Good or bad idea? Giving 18650 lights to non-light people

timbo813

Newly Enlightened
I'm considering giving a rechargeable light using 18650's to family members for Christmas. This would probably be a light with built in charger (such as olight s30R iii or maybe a klarus).

Is this a good idea? My concern is the light could be left on the charger indefinitely. The experts seem to recommend continuous monitoring and care when charging 18650's. So, should I leave the 18650's to the experts or are these lights with the built in chargers designed to be left plugged in?

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
I'm considering giving a rechargeable light using 18650's to family members for Christmas. This would probably be a light with built in charger (such as olight s30R iii or maybe a klarus).

Is this a good idea? My concern is the light could be left on the charger indefinitely. The experts seem to recommend continuous monitoring and care when charging 18650's. So, should I leave the 18650's to the experts or are these lights with the built in chargers designed to be left plugged in?

Make sure the cells are protected and I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe a short lesson about lithium-ion safety would be in order too.

Zak

Enlightened
Non-enthusiasts use Li-ion powered devices with built-in charging all the time with no trouble. Unless there's someone in their household who's prone to eating batteries, protected cells and onboard charging should be fine. Yes, any major-brand onboard-charging light should be fine to leave plugged in.

I hate the onboard-charging Olights for their proprietary batteries, but Thrunite, Klarus, Nitecore, Fenix and Acebeam have some nice ones.

Last edited:

Xenophon

Newly Enlightened
Good idea! I just bought five with internal USB recharging (helps ease of use) - the one who got his early (for a reason) just loves it!

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good question, a question that I think about once in a while; and similar question is should I recommend Li ion 18650 lights to non-light people.

There are two classes of lights and cells for the lights: Average performance 18650 lights that use ICR protected 18650, and extreme high performance lights that need unprotected IMR cells. I try to mention the latter to people who appear to be able to both want to learn the rules, and who appear to want to follow the rules.

By the time I provide the usual caveats about Li ion 18650, (when I am showing off my lights) the person either is scared to investigate further, or indicates that he can just handle it without needing to be informed of the correct procedures, or sometimes may actually be interested in learning about the capabilities and the caveats and procedures involving 18650 lights.

Some people want to know the rules, but appear to be ready to want to not follow them, other people appear willing to follow any rules, but don't want to learn them.

Very high performance lights that need to be fueled with unprotected cells are not for the average non-light person, unless the person is willing and able to follow instructions.

parametrek

Enlightened
Non-enthusiasts use Li-ion powered devices with built-in charging all the time with no trouble.

That's not quite apples to apples. Laptops and tablets have much more advanced charge controllers, with Coulomb counters to get the exact state of charge and thermistors monitoring battery temperature. A simple protect circuit is stone-age by comparison.

To add to your search, Jetbeam has some of the most affordable micro-usb charging lights. Two of the models are even simple two-mode lights. I never thought I'd see one of those made in 2016!

Xenophon

Newly Enlightened
They're a bit quirky (now, there's been an upgrade) but the Soonfire NS-17s are a little over $30, have built in recharging, a very nice beam pattern for general use, a pocket lockout button mode, immediate access to last brightness used, and feel as if they've had a button improvement (the aesthetics seem marginally nicer too). Plus you can have big laughs reading the Chinese attempt at compressible instructions that use words like "sparkle" as if they actually convey information - at which time you can demonstrate to your giftee how to use the light in under a minute. (They're essentially a ripoff of a $100 Nitecore, except for the unusual interface.) I'm pleased with them at any rate, and they fit my target budget. The quality control seems good, and they come with a good set of parts and accessories. Worth a look. But a two position, on off, they're definitely not!

ven

Flashaholic
Any tom, **** and harry can go and by a li ion fueled light...............anyone. As you are aware of the cautions required, straight away your family/friends have the advantage. Simple few safety rules about the do's and dont's.

Look into the light in question and see if it terminates charge when 100% and does not trickle. Other than that, tell them simply when the charge light shows charged, remove light from cradle and use, then sit back and top off again, remove for use and repeat. I would have thought they would terminate otherwise it would not be a good move for olight!

MX421

Enlightened
Depends on the person obviously, I always ensure they have a protected Litium Ion Battery when giving a 18650 light as a gift. Especially if they aren't familiar with them. Usually the follow up gift is a smart charger.

stephenk

Enlightened
Good question, a question that I think about once in a while; and similar question is should I recommend Li ion 18650 lights to non-light people.

There are two classes of lights and cells for the lights: Average performance 18650 lights that use ICR protected 18650, and extreme high performance lights that need unprotected IMR cells. I try to mention the latter to people who appear to be able to both want to learn the rules, and who appear to want to follow the rules.

By the time I provide the usual caveats about Li ion 18650, (when I am showing off my lights) the person either is scared to investigate further, or indicates that he can just handle it without needing to be informed of the correct procedures, or sometimes may actually be interested in learning about the capabilities and the caveats and procedures involving 18650 lights.

Some people want to know the rules, but appear to be ready to want to not follow them, other people appear willing to follow any rules, but don't want to learn them.

Very high performance lights that need to be fueled with unprotected cells are not for the average non-light person, unless the person is willing and able to follow instructions.
ICR vs IMR is somewhat outdated. Most new protected and unprotected cells have a hybrid chemistry e.g. INR. For example you can get protected (re-wrapped) and unprotected Sanyo GAs which offer high capacity and 10A draw. Some hybrid cells are capable of much higher drain but slightly less capacity e.g. Samsung 30Qs and Sony VTC5A/6.

pjbrendel

Newly Enlightened
I'm giving a rechargeable 18650 light as a gift this year. The person is into technical stuff so I think it could start the bug, We'll see

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good or bad idea? Giving 18650 lights to non-light people
What if they:
Discharge the unprotected battery too far down?
Drain the battery completely till protection shuts it off then thinking cell is bad and throw away.

I wouldn't do that unless they know how to use and charge battery.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If we're talking about a "techy" sort of person, then I wouldn't consider it a bad idea AT ALL to give them an 18650 light. But someone who is unlikely to properly care for Li-Ion batteries? NO WAY,