Help me replace my SF pressure switch.

Jbraman

Newly Enlightened
Okay so my Google fu doesn't work so well tonight. I can't for the life of me figure out the name or model of this tail cap so I can replace the pressure switch. Nothing I've searched for looks remotely like this. I need to either replace with the same kind of pressure switch or replace with a clicky switch. Can some of you light geniuses point me in the right direction please?

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums...C-903E-4D81-B5FD-6329E955203E_zpsqz1q3dlv.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums...D-CCE3-47A6-9774-B6A52CB0B900_zpsxaiqnfsp.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums...4-716E-4818-B7CF-19AB2883E783_zpsnax509jl.jpg

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new one of those tail caps with pressure switch laying on the table here along with a billion other parts. Let me see if I can figure out what pressure switch you need, but I might not get back to you until tomorrow. I can't remember the model designation of that particular tail cap, but I know it typically came with the M951 (fat body) for a short while and not many are around.

Last edited:

Jbraman

Newly Enlightened
I have a new one of those tail caps with pressure switch laying on the table here along with a billion other parts. Let me see if I can figure out what pressure switch you need, but I might not get back to you until tomorrow. I can't remember the model designation of that particular tail cap, but I know it typically came with the M951 (fat body) for a short while and not many are around.

Im perfectly willing to go clicky switch too

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found on the table an unopened (Surefire model designation S02) switch that looks exactly the same, but the cable length is only 2". Not sure if that's good enough for your uses. It looks like you have the S06 6" version. I found a new one on Ebay for $87. I'm sure I have several new ones around here, PM me if you're interested and if I find one I'll sell it to you for a much better price.

Last edited:

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Your switch is a UM07 from the pic's but the length of the pressure switch designates what the number means. The tailcap body is a UMxx though. If you have the tools and the skills it's a pretty easy job of removing the old cable/switch assy and installing a new one. However you will need a piece of heat shrink to seal the end and a 1/8" drill bit to clear the old materials from the tailcap insert. They are factory sealed with the old surefire "black goo sealant" so drilling out the inside will be necessary. Lastly a small allen wrench will be needed to loosen the clamping set screw and a heat source to soften the black goo.

If you don't have any of the above it's probably simpler to just buy nip old stock. On the other hand if want to upgrade buy an XMxx switch and you can buy a ST07. Or if you call Surefire you might get them to just send you one of the above. While they have these parts in stock. Sometime in the future they will no longer be able to support the warranty on these old classics.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
m4a1usr, I think you are thinking of a different switch. I have the exact same switch as the OP and there is no black goo, just a VERY fat o-ring and you can pull the switch right out the front easily, I just did earlier today. I think you might be thinking of the older Laser Products switch, of which I have one example right next to it. Please let me know your further thoughts I could be incorrect since SF has had so many variations over the years.

Last edited:

m4a1usr

Enlightened
m4a1usr, I think you are thinking of a different switch. I have the exact same switch as the OP and there is no black goo, just a VERY fat o-ring and you can pull the switch right out the front easily, I just did earlier today. I think you might be thinking of the older Laser Products switch, of which I have one example right next to it. Please let me know your further thoughts I could be incorrect since SF has had so many variations over the years.

Yeah I can see from my post that I didn't get as technical in description as I could have. My intent was to explain that JUST the pressure switch can be replaced in those S0xx inserts that install in a UMxx body. Meaning you take the S0xx assy apart and use a STxx pressure switch with the end connector cut off. I forget sometimes that not all have the ability to take things apart to the most basic components and resurrect them. Here's a box of them I need to get off my butt and finish up. Got a few half way done, a few finished, but many more await replacing the pressure switch. The 3 in the middle of the pic are completed using the earlier STxx PS series as to look 100% original even though the latter STxx PS would be better having better longevity and durability.