Klarus G20 with aftermarket battery

cruzian3

Newly Enlightened
I searched everywhere but couldn't find an answer so I'll post my question here.

I got my Klarus G20 yesterday and it came with a Klarus 26650 protected button top battery. Everything works as expected with that battery. On turbo it gets hot but peaks at some point and I'm still able to hold it with my bare hand for as long as the battery will last.

However, when I finally ran out of battery, I put in a Soshine brand protected flat top battery and the G20 cut out almost immediately on turbo. So I tried a second fully charged Soshine protected flat top battery (I don't have any other 26650 batteries), and same thing.

It works fine for all other other modes, just not turbo. Can someone tell me why?

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most protection circuits kick in at around 5 amps. That gives you about 20 watts available from the battery. Driving an XHP-70 to the full 3000 lumens requires about 30 watts from the battery. So the protection circuit will prevent you from fully driving the XHP-70 LED. Try using a IMR or other high current battery with protection that is designed to provide at least 10 amps. The step down from turbo on the G20 is quite large, so the available power through the protection circuit is enough to drive the LED in all modes except turbo.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would guess the Soshine battery's are not capable of the high amp draw rate.

The turbo setting is not really meant to be used for more than a minute or so...as the heat can lead to damage to the electronics, lead to a dimmer led...and shorten the cycle life of the battery. Most lights have a timer that drops them down to the next lower setting before the internals get to hot. Personally I will only use turbo for...maybe 30 seconds at most, to show off the power to someone. And also it will eat through batteries fast of course.

The IMR type batteries can deliver high amp draws. Might want to look for those.

Last edited:

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
If you really want to be for certain to get the maximum, you can always go with the failsafe WILL work option of IMR unprotected type cells. Don't allow them to drain down past 2.5 or so volts as this can compromise the integrity of the mechanisms that allow for proper charging, draining and recharging. However at even 3.5 volts it should start to be obvious that turbo is beginning to look dim and 3.5v still has a ways to go to get to 2.5v so be sure to have a USB plug handy you're good.

cruzian3

Newly Enlightened
If you really want to be for certain to get the maximum, you can always go with the failsafe WILL work option of IMR unprotected type cells. Don't allow them to drain down past 2.5 or so volts as this can compromise the integrity of the mechanisms that allow for proper charging, draining and recharging. However at even 3.5 volts it should start to be obvious that turbo is beginning to look dim and 3.5v still has a ways to go to get to 2.5v so be sure to have a USB plug handy you're good.
Thanks. I'm not having much luck finding protected anyways.

TheGrave

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone recommend a solid bike mount for the G20? I'm doing some light downhill so I gotta be sure light doesn't drop off :)