2016 or 2017 Ford super duty quad led vs regular headlights???

Brannon132

Newly Enlightened
So I'm looking at upgrading my truck and I never buy new but the new Ford 2017 F-350s they now have quadbeam headlights with a led option ($1000).

So I have two very subjective questions:

1. How big of a upgrade are the new 2017 quadbeams vs the older style and is that option alone worth me looking at a new truck?

2. Is the led option worth $1000 and will I notice a significant difference between them and the quadbeams?

About me, I drive a lot for work at night, probably 500+ miles of night driving a week.

Thank you for your input, I can't find anything anywhere about this.

Brannon

Sadden

Enlightened
The LEDs have a low color rendering index, and already have reported icing problems in the wintertime. So if you drive in inclement weather i would stick with the halogens myself.

I dont have any objective performance data of either version though.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they are the same as the ones on the F150, you might not be happy with them. In IIHS testing, they were downgraded for having both excessive glare towards other drivers, and inferior distance illumination.

From IIHS:

The Ford F-150, the centerpiece of the best-selling F-Series line, is among the poorest performers. Both the base halogen and the optional LED low beams provide inadequate visibility in all test scenarios, including both sides of the straightaway, on sharp curves in both directions and on gradual curves in both directions. The LED lights also produce unacceptable glare. The high beams on both versions have mostly inadequate visibility too.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED headlights have a much too high CCT. They are effectively blue.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED headlights have a much too high CCT. They are effectively blue.

CCT applies only to white light; they are effectively white. Yes, they do have a strong blue look to them because of the relative lack of the ROY compared to the amount of B, but they're still white. Obnoxious? Yes. Less-than-optimal in inclement weather? Certainly. "Effectively blue"? No. They're white.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I would join in on being hesitant to recommend the LEDs, which are more glitzy than effective. The halogens on the new '17 Super Duty are an unusual "Quad Dual Beam" design discussed here. Ridiculously inefficient, but if you're buying and feeding a truck like that, you probably don't care, and they're likely to give better performance than the LEDs (and with no ice/snow build-up problems).

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I would join in on being hesitant to recommend the LEDs, which are more glitzy than effective. The halogens on the new '17 Super Duty are an unusual "Quad Dual Beam" design discussed here. Ridiculously inefficient, but if you're buying and feeding a truck like that, you probably don't care, and they're likely to give better performance than the LEDs (and with no ice/snow build-up problems).

Are the LED light engine modules in the new Super Duty the same ones in the F150? The housings are different, I'm just wondering if they redesigned the LED light modules for the new heavy duty truck.

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
Upgrade those quad beams with 4x X-Treme vision h13s and check for voltage drop. Also hit em with a optical aim machine. That will maximize their operation (correct aim, bright, high quality bulbs).

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recall alert for some LED equipped Ford Super Duty pickups

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/...es-super-duty-led-headlamps-recall-alert.html

Vehicles Affected: Approximately 86,300 model-year 2018 Ford F-Series Super Duty pickup trucks built from May 1, 2017, to July 13, 2018; and model-year 2019 F-Series Super Duty trucks built from March 5, 2018, to Oct. 8, 2019, all equipped with LED headlamps

The Problem: When the daytime running lamps are illuminated and the master lighting switch is moved to the low-beam position, the lamps do not revert to parking-lamp intensity as required by federal safety standards, increasing the risk of a crash.

The Fix: Dealers will update the body control module for free.

TechGuru

Newly Enlightened
Upgrade those quad beams with 4x X-Treme vision h13s and check for voltage drop. Also hit em with a optical aim machine. That will maximize their operation (correct aim, bright, high quality bulbs).

Also install some air bags in the rear suspension to level the truck if used for heavy loads and towing...

IMHO trucks need to be mandated to have auto leveling headlights...

Actually when I think about it, just about all vehicles need auto leveling, saw a Yaris type car with three 350+ lb persons in the back seat with it's lights pointing way too high... The car actually got hung on a speed bump and they had to get out for it to clear...

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Recall alert for some LED equipped Ford Super Duty pickups, "When the daytime running lamps are illuminated and the master lighting switch is moved to the low-beam position, the lamps do not revert to parking-lamp intensity as required by federal safety standards"

I saw a truck with that exact issue yesterday night in traffic. Wondered if it was a fault or an instance of Ford making dumb lighting choices again. Anyone want to place bets on owners of such trucks start deciding to leave it that way (or make it that way, on unaffected trucks) because they think it looks cool?

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another recent Ford recall over lighting, in the 2019 Ranger pickup.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/11/2019-ford-ranger-taillamps-recall-alert.html

Vehicles Affected: Approximately 72,700 model-year 2019 Ford Ranger pickup trucks manufactured at the Michigan Assembly Plant from June 4, 2018, to Aug. 16, 2019

The Problem: The inline electrical connector terminals for the taillamps may be misaligned or not properly seated, which can result in intermittent or inoperative taillamps, reducing the vehicle's visibility and increasing the risk of a crash.

Ford noted the high-mounted center stop lamp is not affected and also said it is not aware of any reports of accidents or injuries related to the issue.

The Fix: Dealers will inspect the underbody inline connector and, if a terminal is loose, it will be re-pinned to a replacement connector for free.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Meh. This kind of thing happens. Mercedes-Benz had an issue with something like 220,000 '07-'09 C-class cars, where the taillight connector melted, burned, or actually caught fire. BMW installed a mix of ECE and US taillight assemblies on some number of 3-series (I think it was, but could be wrong) so the inner part of the turn signal lit up amber while the outer part lit up red, or vice versa. Toyota for a bunch of years put rear side marker light/reflectors on a whole bunch of vehicles (mostly crossovers and SUVs) that faded to pink and then white in short order...and made the same error on the US inner brake lights/ECE rear fog lights on the '97-'04 GS sedans, which also faded to colorless in an unreasonably short time. Volvo had difficulties with headlamp and front turn signal bulb sockets for awhile starting in the mid to late '90s. GM had that issue where the turn signal flash rate would not be affected (as required by FMVSS 108) by a failure of one of two front turn signal bulbs on each side of one of their mass-market sedans. And in the bigger picture, even Toyota has had engine problems and even Honda has had transmission problems.

There are far fewer defects on this order of seriousness in today's cars than at any time in the past. Modern manufacturing is vastly better informed and equipped than ever before to cost-effectively turn out faultless products. Take a look at an old Consumer Reports automobile test from as recently as the mid-'90s or possibly even later: they used to list what they called "sample defects", which were faults and problems and failures. Everything from "glovebox would not stay latched" and "left rear window squeaked" to "thin spots and runs in paint" "rain leaks" and "exhaust leaks" and "seatbelt lock didn't function correctly", "door latches were misaligned", "headlights were misaimed", etc. It was very common for them to find tens of defects on a single car. These were listed separately from drivability faults like hesitation, stalling, rough idle, etc.

They don't list these things any more because in the overwhelming majority of cases there is just nothing to list.

Getting something simple wrong, like a connector or a terminal or a piece of code in an ECM's programming, might be worth a roll of the eyes, and some sympathy for whoever has to fix it and whoever's accident or oversight caused it. It is very rare for someone to deliberately sabotage things by saying "I'm going to deliberately design/make/install a faulty component".

(But then again, some car companies seem to rack up bigger and/or stupider lists of errors...)

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yet another Ford pickup recall, for faulty electrical connectors:

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/12/2017-2019-ford-super-duty-tailgate-switch-recall-alert.html

Vehicles Affected: Approximately 231,700 model-year 2017-19 Ford Super Duty F-250, F-350 and F-450 heavy-duty pickup trucks equipped with an electric tailgate latch-release switch mounted in the tailgate handle and built at the Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville from Oct. 8, 2015 to Nov. 3, 2019

The Problem: Water entering the electrical wiring system may cause a short circuit, resulting in unintended switch activation and release of the tailgate latches, which may result in the loss of unrestrained cargo, increasing the risk of a crash.

The Fix: Dealers will modify the tailgate frame wiring harnesses by adding jumper pigtails to isolate the tailgate release control circuits and install a new tailgate handle release switch.