Good moddable flashlights?

Simon96

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone! I'm looking for a flashlight that I can easily modify. Can someone recommend me a good flashlight that I can mod?

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first one that is coming to my mind and I already modded multiple times is a D-sized Maglite. You have enough empty space to fit in a driver board if you want to modify it with a LED and there are many options for a right sized heatsink.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Convoy. The whole product line is built and designed with enthusiasts in mind, folks who want to tweak, mod, or completely rebuild the light to their specs. They'll even sell you an empty host of most of their lights so you can just start from scratch if you want.

<--- those are Convoy lights in my avatar. I've built quite a few Convoys.

Zak

Enlightened
It kind of depends on what you want to build. If you just want to mod lights to learn about what goes in to them, Convoys are perfect. The S-series, M1 and C8 are really easy to work on, available as bare hosts without the electronics, and there are lots of parts for them from Mtnelectronics, Chinese suppliers and Convoy itself. An M1, S2+ or S3 with a Nichia 219C 80 CRI and mtnelectronics moonlight special driver is a great basic build.

Simon96

Newly Enlightened
Thank you to all who replied! I've just started my hobby in flashlight electronics, so I needed a good host to start with.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
What are your goals?
Simply to add sunsine brightness? Good heat sync? Updated interface?

What sized light do you prefer? There are all kinds of directions you can go. A few goals and details can help you pick a path.
Old style Maglites is a tried n true platform along with SureFire 6P style products. And the new kid on the block, the Convoy platform is gaining in popularity. Or do you prefer to avoid plug n play, but want to start from scratch with something not done before?
I played around with some modifications of products not normally tried like old Streamlights, new Maglite products, vintage incans and Pelicans. But found that so many great lights are available off the shelf that I put away those lights and just stuck with stock. Still it was fun to end up doing stuff not done before.

Last edited:

fkrow

Newly Enlightened
I have enjoyed purchasing old incan Surefire 6P lights and upgrading to LED, clickly tailcaps, many other mods and add on items available.

Regards,
FK

Simon96

Newly Enlightened
I have a question: If I buy an incan Maglite 3d, is it easy to mod it for 18650 batteries and use Cree xpg3/XML2 led/s in it?

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
I recently started trying to mod flashlights. The first one was a Convoy L6 XHP-70. This light gets about 3500 lumens stock. I removed the LED and shaved the dome off the xhp-70 for added throw. Then removed the driver and added a resistor on top of the ones already there to bump up to about 4200 lumens. This light is also an excellent value all on its own without doing anything at about 50 bucks.