SC600FD MKIII PLUS Yay or nay?

Auringonvalo

Newly Enlightened
1500 Lm mode runs about 1-2 mins at ~ 20c (~68f) ambient temperature before stepping down and doesn't run much longer until -10c (14f) where it runs about 5 mins or so. That makes this light a bit questionable because 1500 Lm really lits indoors nicely and nearby surroundings, but can't do that long because of overheating. Basically this light could shine in cold weather like -30c (-22f) or so for decent 1500 Lm runtime (I'm going to test this when cold enough).

This is probably the only major negative thing for me. LEDs just aren't efficient enough to produce lots of light in compact light without heat issues. In my opinion, Zebralight should had chosen more cooling mass for longer 1500 Lm runtime. SC600Fd is quite small now and they aimed for a pocket light, but at least my pockets have room for a bigger light.

Maybe there is a bit hope and they just tweaked the thermal controlling tight so that the flashlight won't get too hot to hold with bare hands. They could then tell the code to loose that controlling, if you hold it with a glove or something. Zebralight could also release an attachment which would help to spread the heat for longer 1500 Lm runtime, but I don't know, if that kind of solution makes much difference.

Last edited:

TCY

Enlightened
No single 18650 lights can do >800 lumens (maybe less) without any forms of stepping down, there's just not enough mass to dissipate the heat. Turbo modes on 1*18650 light is more of a "hey look at my cool light" or "I wanna heat up my food" mode.

For ZL lights you can tweak the PID setting so thermal regulation can be tighter or looser based on your preference.

The only downside of this light I could think of is the battery restriction. It's very picky when it comes to battery (unprotected, flat head, 65-65.2mm, >8A current) so make sure you have the right battery.

Last edited:

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have big hands and find ZL's a bit pokey for finding the button also I agree that their lights are just too small for the outputs of these big leds for proper heat sinking so when you fire them up they step down so quick from heat that you might as well have bought an xml version.
If you can handle the extra bit of length go with an Armytek Prime C2 Pro XHP35 putting out more than ZL but not only will it step down when hot it will step back up when cool enough plus you will get more throw because of the optics + battery status/beacon/removable magnet in tail - same with their wizard pro with XHP50 the interface is just so good.

Last edited:

Auringonvalo

Newly Enlightened
For ZL lights you can tweak the PID setting so thermal regulation can be tighter or looser based on your preference.
How I can do that? There is no risk for damage so that the flashlight body just becomes hotter than normal?

TCY

Enlightened
How I can do that? There is no risk for damage so that the flashlight body just becomes hotter than normal?

From ZL website:
PID Thermal Regulation Temperature Programming for two highest output levels:

• Turn off the light from H1 and then turn back on to H1
  • Press and hold to cycle from Low to High 6 times
  • On the 7th (or more) cycle, release the switch
    • when High to add 1 degree C (up to 5 max)
    • when Med to revert back to the factory default
    • when Low to subtract 1 degree C (up to 5 max)

I think the default "kick in" temp is 53c so even if you set it to 58 it is still well below the critical working temperature of components, being 80+.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy mine. It depends on what you plan to use it for. Outdoors? Not a great outdoor light due to the diffuse beam. Indoors or up close? Excellent for those applications which is how I mostly use mine. Would make a good walking light too since it'll illuminate everything in a wide arc. Tint on mine is excellent. It's a bit different from their other lights like the MK2 which has a more focused beam.

JStraus

Newly Enlightened
For nearer tasks like walking dog at night or camp chores, this light is extremely pleasant to use. I love mine. It's a great nightstand light and lights up stuff farther than you would expect being a frosted lens and all.

markr6

Flashaholic
Do you mean other/older models instead of "previous"? If so, I'd rather have something like the SC600w III that isn't so floody. I don't mind a flooder, but the standard MK III seems to be a good compromise to cover many more applications. Not high CRI, but even a tint snob like me can handle it.