FourSevens        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Mark II review

Default Mini Mark II review

I was fortunate enough to be selected to take a look at a pre-production Mini Mark II.
    I posted some comments on my Facebook page but wanted to share it here as well...

FOURSEVENS Mini Mark II Review
    Anyone that knows me knows I’ve had a “thing” for flashlights for quite a long time. It started back in Boy Scouts when on a campout, I noticed my $2 Ray-O-Vac 2D flashlight beam wasn’t even visible on the opposite bank of a narrow river. All the other lights brought by the other Scouts were much brighter. I made sure that next year, I’d have a better and brighter flashlight. And so it began…

Throughout the years I have bought, traded, sold and acquired many, MANY flashlights. Then, a couple years ago, I sold most of them and now have a very lean number of useful (but still cool) lights.

This (pre-production) MINI mark II is one that I would be proud to count among those lights that still remain. It is an EDC-class light which means Every Day Carry. That is a light that is meant to be with you at all times. Maybe on a key chain. Maybe on a lanyard. Or maybe just in a pocket. Regardless of where you carry it, you’ll be glad it’s there.

The light is small, barely longer than a CR123 battery or roughly the diameter of a roll of Life Savers but not as long. The light fits easily in your pocket and can fit nicely in the small pocket on a pair of jeans.

However, the light’s performance is ANYTHING BUT small.
    It has 4 nicely spaced levels of output. The first is sufficient for navigating around the house for those middle-of-the-night runs to either check on the kids or get a drink of water without being too bright. Runtime? How does 7 DAYS at this level sound?
    Changing levels is as easy as quickly turning the light off then back on. Didn’t change? Try it again a bit faster. The next 2 levels are nicely spaced as far as increasing the output; roughly twice as bright as the last. The 4th and brightest mode tops out at a whopping 1020 lumens – the brightest output to date for single CR123 lights. Although, this level is only possible with a custom high-discharge RCR123 battery.
    On a standard CR123 battery the brightest level is extremely bright at around 300 lumens while still maintaining a comfortable temperature while holding the light. It’s impressive how much light blasts from such a small light.

The beam uses special optics to deliver a large, bright hot spot with a nice smooth beam.
    Since this is an EDC light, the beam is tailored to be more wide and floody than more of a spot or narrow beam. Again, perfectly suited for use around the house or checking on the dogs in the backyard or navigating around a dark closet or whatever.

The light offers a nice keychain attachment or a 2-way pocket clip to secure the light in a variety of ways.
    Myself, I prefer a small, sturdy lanyard which easily attaches to the pocket clip.

The light will be available from FOURSEVENS (http://www.foursevens.com/products/ML-IIC-AF) along with the custom high-discharge RCR123. I can’t wait to see what other colors/finishes become available.

This is an amazing light and quite impressive. Truly, one worth fitting in to any collection or the perfect light to start your collection.
    My cool Lights:
    ~ThruNite Scorpion
    ~ThruNite Catapult v2

Default Re: Mini Mark II review

Hi BugLightGeek,

Congratulations on being chosen for a pre-production sample. Very cool! Also, thank you for sharing your review with CPF.

~ Chance

ML-IIC-PRF

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Awesome thanks Chris!

Just ordered my Mini Mk II combo in Autumn PVD copper

Hi wimmer21, Great choice! I think it's the prettiest of all the Mini MK's. OG said that's how you decide all your light purchases; by how pretty they are. Hopefully you'll post some pretty-pictures of it later.

Merry Christmas!

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Chance, that flashlight you're holding is a tv remote control. Yes, that's why it won't turn on.

Merry Christmas buddy!

Oh thank goodness! I thought my TV was broken but I was just trying to turn it on with a flashlight. Now where did I leave my eggnog?

~ Chance

I hope everyone's Mini MkII works better than mine. It is a major mode-skipper. I contacted Foursevens support about the issue two weeks ago and haven't received a response.
    - Terry

Sorry to read you're unhappy with your new Mini Marks. I don't blame you; I'd be unhappy with a major mode-skipper also. I've had my eye on the two titanium models, but haven't been willing to spend the money for two more chargers. Nope. Not gunna do it.
    FourSevens FanBoy - Yes.
    FourSevens Charger FanBoy - Not so much. I don't want three of them.

It's probably for the best. I'm broke.

~ Chance

Wait... what? You mean I have to buy a new charger for the Mini Mk. II that I ordered?

Never mind it comes with something called a Flex Charger. I don't know anything about that so... everyone might want to stand back.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Why do you need their charger for that battery? I'm just starting with a few rechargeables, and have a lot to learn. Some of it is complicated.
    Last edited by RedLED; 12-29-2016 at 06:13 PM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by wimmer21 View Post
    Wait... what? You mean I have to buy a new charger for the Mini Mk. II that I ordered?
    You can purchase the aluminum Mini Mark II sans the charger; but all the pretty ones come with a charger. This isn't a problem if/when you only want one. However, if you were an early adopter and purchased the aluminum Mark II and now you'd like one or two more, you have to purchase a charger with each one. The chargers are cool, but I don't want two or three of them.

~ Chance

Never mind it comes with something called a Flex Charger. I don't know anything about that so... everyone might want to stand back.
    No worries; the Flex Charger is wimmer proof.

~ Chance

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    No worries; the Flex Charger is wimmer proof.

~ Chance
    Where there's a will, there's a way. He's going to send you the hospital bill when he manages to find a way to .

~ Chance

Quote Originally Posted by eraursls1984 View Post
    Where there's a will, there's a way. He's going to send you the hospital bill when he manages to find a way to .
    I would if Chance had any money hey gotta run... somebody's knocking on my door

Quote Originally Posted by NutSAK View Post
    I hope everyone's Mini MkII works better than mine. It is a major mode-skipper. I contacted Foursevens support about the issue two weeks ago and haven't received a response.
    I posted about this on Facebook when this light was first released and a couple of others also posted about this (Flashlight Fanatics group). I find that I have to be very deliberate in the twists when loosening and then tightening to get proper mode advancement. Doesn't give me as much trouble as it did when I first purchased it. Mine is the HA aluminum version.
    Click Here to view my lights

I would if Chance had any money hey gotta run... somebody's knocking on my door
    I've got lots of money. Unfortunately it's the spent kind.

~ Chance

Quote Originally Posted by moshow9 View Post
    I posted about this on Facebook when this light was first released and a couple of others also posted about this (Flashlight Fanatics group). I find that I have to be very deliberate in the twists when loosening and then tightening to get proper mode advancement. Doesn't give me as much trouble as it did when I first purchased it. Mine is the HA aluminum version.
    I concur. VERY deliberate. I've owned 5-6 MkIs, and all of them could be used one-handed with no mode skipping, and only needed to be turned 1/8 turn or less to eliminate accidental activation. The MkII's requirement of "deliberate twists" as you point out, and the fact that the head must be loosened 1/2 a turn to eliminate accidental activation is a major step back in generational product development, IMO. Two hands and concentration to not skip modes are a requirement for operation of the MkII.

These are the loosest threads I've encountered in a twisty flashlight in years, and I wonder if it might be worse on my solid copper unit vs. a coated one.
    Last edited by NutSAK; 12-30-2016 at 07:19 AM.
    - Terry

Oh boy... two hands to operate this light?... that's a major bummer.

Should've done more research before placing my order.

Oh boy... two hands to operate this light?... that's a major bummer.

Should've done more research before placing my order.
    I think FourSevens will allow you to return it if you should so desire. Another reason they're a great company to conduct business with.

~ Chance

I think FourSevens will allow you to return it if you should so desire. Another reason they're a great company to conduct business with.

~ Chance
    This is my first FourSevens light so I'm going to keep a positive attitude and expect that I will enjoy it.

This is my first FourSevens light so I'm going to keep a positive attitude and expect that I will enjoy it.
    I've heard they're habit forming ...... probably not true.

~ Chance

Wow Chance I had know idea... pretty sure I will like my new FourSevens light after seeing this ringing endorsement. Impressive... and I really like your display. My light table is just a big hodgepodge. :-)

Thanks, wimmer. I think you'll be happy with your Mark II. I was experimenting with the aluminum one yesterday, and found it to be somewhat "tight", especially when using one hand to switch modes. I've read that some people don't experience any difficulty doing so, so it's probably a matter of dexterity and break-in time. Member NutSAK, Terry, schooled me to be deliberate when switching modes, which I found to be very helpful advice.

~ Chance

Just got it...... freakin love love it!

So tiny... so gorgeous... so powerful. I really like the clearly defined hot spot, and so far I've had no issues with the U.I.

Thanks FourSevens!

You too Chance! :-))))

Thanks for the update. Now, when you stop playing with it, post a picture, Bro!

~ Chance

Ugly pic deleted
    Last edited by wimmer21; 01-09-2017 at 12:37 AM.

I'm having no difficulty operating my Mini Mk II with one hand, and I'm only turning it a tiny bit to change modes. I can scroll through all 4 modes, without skipping, in about 2 seconds. Only when I turn too far do I occasionally skip a mode. I find that if you turn back to the left the instant the light deactivates you will be in next mode every time.

I simply can't brag enough about the Autumn PVD Copper.

NOTE: I could not operate this light with one hand at first. The secret is, of course, in how you grip this light. Curl your middle finger around the tail, while holding firmly against the upper part of your palm (lowest joint of same finger), then twist the head with your forefinger and thumb. Only takes a few minutes practice.

Last edited by wimmer21; 01-25-2017 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Added photo

I've had and used Mini123's as my EDC ever since they were introduced. I love the new MKII but I have to ask why Mode 6 doesn't start with Moon mode? The idea of Moon mode is to have something just barely bright enough to get around in the dark without bothering anyone and probably other reasons. Having it at the tail end of Mode 6 means you have to start the light in at least low mode (if not a higher mode that you turned off last from) and the moment this is done, your night vision is destroyed so when you eventually get to Moon mode, you can no longer see its' low level of light nor where you're going. It just seem Mon Mode should be first. Am I missing something? It's really a big disappointment in an otherwise perfect EDC.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast