Arc4+ 16 Levels: Estimated Run Times & Brightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
folks,
i've taken some actual Arc4+ run times that have been posted on CPF, statements by Peter @ Arc, best guessimates by flashaholics and basic deduction to come up with this chart. i'm sure it can use corrections and i invite everyone to put in their two-cents...

Arc4+ 16 Power Levels: Estimated Run Times & Brightness

Level 1 - 15 Min @ 600 Lux followed by 1 ½ hr at 500 Lux - High Level (Fixed)

Level 2 - 2 hours @ 500 Lux

Level 3 - 3 hours @ 400 Lux

Level 4 - 4 hours @ 300 Lux

Level 5 - 6 hours @ 225 Lux

Level 6 - 8 hours @ 175 Lux

Level 7 - 12 hours @ 125 Lux - Adjustable Level

Level 8 - 16 hours @ 90 Lux

Level 9 - 1 day @ 70 Lux

Level 10 - 1 ½ days @ 50 lux

Level 11 - 2 days @ 40 Lux

Level 12 - 3 days @ 30 Lux

Level 13 - 4 days @ 20 Lux

Level 14 - 6 days @ 15 Lux

Level 15 - 8 days @ 10 Lux

Level 16 - 10+ days @ 5 Lux - Low Level (Fixed)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Thank you for that EXCELLENT post! It's possible that some of the details will be "tuned up" by our members, but this is an excellent start!

83Venture

Enlightened
Thank you for the info. I posted this question several weeks ago but got no replies. This is the first list I have seen that covers all 16 levels. Again Thanks.

absoLite

Newly Enlightened
Re: Arc4+ 16 Levels: Estimated Run Times & Brightn

Very useful info !

Something like this should even be added to the manual, I think.

Spacemarine

Enlightened
This should really get into the Faq, because I think thats very usefull to every Arc4 owner. Perhaps you could draw a nice graph from this measurements?

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks everyone for the kind words.

T-I-N: nope, these are in no way confirmed. in fact TIN, i took some of the info from your recent LS run-time graph (and many thanks for doing it and posting it!!!).

remember, these numbers are only my best estimates based on found info. i'd hope that someday these numbers can be confirmed by one of you pros who have the testing gear and electronic knowledge.

as for me making a graph, i wouldn't know how. anybody else want to jump in and do one, please feel free. this list is now the property of everyone at CPF so anyone can use it as they wish.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think you're going to see an official run time chart anytime soon. I have several 4+s, and the current draw varies tremendously between them. I don't see how an accurate run time chart can be created with these variables present. The 4+'s calibrated brightness is often not very kind to your batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Peter

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

i think it would be possible to have a ballpark set of runtimes for both the standard and premium arc4s, based on the acceptable current draw standards for both though.

sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East

Unless there's serious variation between samples I think this would work. At least by class (4 and 4+). All levels within plus or minus ten percent, etc.

What is the runtime of locator, level 16? Probably measured in years LOL.

Cheers!

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
based on the acceptable current draw standards for both though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which are...? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Peter

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

well, i was hoping peter gransee himself would chime in since he's aware of those figures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Peter

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

pass it around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

kj

Enlightened

In the FAQ, Arc stated the runtime would vary by as much as 50% and I believe this is true.

I've actually estimated the runtime of all levels based on my runtime results, but I've not posted the result since it cannot be accurate. Now I just uploaded my result to my Arc4 page since the attempt to estimate the runtime has started in any way and you guys probably want data as much as possible.

I agree that's great if Peter Gransee gives us the runtime result of all levels with his average Arc4/Arc4+ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
thanks everyone for the kind words.

T-I-N: nope, these are in no way confirmed. in fact TIN, i took some of the info from your recent LS run-time graph (and many thanks for doing it and posting it!!!).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was fearful of and that's why I asked. No where do I ever mention Lux/CP/Lumens as a unit of measurement in my testing. Those numbers I posted mean nothing other than a comparative way to measure the difference in light output from each unit, during each test.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast

TIN-

that's a reasonable question.

i offer you this in answer to your comment on Lux/CP/Lumens:

the only reason i chose to use LUX in the above list was because peter himself used it in his "Arc4 Advanced Instructions" CPF posting

(http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ub...=436125&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

where he said: "...Output: (600 lux at 1 meter for 15 minutes, 300 lux at 1 meter for 2 hours)..."

seeing as we don't have access to more exacting specs (ie: Lumens) and all i was hoping for at this point was a comparative list, i took that 600 Lux as my highest possible brightness and then figured the lower levels as a portion of that.

to determine those lower levels i again referred to info on that same page where peter stated: "...Every two settings
brighter will halve the battery life and every two settings dimmer will double the battery life.... The efficiency of the LED increases when the LED is run at lower power settings. The increase in efficiency can exceed 40% by 6 settings below the maximum setting."

i then used his suggested ratios, along with CPFer info, including your chart where we can see how quickly the brightness drops off when used in Level 1 (i didn't use your output numbers, only the way the brightness changed and the ratios between the two different levels of the Arc4+ you tested), to come up with the above estimates.

while it is my hope that we will someday have a real run-time chart to view, i think this existing list will for now at least help us in deciding how to best use our Arc4+ flashlights.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast

kj-
i just took a quick look at your Arc4 webpage. nice work on all your estimates.
i need to spend some time reviewing them and hopefully will find info useful in updating my list. i would be happy to have any direct input you'd like to offer.
-coyote

Status
Not open for further replies.