Fenix FD41 focusing ring : overview and first thoughts

Ti²C

Newly Enlightened
vBuPGHt.jpg

I used to stay away from zoomable flashlights since i discovered quality flashlights and manufacturers here, those zoomies were generally of the 1st price with the crappy quality... but that was before
smile.png

Fenix ​​has been offering for several years lamps that offer both a tight beam and flood via two reflectors and it is a relevant solution in lighting quality (tk51, hp25)

The FD41 brings a new technical solution: with a sliding TIR lens that allows to adjust the beam width continuously.

Unpacking:

6uzakdD.jpg

mUAJJ3l.jpg

The usual packaging includes the lamp, a nylon pouch, spare seals, a wrist strap, a removable tactical "ring", multi language notice (seems well translated for the French part btw), warranty card and a some advertisement...

The competition sometimes offers two disposable cr123 batteries and a plastic sleeve to avoid rattle in the lamp... :sssh:

tTfrd8J.jpg

lkj5nt4.jpg

oNbGxxs.jpg

The holster has a velcro fastener in addition to a stitched loop, and the flap is repositionable by velcro also to accommodate a longer lamp ...

Due to the width of the head, you can only position the lamp bezel-up, and the tactical gripping ring will stuck a little on the lower edges ... for quick release this is not ideal.
Fenix ​​offers cordura cases as option (tasmanian tiger iirc) which seems a much better carrying solution.

ghkJpzb.jpg

I41SmoK.jpg

Almost 200gr. with battery, it is in the higher standard for an 18650 lamp of this type.

A4ALKBy.jpg

The quality of manufacture is typical of Fenix: beautiful anodization, clean threads, anodized (think mechanical lockout) and well lubricated, the battery is mounted between two springs which avoids false contacts (when mounting on a weapon for example, note the width of 1" on the central part of the lamp)

KXzplZ9.jpg

in use:

The Xp-l HI LED is not visible behind a sliding TIR lens, this lens is plastic which can be a plus in matter Of strength but to the detriment of a surface more sensitive to small scratches.

UUGGHLE.jpg

The mechanism of sliding is very firm at unpacking (it is cool outside at this moment, it does not help) but softens at a more mild temperature and with a taste of silicone lubricant.
Anyway, no risk here of having the focus setting moving in pocket/bag.

The beam with lens screwed to the bottom ( flood mode) is excellent, comparable to what we have with a frontless reflector (old series H-zebralights)
It is very nice for close works because there is no dazzling hot spot, for photo lighting or searching for small objects that is really impressive.
The beam width is very large and with 900 lumens, it illuminates without problem a whole room (at 4m distance the beam width is almost 5m!)

In throw mode, the beam is also very clean of any artefacts with a well-defined hot spot typical of a TIR lens with a relatively small angle, but still usable peripheral illumination (the light is concentrated on the center point, 4m distance the spot is about 50cm wide)

Between the two the beam is a little less clean, a small donut in the center or rings around the beam. It is not very nice inside by aiming a white wall, but outside it should not be a concern.

osWhIYk.jpg

The selection of the modes is done by this side button, the on / off (with momentary) is done by the tailcap.

-the lamp keeps in memory the last mode used
-the 4 modes scroll by successive presses
-the strobe is hidden (long press)
-no SOS (very good to me :twothumbs

This type of UI is a solution that has been well proven in terms of simplicity and for this type of tactical flashlight this is really what I recommend.

-the 900 lumens mode is conditioned to a timer (5min) re-engageable on demand by simply pressing the mode button.

New at Fenix, the regulation is of the "step" type: the lamp goes down one level each time the battery starts to run out of juice, and will flash every 5 mins in the lowest mode when the battery is Flat: this is an excellent improvement !

4IdRkQN.jpg

The tailcap does not allow to hold up in candle mode, but in return the access is excellent even with gloves,

ACCvRLS.jpg

With a snap ring or a makeshift tool, it can be easily disassembled to replace the cap (included) or optionally to replace the switch (not included) it is a guarantee of longevity and ease of maintenance.

PtMEcHU.jpg

The tactical ring is removable, it leaves apparent threads but if you have preserved your old 2007 TK11 you will be able to recycle your beautiful smooth spacer ring and give it a more edc friendly aspect !

V85p0xO.jpg

nTzPYGV.jpg

As is often the case with Fenix ​​in the TK series, the grip is excellent, the grid is not aggressive but it holds well in hands.

DtIE66Z.jpg

zm1bcOG.jpg

Short-term notice:

This new FD41 provides a response to a specific request for variable beam lamp, with the recognized Fenix ​​quality.

I particularly liked:

-the step regulation with indication of low level of the battery
-the quality of the beam in flood and throw, without any artefacts (a little less good between the two positions by cons)
-the simple user interface, it is a lamp that can be loaned without worries
-quality of manufacture: it is a beautiful tool realized with care.

I do not really like it :

-the plastic lens
-the firm focus ring
-the cheap holster
-some lubricant tends to stay on the passage of the crown when the lens is unscrewed completely.

This Flashlight was provided by Fenix for free for review.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! I was curious about this light, and your videos answered most of my questions. The rest of the review answered all the rest. I really do appreciate a variable beam, and have even modded up one of the cheap 18650 zoomies with a good driver and enjoyed it in the woods. Nothing like full-on flood for keeping from tripping up close, but a laser-like thrower is a life saver when trying to make out trail at a distance in unfamiliar territory. Nice not to have two lights to get it done. Surprised there are so few quality lights like this to choose from.

On my very short list.

colight

Enlightened
Difficult choice between this and the FD30, because I like both of them! Maybe I should get one of each, but oh! the budget......

ToddM

Enlightened
I personally would prefer a stiff focus ring, or perhaps an adjustable tension one. There's nothing more annoying than a camera lens, focusing light etc. where it won't stay in focus while you're using it because the adjustment is too weak to stay where you put it. I can see the case for wanting something that's easily one hand adjustable, but if they make it that weak out of the box as it breaks in it's probably going to get too weak and refuse to hold adjustment. The Canon 100-400 push/pull lens had adjustable tension but if you set it too loose it was very annoying very quickly.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
having been spoiled by Coasts and LED Lensers with simple one hand push/pull variable focus has left me jaded before I got the FD41 so that being said. The focused spot and flood beams out of the FD41 are perfect. Zero artifacts. Most impressive function of the light is just how good it's 100% artifact free focused flood beam is. Brightness and tint is amazingly even across the focused flood beam. It is the very first focused flood beam of any variable focus light I have ever seen or used that I would actually call "crisp" looking. I have my own FD41 permanently set to full flood.

NOW-the adjustment ring is not a separate ring like say the control rings on the Nitecore SRT series are it is just an area to grip at the bottom of the reflector head. Build tolerances on this IP68 rated light are very tight which considering the sky high waterproof and dust proof rating of course makes sense. But this leaves you with an out of the box very tough resistance to turning the head of the light. I have read where some are resorting to thin lubing oils.

My elderly mother has annexed my new FD41 calling it the greatest flashlight she has ever seen and she uses it all the time which is wonderful. Still and forever set to full flood. The resistance in changing the focus has worked itself out a noticeable amount but it is still enough to where most users are forced to use two hands to change focus. The FD41 is still a very big step up from the clumsy FD40 though.

Users that can easily work the focusing head with one hand either got copies of the light with less resistance built in at the factory vs the majority of the rest or have some very long and strong fingers. In a perfect world the FD41 would have a focusing mechanism very close to the awesome magnetic rings on the SRT6 and 7 but would likely be impossible to get that IP68 rating then...

DisisMrC

Newly Enlightened
The only Fenix flashlight I currently have is the PD35 and I've been happy with it. This one looks like one I might pick up too.

430Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
Very nice review, Thank you. Seems like a great all around type of flashlight to own. Will definitely consider this for a future purchase.

playwithme

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the nice review. the FD41 looks tough, but I prefer the FD30, more compact

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. I'm hoping that they incorporate this function into 1AA, 1AAA and 2AAA lights. They're moving in a direction that I like.

My most used light is the Coast HX5 because of the awesome zooming focus with the sliding head and awesome spot & flood beams, relatively small 1AA format and reversible pocket/cap clip.

I'd love to have a 1AAA zoomie with similar quality beam at zoom and flood with a reversible clip for hat brim use. I don't care who the manufacturer is.

I REALLY LIKE QUALITY SMALL ZOOMIES! I don't carry large lights over 2xAAA or 1AA.

colight

Enlightened
I REALLY LIKE QUALITY SMALL ZOOMIES! I don't carry large lights over 2xAAA or 1AA.

Maybe you can look at the FD30 from the same manufacturer? Anyway, I took these (not at all professional) pictures of the spot and flood beams of my FD41 this last weekend, and I was VERY impressed! I am not a flashaholic as such, therefore things like tints, etc are not a huge concern to me. As long as a flashlight delivers an acceptable beam and I can see my way around, I am happy, and this beam was great!

FD41 Spotlight beam:

FD41 Floodlight beam:

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the review! This definitely brings me back to my coast light days but in a good way. Might have to check one of these out eventually although I just got a new light over the holidays.

markr6

Flashaholic
That looks MUCH better than I expected! I figured it would be some crappy Maglite adjustable beam so I never gave it a chance. But I like what Fenix did here.

colight

Enlightened
No problem at all, and I'm now happy to have posted the pics. By the way, in case someone was wondering, this flashlight CAN be operated and zoomed while submerged. Curious as I am, I just had to test that, and it passed the test with flying colors!

GreySave

Enlightened
Just took delivery of this over the weekend and I am VERY pleased with the light. Yes, the focusing mechanism is a little stiff, but not too bad on mine and it definitely does get easier with use. Yes, if you stop at certain positions there is a donut hole and / or a ring or two. But overall.....Very usable throw position with decent spill and perfectly smooth and wide full flood beam with no artifacts whatsoever that still puts out a surprising amount of light even on low power. And with 150 hours from that lowest position.....This may be by new EDC. Still like the fully variable and instant output selection of my SRT7 for walking at night, but this new Fenix does a lot of other things well enough to earn its place in the EDC rotation.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Thanks for the very nice review. I am loving the way the FD41's focused beam looks in the video. I have the FD40 and it is alright, but the FD41 looks to be much improved. The UI on the FD40 is very bad imo. FD41 with rear clicky power and modes via side e-switch is a very easy configuration. Even just a single e-switch with click on-click off and long press to mode switching, I like. However my FD40 is long press for on and long press for off with single clicks for mode switching which I forget to do every time, so it's like having to fight with the UI. Counterintuitive is the word. Though the FD40 is still good and useful for it's perfect flood and non-perfect yet decent throw config, the FD41 looks much more enjoyable to use with better throw. Just love that they added a rear clicky switch to this light.