SureFire rechargeable CR123 Magazine conversion to accept 18650 battery

carlosdantez

Newly Enlightened
I own a surefire UBR invictus 1000 lumen flashlight as well as the UNR Commander 1000 lumen output as well. If your familiar with those type of rechargeable flashlights I'm sure you know that they are dual feed capable of using CR123's as well as a rechargeable battery stick. I have a feeling that the rechargeable battery is a 18650 type battery. Well after looking at the design one can modify the CR123 battery magazine and fit it with a 18650w battery. The reason I would want to modify the magazine to accept a standard 18650. The reason I would like to convert my magazine is because of the cost of disposable CR123 batterys. Second because when you use the 2 CR123 batterys in the flashlight it cuts the max lumens in half turning your 1000 lumen flashlight to a 500 lumens. The run time also gets cut in half which makes having to use 2 CR123's practically worthless. It's a nice feature but I would rather run it at full power with extra run time as well as save a few dollars on not having to buy CR123's. I have reason to believe that the reason SureFire discontinued the Invictus and Commander is because on can modify the battery magazine to except a 18650. I'm not rocket scientist but I have an idea that might make the SureFire rechargeable flashlights very desirable. The R1 Law man stick comes with the dual battery magazines which can give someone a reason to want to acquire one. Was wondering if anyone has done a conversion yet? I know it's easier said then done but one day I'm gonna make a prototype and but my idea into play just wanted to share my innovated idea

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always wanted a R1 Lawman but haven't bought one because of the proprietary battery. I would love to see a 18650 conversion made.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm,
:thinking:
I see not much sense to use such a long host, or to spent such an amount, when the obvious best solution is so obvious:
SF 6p (or comparable Solarforce, or other makers host), bored to 18650, + p60 led insert.

But from the few pictures i just found, that surely is an 18650 in that propriety battery Stick.

Picture quality very low and only from one side, but to me that seems to be contacts on both sides?
So you possibly can simply put in an 18650 and some Kind of "cell extender" for the added lenght needed.
That could - extremely crude - be a round wooden stick with a nail punched trough.
;)

Maybe there is already a solution at homemade & modified flashlights?

Last edited:

carlosdantez

Newly Enlightened
After measuring the magazine the holds 2 CR123 battery's the distance from the negative side of the battery on the rear is exactly 75mm to the positive post of the leading battery. The gap that seperates the two cells is roughly 6mm. After extensive research on 18650 specs I found that a olight 18650 3.6V 3600 mAH which is a 500 mAh increase that the stock 3.6v 2900 mAh battery OEM battery. Did dimensions of the olight 18650 is 18.5mm in diameter and 69mm in lenght. I was just curious if anyone has converted the disposiable battery magazine tray and modified it to accept a 18650 battery. Haven't had to time to create a prototype to see if it will work. What I was trying to get at if the modification is a success it would definitely be a life hack on the SureFire rechargeable flashlights in my opinion. The modification is very beneficial to the end user as far as performance and economical. You can maintain lumen output as well as increase the flashlights run time and last but not least save money by not having to buy CR123's also take into consideration that you wouldn't have to recharge the battery and wait 2-3 hours to recharge the battery. Simply pop in the other magazine try with the 18650 battery and your in business. "Necessity is the mother of invention however I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel I'm simply making it better. It's called innovation.

CigarPundit

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone attempted this? Might by my alternative to opening up the proprietary stick pack and attempting to replace the cell.