Please recommend a High output LED flashlight with long run time.

job

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys

Would you guys recommend me a LED torch with hight output 1000lm++ and long run time 3Hrs++.
Currently in my mind is Xtar B20 Pilot-II is all I need but not sure about others brand can works better than B20.

Xtar is a good quality brand ?

And for the charger Xtar - Dragon VP4 Plus is a top one ? I'm looking for overall charger that can charge any batteries.

Thanks

Poppy

Flashaholic
Output and run-time are inversely proportional. IE the higher the output, the shorter period of time the battery will be able to supply enough energy to make it work. A single 18650 battery can not supply enough energy to light an LED at 1000 lumens for three hours.

A 5100 mah 26650 battery can power an LED to deliver about 600 lumens for about 3 hours.

When light manufacturers, often list numbers than can exceed what their battery can supply, they can do that for two reasons.
1. ANSI standards rate run-time as the time it will run until the output drops to 10% of where it started.
2. The light drops down from its turbo, and high, output level, but stays above the cut off level. Lower levels take less energy, so the battery lasts longer.

job

Newly Enlightened
Output and run-time are inversely proportional. IE the higher the output, the shorter period of time the battery will be able to supply enough energy to make it work. A single 18650 battery can not supply enough energy to light an LED at 1000 lumens for three hours.

A 5100 mah 26650 battery can power an LED to deliver about 600 lumens for about 3 hours.

When light manufacturers, often list numbers than can exceed what their battery can supply, they can do that for two reasons.
1. ANSI standards rate run-time as the time it will run until the output drops to 10% of where it started.
2. The light drops down from its turbo, and high, output level, but stays above the cut off level. Lower levels take less energy, so the battery lasts longer.

How about Xtar B20 Pilot-II? This can be trust able? Operate at 1100lm up to 3.3h with 18650 (3100mAh)

Last edited by a moderator:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Nitecore TM16GT. It takes four 18650 cells, and its High mode is rated at 1500 lumens for three hours fifteen minutes. It uses Automatic Thermal Regulation, so it does not have an automatic stepdown of a fixed amount. It just steps down far enough to bring the temp of the head back down to the acceptable range. With a one kilometer rated through on the 3600 lumen turbo, High should still throw a considerable distance.

alex21

Newly Enlightened
Hi Team,

Thought about posting a brand new thread in the Recommend me section (please advise if that's what I am best to do..)

Basically need a high-ish lumen light that is big enough to handle heat for 1+ hour and can light up a average sized backyard.. so flood over throw..

Tint is not of particular concern.. neutral preferred.. a mule would be perfect.. like Vinh's mods (which are great but can push the price up a bit)

Since this is for the fam who aren't flashoholics.. budget light preferred or up to $150 USD max if possible..

Had a few ideas of my own..

- A zoomie or flood to throw light? The Sipik AA started this game for many of us.. and flood/throw (obv flood here) can be quite impressive with how much grounnd they can cover..
- Popcan light.. maybe the Manker MK36.. could this run on 'high' placed on concrete for its designated amount of time without significant damage? How well do these popcan lights handle heat
- A conventional 'large' thrower such as the Olight Intimidator with a diffuser? The idea here it is large enough to handle a fair amount of heat.. or any large light I guess..
- A work light.. don't know much about these.. prefereably battery operated..

Also The Olight X6 with external battery pack looks ideal but still quite pricey even though its getting on in years..

Would appreciate any tips!

Thank you!

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight ProTac HL 5-X has a medium output setting of 1000 lumens and a quoted run time of 3 hours on the standard 18650 batteries that Streamlight supplies.

GoVegan

Enlightened
Fenix PD36R. It uses a 21700, 5000mAh rechargeable battery. 1600 lumens for nearly 3 hours or 800 lumens for nearly 6 hours. It's only a bit bigger than the 18650 PD35 lights. Due to the larger battery capacity the PD36R outperforms the Xtar B20 Pilot-II in nearly every aspect.