Lumintop TD15S review

narmattaru

Enlightened
Previous (new is TD16) model of Lumintop`s tactical flashlight. I got it from Lumintop for review directly. Here is link to product page (non gift-box version)
-----

f465bd40cc.jpg

Package and outlooking

Everything here is good – thick cardboard box with a lot of accurately packed stuff inside : flashlight, 2200mah, gun mount, remote button, red light filter, manual.
TD15S is a medium size-light, only 15.3cm long. Design is simple, but good-looking.
50795d.jpg

19097b.jpg

aa1883.jpg

68d427.jpg

184a99.jpg

What is unusual in this model – side button is moved toward tail for better operating with reverse-grip.
7285a6.jpg

fbd5ae.jpg

fbba84.jpg

31274d939f.jpg

Flashlight is dualspring (though in tail it is not spring actually, but spring-loaded contact plate)
f0cd93.jpg

da9af9.jpg

Machinery is perfect, threads are well-lubricated.
aa964d.jpg

Cooling ribs are quite deep for such a size.
a8f3a4.jpg

TD15S has 38.5mm diameter SMO reflector with XM-L2 U2 inside.
0b2309.jpg

917a14.jpg

782301.jpg

4562b3.jpg

a39425.jpg

You can put red filter on
b5e33a.jpg

Or attach tactical button
0d64c9.jpg

e1e754.jpg

3a1962.jpg

d53b15.jpg

95a0da.jpg

fb08ed.jpg

70cd96.jpg

So, what about appearance – everything is on good level. But worse part waits ahead…

UI

I don`t like it.

It is simple

kri-sswrfes.jpg

So, what i expect from tactical light. Instant max or low – no in this lI ight. Strobe? I have to turn light on before I can start strobe.
In UI of this light I see only one feature that connects it with "tactical" ones – TD15S supports half clicks (as here is a mode memory, brightness will be the same that you used last).

So, what about UI – that flashlight is close to EDC or whatever, not tactical.

Another big dislike – tactical button works in only one mode. As long as you keep it pressed press it – it starts max mode. Ok, i`m not hunter, so may be that makes a sense. But I suppose that I`d better have constant light with usual click and opportunity to change brightness. Why Lumintop engineers decided to reduce UI to just one brightness? Ehhh…

FLASHLIGHT IN WORK

There is PWM shimmering in min-mid.

It took temperature about 5 minutes to reach 48 celcius at head, and 43 at the rest of body. Then temperature started to fall

I could only measure 2.3A . No matter how I tried, with multimeter it always starts in max, while with tail button on, light normally switches on in mid-min. That`s strange.

In the rest, flashlight is quite bright and long-throwing

What about stabilization (with 1хLG He4): after 3 min stepdown about 20-25%,then 2 hours of constant brightness, then small stepdown again for 10-15 min, then strobe agony and off.

Luxmeter (mine one is not precise at all) shows: 240-2430-15900

Light is cold white.

c7dea6.jpg

e571b5.jpg

lesfcd4b.gif

dvor.gif

Below photo in max, in mid mode eye sees some light at wall, though camera does not. 150m distance.
9e6658.jpg

OVERALL

TD15S comes with a good set of additional stuff. It has good appearance and assembled well.
Brightness and beam distance is ok. If you prefer reverse grip – you`ll also find button conveniently located.

But – PWM in 2 modes + non-tactical ( to my mind) UI, and veeery doubtful UI with remote button.
I hope that there are no all this misadvantages in new TD16 .
In the rest – TD15S is not that bad product, but it is usual flashlight with good potential that wasn't used. I suppose engineers wanted to do it "as much better", but ended up with "as much usual" (that mostly relates to UI which i consider strongly non-tactical).

Last edited:

Javora

Enlightened
I bought this light as well and overall I both agree with and like this light. Some things I wasn't pleased with: 1. The red filter is fragile and broke the first week I used it. 2. The holster doesn't fit the light at all. Not a fan of PWM on any mode. Doesn't light up in strobe from off. Despite all of this I love the stainless steel on both ends of the light and general good fit and finish. Has a nice tight beam and good throw that I want. If Lunintop can fix these issues and add a battery charger I think they will have a real winner.

narmattaru

Enlightened
yes, i`m not also saying this is a bad light. but it`s a pity to see good idea was buried under all these misadvantages.

at least when it comes to max mode, yes - it`s bright and longthrowing.

Latest posts