Arc4 flickering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes my Arc4 flickers, almost rythmatically. And sometimes it is real noticeable. Even when I change batteries it still does it, all all brightness levels (that I use normally like level 1, 3, 4, 16).

Is this power regulation? Or is something wrong?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I don't know about the flickering Sean, but I do know as it's stepping down between settings, you get a momentary off/on of the beam. Is this what you're getting? Also, on the earlier software versions, it was a very pronounced stepping-down, but I wouldn't call it flickering.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
could it be the pulse wave modulation? i know at the lowest brightness level the flickering becomes noticeable if you wave the light around quickly.

Skyline

Enlightened
I notice the flickering too, at levels 1, 4, 10, and 16. I believe it's the PWM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm running 116 software.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
I notice the flickering too, at levels 1, 4, 10, and 16. I believe it's the PWM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm running 116 software.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's discouraging and surprising; it reminds me of the constant flicker my old "classic" Eternalight would produce at lower power levels, but which has been corrected in newer models. If the ARC4 exhibits this same characteristic that would probably make it a no sale for me. I hope that can be corected in later models.

Brightnorm

dtsoll

Enlightened
I've got a first and a second with the new software and don't have the problem! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone with the new software seen this?

[/ QUOTE ]

0836 here, bagged 02-05-04. I'm sure it's newest FW.

Yes flickering is noticeable at L16. Only appears at L16.

Now my curiosity is got me so I will break out the PV and toggle through all the levels and see what is going on.

Cheers!

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
T_I_N, no it's not the stepping down. That is real noticeable.

I'll try and describe it better. It looks like an LSH when your pressing momentarily on a bad kroll switch. It looks like a bad/int ground were you loose just a slight bit of brightness. But it does it at different intervals, sometimes rythmatically, sometimes worse. I see it at level 3 & 1 and even 16, so I don't know what it is. I cleaned the top of the battery tube off repeatedly were it touches the ground inside the head to make sure the ground is secure.

I noticed it doing this right away at level 16, but I didn't notice it doing it anymore until recently when I was looking for something behind the couch (at level 3 or 4) and it was loosing a fair amount of brightness and instantly returning (looking like an LSH flicker when your pressing a "bad" kroll), to the point I thought it was the battery, but I could "boost" to level 1 no problem.

I just double checked it at level 3 against a wall and it does this rythmatically at almost precisely 1 second intervals. Kinda like a heart beat. It's hard to notice and not that bad. My main concern is that when I was using it to look behind the couch the other day it did this very noticably many times, but at intervals greater than 1 second. Maybe 2-3 seconds. I'm using a Sanyo cell right now. I just tried a Surefire cell and I get the same 1 per second "twitch". Almost hard to tell if it's a pulse or a drop in light. Just tried a new duracell and the same thing. Level 16 goes good and then "twitches" several times and then stableizes, only to start over again.

Hope this helps, and doesn't make it more confusing.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without seeing it I don't know. It might be normal, it might just be an older version of the software.

Peter

Jarhead

Banned
Various folks have different perception issues. I've had folks in my lab that wouldn't notice 30 Hz PWM, and I've had others that can see it clear up to 70 Hz PWM 50% duty cycle. And the perception greatly changes depending on duty cycle.

One fella could see 130Hz at a 1:1000 PWM ratio with no problem.

Judging from the recorded ARC RF interference sounds, it seems like it could be pretty low frequency PWM. That could definitely cause problems for some users, and not others.

Got a web cam? Post a video.

Status
Not open for further replies.