Can't decide on a EDC light

novarider

Newly Enlightened
I thought I had settled on the Eagletac D25a for EDC but then I saw the Eagletac D25c then that led me to the Streamlight Protac 1L-1aa. Now I can't decide which one to get. On both Eagletac lights I would use rechargeable batteries and on the Protac I would probably use a lithium AA for the extended run time but can swap to cr123 if I need it to be brighter. The only down side I can see to the Protac is the larger size. Between the Eagletac's, the D25a will have longer run time but the D25c is over twice as bright. I'm sure there are great lights I haven't even considered yet. I need help settling on an EDC light.:banghead:

RLDubbya

Newly Enlightened
D25a - Monday, Wednesday, Friday
D25c - Tuesday, Thursday
Protac - Saturday, Sunday

😜

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO: No comparison. D25A reigns supreme. If you really want nice, get a Ti version. You can sometimes catch them on sale for under $50. Killer edc light. Only issue down the road will be having to clean contacts with alcohol. They will get grimy and cause the light to act wacko. It is a non issue to me, but be aware. The wife has washed mine in the machine two times and it still works great after a good drying. lol I own 4 of the D25's in Ti. It is a toss up between the C & A for me. If I were to buy just one, it would likely be the A. Just because the cells are easier to find for the average person. But, get you some 14500s and enjoy the show! Oh, plus they have a GITD tail button & a real pocket clip. Not some cheesy clip on clip!. Just sayin.
FWIW: I have a Protac somewhere in a drawer around the house.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ProTac also has no really low mode if that matters to you at all?

I have all three and they are each very nice lights.
The reason I might pick an ET is for the NW Tint they offer and they are smaller with more UI options overall.

The Streamlight of course offers the battery flexibility but also is a forward clicky switch which is a huge feature for me but YMMV as they say.

You might not realize this yet but you will likely end up with them all anyway so it really does not matter which you start off with!

It is a Curse.

novarider

Newly Enlightened
The ProTac also has no really low mode if that matters to you at all?

I have all three and they are each very nice lights.
The reason I might pick an ET is for the NW Tint they offer and they are smaller with more UI options overall.

The Streamlight of course offers the battery flexibility but also is a forward clicky switch which is a huge feature for me but YMMV as they say.

You might not realize this yet but you will likely end up with them all anyway so it really does not matter which you start off with!

It is a Curse.

The Protac 1L-1AA is a rear click light.

I personally have never found a use for firefly mode on my lights.

I know I will probably end up with all three lights I already have several and every time I look at a new light my wife asks why I need another one. I actually just ordered 2 Armytek lights and 4 more 18650 batteries to use when I work on my vehicles.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forward Clicky means the switch can be pushed just a little and the light will turn on for as long as you hold it there,and yes it is on the rear of the light.

The ET have a Rearward Clicky meaning that the light will not turn on until you fully depress the switch until it clicks and thus you can not get just momentary light or flashing which I use all the time if a light has a forward click switch.

The Protac 1L-1AA is a rear click light.

I personally have never found a use for firefly mode on my lights.

I know I will probably end up with all three lights I already have several and every time I look at a new light my wife asks why I need another one. I actually just ordered 2 Armytek lights and 4 more 18650 batteries to use when I work on my vehicles.

novarider

Newly Enlightened
IMHO: No comparison. D25A reigns supreme. If you really want nice, get a Ti version. You can sometimes catch them on sale for under $50. Killer edc light. Only issue down the road will be having to clean contacts with alcohol. They will get grimy and cause the light to act wacko. It is a non issue to me, but be aware. The wife has washed mine in the machine two times and it still works great after a good drying. lol I own 4 of the D25's in Ti. It is a toss up between the C & A for me. If I were to buy just one, it would likely be the A. Just because the cells are easier to find for the average person. But, get you some 14500s and enjoy the show! Oh, plus they have a GITD tail button & a real pocket clip. Not some cheesy clip on clip!. Just sayin.
FWIW: I have a Protac somewhere in a drawer around the house.

Is the only reason you like the D25a over the D25c the batteries? I would run 14500 in the D25A and 16340/RCR123A in the D25C.

novarider

Newly Enlightened
Forward Clicky means the switch can be pushed just a little and the light will turn on for as long as you hold it there,and yes it is on the rear of the light.

The ET have a Rearward Clicky meaning that the light will not turn on until you fully depress the switch until it clicks and thus you can not get just momentary light or flashing which I use all the time if a light has a forward click switch.

I didn't know that was called forward clicky I would have just called it momentary on.

novarider

Newly Enlightened
I'm having trouble finding a 14500 protected battery. Can someone link me to a decent one? From what I'm reading the d25a doesn't have over discharge protection built into the light.

tops2

Enlightened
It sounded like that maybe the older D25c, it sounds like you "lose" the "medium" mode if you use RCR123/16340. You may only be able to get the medium mode if you use CR123. Apparently newer versions may not have this?
While I didn't end up picking up either the D25a or D25c, I would lean towards D25a for pure pocket EDC mainly for the availability of AA. But I'd go for D25c if its just a for fun light and not to serve as pocket EDC.

Are you interested in the Nichia version? You can try out a Nichia version for the high CRI to see why people love them!

But as others mention, you may end up with all of them!

If you're open to other small pocket EDC lights, I love my Olight S1 (I use 16340 in it). Amazing size/weight to output ratio. There's the "upgraded" Olight S1R neutral white with the rechargeable base. There's the Olight S1A neutral white with also the flexibility of nimh/Eneloops or 14500. But honestly after discovering high CRI lights, I only bring my S1 if my pockets (especially in workout shorts) can't handle the size/weight of my other light that I like to pocket EDC now.

novarider

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a D25a now I just need to find a 14500 protected battery to fit it

tops2

Enlightened

I don't have experience with cells of these size, but if you go to Illumn's website, I'd probably go with one of the Keeppower 14500 batteries. The owners are really friendly so you can contact them as ask which one they'd recommend (especially if there's a fit issue). If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, you can even go in and ask and see if they have demo cells so you can check the fit. Just keep your wallet close if you visit cause you may end up with more lights!

ven

Flashaholic
Yes keeppower are a good option , Sanyo inside . Iirc there are two flavours ,800mah and 840mah of which the latter is a little longer and can be an issue in some lights. Honestly ,if used regular you might be better looking at Sanyo eneloops ,will offer more runtime for day to day uses and won't generate as much heat on higher modes(having less output but still bright enough!)

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast

Orbtronic has some for $7.99

RTD Electronics has AW branded ones for $9.89

I'm sure there are a few other sources but this is just what I pulled off the top of my bookmarks.

novarider

Newly Enlightened
Orbtronic has some for $7.99

RTD Electronics has AW branded ones for $9.89

I'm sure there are a few other sources but this is just what I pulled off the top of my bookmarks.

The black battery they sell is to long and the red one is a flat top and the d25a needs button top. These are the battery compartment specs from Eagletac website.
Diameter: 14-14.6mm
Length: 50-51.2mm

The black battery they sell is 52.9mm long.

The closest I have found is nitecore at 51.9mm which is close but still to long.

I may just have to go with Eneloop aa for it.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
The black battery they sell is to long and the red one is a flat top and the d25a needs button top. These are the battery compartment specs from Eagletac website.
Diameter: 14-14.6mm
Length: 50-51.2mm

The black battery they sell is 52.9mm long.

The closest I have found is nitecore at 51.9mm which is close but still to long.

I may just have to go with Eneloop aa for it.

Or you could go with the AW cell. I have one in front of me and it measures 51mm from button top to bottom. It might be a tight fit but another option would be to strip them of their protection circuits as the ET has low voltage cut out anyway.

Good luck.