Why is the Fenix E21 unobtanium?

00ChevyScott

Newly Enlightened
Years ago I bought a few of these flashlights for some buddies off Amazon. They were pretty cheap and were 5x the flashlight I thought they would be when they arrived in the mail. Every one I gave one to loved them, they're a really handy size for a flashlight.

On a search for a decent 2xAA flashlight for winter time and I figured I'd see if I could pick one of the E21s up, but evidently they're long discontinued and nobody wants to let go of theirs (not even on eBay). What gives? I figure if they sold on Amazon, there must be tons of them out there, but none, zip, nada. I searched the CPF marketplace and came up with one mega thread from 2014-2015 that had one for sale that's long gone.

If this light is going to be that difficult to acquire, I'm assuming one of the FourSevens 2xAA is going to be the closest 2nd? I'm not really interested in the new direction Fenix went with their rubber push buttons to change modes. I like the relative thin, uniform tube of the E21 and simple Low/High brightness modes with a forward clicky button.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I don't recall when Fenix stopped making them, but yes, the E21 has been discontinued for a few years now. Haven't seen one for sale in quite some time.

My first "real", "modern" LED flashlight was an E21, and I still have it, though I've kept it mostly for sentimental reasons. I do like the old-school 2-stage UI and the forward clicky, and that it is built like a tank. But if I'm honest, the ~150 lumens output is anemic by modern standards, and is rivaled by most 1xAA lights these days at a fraction of the size and weight.

If you have your heart set on an actual E21, you could start a WTB/WTT thread and see if anyone will part with theirs. If you want a "new" light that's similar in function (though maybe not the same build quality) I believe there are some other 2-stage forward clicky lights from Jetbeam, Klarus, Eagletac, and the like which might do the trick.

00ChevyScott

Newly Enlightened
If you want a "new" light that's similar in function (though maybe not the same build quality) I believe there are some other 2-stage forward clicky lights from Jetbeam, Klarus, Eagletac, and the like which might do the trick.

I've got a Nitecore MH2A and a Streamlight ProTac 2AA but they just don't feel the same as the E21. Just something about that light that feels good. I am tempted to order one of the new Olight S2A lights though.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I did some looking around, and couldn't find anyone selling an Eagletac P100A2... which is I think the nearest thing to the E21, and might come close to the old Fenix build quality. For some reason, EagleTac still lists the P100A2 on its website, but that's not helpful if no one carries them.

The other light I was thinking of was the Jetbeam BA20, and those *are* still being sold... but that's frankly a step down in quality.

You mentioned Foursevens, and I think you may be able to find one of their 'Tactical' Quarks on the Bay, but again the series has been discontinued from the manufacturer.

The other thought I had was Surefire Outdoorsman, but that's quite a different price point.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Fenix E20, 2015, is a good light. Doesn't have the twist of the head like the E21 but it's no sideswitch either. Tailswitch for on/off and mode change and then it has mode memory.
There was one new flashlight from about a year or two ago that was very E21 like. I was very happy to see that but was then told by Fenix that that light was only ment for China market or Asia.

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
Fenix's chinese site lists a modern updated E21. Maybe browsing chinese market websites may allow you to buy new one?

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
The new version is called the E21 MAX and now has 265lm max mode, still same @ mode interface (70lm low mode).
I can't direcly link a seller, but check out FastTech. They seem to ship several Asia-exclusive Fenixes worldwide free. The E21 MAX is just $35.
Happy shopping.;)

Last edited:

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
Fenix E20, 2015, is a good light. Doesn't have the twist of the head like the E21 but it's no sideswitch either. Tailswitch for on/off and mode change and then it has mode memory.
There was one new flashlight from about a year or two ago that was very E21 like. I was very happy to see that but was then told by Fenix that that light was only ment for China market or Asia.
The new E20 offers more modes (4), so maybe more interesting, but it has a reverse clicky, so no momentary. I think there the main distinction lies,do you want:
-More modes, with a lower low (longer battery life),
-mode memory,
-Tail standing
-don't mind cycling through modes to get the one you want===> E20 (available from most Fenix retailers)
OR do you
-2 modes
-Output selection possible when off
-forward clicky with momentary possibility====> E21 MAX (only available from select vendors, who may not have the best reputation for aftersales services)

GunnarGG

Enlightened
The new version is called the E21 MAX and now has 265lm max mode, still same @ mode interface (70lm low mode).
I can't direcly link a seller, but check out FastTech. They seem to ship several Asia-exclusive Fenixes worldwide free. The E21 MAX is just $35.
Happy shopping.;)

This is great news.
I asked Fenix in march and got the answer that the E21 MAX was only for Chinese market and now they have it on Fasttech.
This seems like a perfect light for non flashaholics. Simple and reasonable modes.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
What's the deal with China exclusive lights? I was looking for a 2 AA travel light and that E21 would have been a good choice. I ended up with the LD22--which is also a great light.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
What's the deal with China exclusive lights? I was looking for a 2 AA travel light and that E21 would have been a good choice. I ended up with the LD22--which is also a great light.
Guessing here but Surefire made 4 sevens and I think Fenix stop doing lights with this kind of UI with headtwist for high / low.
It was a patent thing.
When now Fenix bring back this UI maybe they only can sell it in China, even though some lights slip out to the rest of the world through some dealers.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
Really? I had no idea Surefire made any high/low twist heads. Shows you how up to date I am on Surefire...I still think the plain 6P and 9P were they're best lights.