now.

Tom

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself and my fellow co-workers. A very large percentage of the part-time employees at my UPS hub are young college students though, due to the excellent education assistance benefits UPS offers, and the close proximity of our hub to several major colleges including OSU and Devry. If a person works part-time for UPS for 4 or 5 years, UPS will give them $21k for college in addition to their pay and full medical benefits. Not a bad deal.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

We also take a lot of package volume daily. During December, my shift took approximately 100k packages a day, and there were two other shifts that did 150k-200k packages a day each. I typically see several packages a day that are broken open or practically destroyed, but it is a very small percentage of the volume I see. It might be something like 1 package in a thousand I see get badly damaged. Same with mis-routed packages (mis-loads or mis-toggles), UPS has been very tough on us employees the last several years about sending a package to the wrong place. I've seen several co-workers get fired because of too many scanning or routing errors.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

With over 300,000 union employees though, there are some bad eggs here and there, and some employees that frankly don't give a damn about people's packages. Unfortunately from what I've heard from some of my fellow CPF'ers it seems like some of those bad eggs are concentrated in areas close to some of you all. That is unfortunate.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

-Keith

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Keith,

Wow. That works out to close to 300 packages a minute. You guys (and gals) are on the ball.

I can understand that a package or two can get damaged or way laid, just don't let it be mine.

Tom

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the tracking results above (both), I see two things going on. Both with one in common, and an anomolie with FedEx that I've seen before as well.

The first is the scan times. Sometimes packages get scanned immediately after unloading, then again when sorted. Sometimes the scanner clock is off by 12 hrs. I have seen this a lot in the Memphis facility for FedEx.

The CA --> TN --> CA thing is just a fluke. It most likely never went to TN. Once again, this could be a scanner issue.

bdogps

Enlightened
FedEx is pretty dumb in Australia. They have a shipment facility in DERRIMUT Victoria, Australia which is only 50 minutes from where I live. I ordered a Thrunite Tn30 last week and it is here in Victoria already, but I have to wait until thursday to get it delivered. It has cleared customs already and I dont have to pay any taxes on it, but I have to wait four days, now it is only sitting there.

I ordered it directly from Thrunite. I do not know how they do it, if I would have used FedEx economy to ship the same thing to them, it would have cost me 100$.

They asked me if I wanted to pick it up, which is pretty dumb, since that is the point of paying for shipping... Well I did not pay for it, Thrunite did...

Estimated delivery :
Thur 10/23/2014 by 6:00 pm

10/19/2014 - Sunday
8:28 amInternational shipment release - ImportDERRIMUT AU
8:28 amIn transitDERRIMUT AU
Package available for clearance
6:34 amAt destination sort facilityDERRIMUT AU

10/18/2014 - Saturday
7:15 amIn transitSINGAPORE SG
3:42 amDeparted FedEx locationGUANGZHOU CN
3:37 amIn transitGUANGZHOU CN
3:19 amIn transitGUANGZHOU CN