As of 2016, what brands are known for their reliability?

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
As I've used more and more flashlights I think I've come to appreciate one factor above all else. Reliability. I've moved away from the cheaper lights since I've had a few occasions where they just won't turn on, especially in cold weather when they may be needed the most.

Currently I have a few fenix's and solarforces, none of which have let me down. But it makes me curious, which brands and known for being the most reliable?

Thanks

defbear

Newly Enlightened
I'll stick my noobie toe in the water and recommend HDS EDC flashlights. I Always have a HDS Tactical or Rotary in a Thors Hammer holster. I've dropped mine (embarrassing) on concrete from 8 feet up. Teensy nick. I think there is a thread where Dan at Thors Hammer shot one with a .380. Reliable.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Even bad flashlights aint bad these days...
For the most part. For general use at least.
But at many times the fuel cell is at least part of the problem.

If you mean lights that can be used as a golf ball for 18 holes the list gets much shorter.
The big names are still reliable, but a bunch of new players have entered the market.
Others will likely chime in to state their favorites.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire,Malkoff & HDS & McGizmo for sure.
I have not had a single failure with any of the Zebra Lights that I own either and I have several.

Fenix
Eagletac
Thrunite
Jetbeam
Sunwayman
I have been lucky maybe but for me if they are good out of the box I have had no problems at all?

TA_ls1

Enlightened
I have 3 Zebralights. Two have gone through the wash and they've all survived drops with no issues ever. I've had an HDS for about 8 years, and the only issue I had was with the battery tube needing repairs. I like the light but not the fact that I had to wait over a month to get it back. I've had 3 Olights and had a issue with one that had to be returned (s10r II). I've had 6 Nitecores and had issues with the MH12, which I had to return and Amazon refunded me. The other was the MH27 which I sent in, paid a ton to ship to China and after having the replacement for less than a week it stopped working and I was able to get it serviced in the US that time. So far the 3rd one has been good.

It seems like Zebralights, HDS, and Malkoff are the best, but I can't speak on Malkoff, not yet at least, but hopefully I'll get an MD2 soon.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, add Peak to my list too! I rely on them frequently--especially the Eiger, but they're all built with bomb-proof simplicity.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had nothing but problems with Peak,at least the QTC versions.
Love them and Hate them honestly.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Although QTC provides for relatively coarse output adjustment, it is far more reliable (durable) than most other alternative variable output switches and circuits ... and ultimately can be easily bypassed in the event of failure.

But, yes, I agree that the single output Peaks would be preferred if maximal reliability is the primary criterion.

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The peak QTC is just garbage. I have had my eiger ultra X since August and have used rarely and the it is already a one mode light. Peak is off my list.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Maglite still makes reliable stuff. And Elzetta are made with being used as a golf ball in mind. I like PKDL's durability. Streamlight still make reliable products. Malkoff, HDS, Zebra have stellar reputations.
I think SureFire is slipping into the "iffy" category based on what I read here but none of mine have ever whinced at all for my uses.

And so far all Coast products I've owned or given away are still going except an HP1 my "warranty killer" buddy managed to screw the tail cap on so tight it won't let him change the dead battery. That dude is 900 # gorilla strong but so far Malkoffs and PK's I gave are holding up...

Night Stick makes some niche lights that reportedly hold up well when used by iron workers and bridge builders.
So yeah there are lots of good lights out there.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
For context, what flashlights do you prefer ?

Well, the light next to me is a 6P with an M60. Next to the M60 is a M61 with a 219A. Other recent acquisitions and builds. Sundrop nichia 083, Reylight Ti II Tri XPL 3000k 80cri, P60 with a quad XPG2 3000k 90cri, Reylight Ti I with tri 5700k 219B, Wildcat V6, Meteor M43 219C.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Well, the light next to me is a 6P with an M60. Next to the M60 is a M61 with a 219A. Other recent acquisitions and builds. Sundrop nichia 083, Reylight Ti II Tri XPL 3000k 80cri, P60 with a quad XPG2 3000k 90cri, Reylight Ti I with tri 5700k 219B, Wildcat V6, Meteor M43 219C.

I've had excellent results with those Malkoffs, and McGizmo. Never used Reylight, and don't even know what is Meteor.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Lupine also seems very well made, but I only have used one of these for the past year or so, while I have much more experience with both Peak and Malkoff (dozens of lights each, and many used nearly daily for several years)