Utorch UT02 similar to Manker U21?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just pulled the trigger on a Utorch UT02 NW, the specs are exactly the same as Manker U21. I would have gotten the Manker but Gearbest is out of the NW versions. The UT02 is cheaper and also there is a great deal from dazed1.

Jomohr84

Newly Enlightened
I strongly considered buying one, but read on another forum that it has lower output than the U21, that turbo current measured at the tailcap is around half of the u21, and this has kept me from ordering one. Would like to see more testing and in depth review on it, it looks really nice!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I just received the light today, what a great albeit slightly belated Christmas gift which I bought for myself haha.

Ordered on Dec 19th, received it 10 days later!! Woo hoo! Let me go play with it for a bit before posting pictures or something, I am afraid I do not have the technical expertise to review (humanities background) but will try so please go easy on me and ask questions (non technical please) if you have 'em.

Jomohr84

Newly Enlightened
I received my Manker U21 and guess what, I tested it at 2.6a on turbo, so looks like these are about identical aside from the switch. Helluva deal!

Jomohr84

Newly Enlightened
Manker shipped it with a protected 26650, I have ordered a couple keeppower imrs and am going to test again and see if that is the limiting factor

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to know the back story on this. I mean the ut02 looks and functions like a copy of a U21 developed by Manker. Are we seeing the result of some agreement or joint venture? Or are we seeing IP and patent fraud in action?
We've seen Manker and Astrolux joint models in the past; hopefully this is another.
Else, buying or praising the ut02 seems unethical to me.

romteb

Enlightened
Are we seeing the result of some agreement or joint venture? Or are we seeing IP and patent fraud in action?

Manker called this Utorch thing "disgusting" on BLF, so no agreement, this is china so who knows who designs what, who manufactures what etc...and good luck having IP enforced there :twothumbs

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
The story is GearBest ripped off Manker and is selling their products at a lower price point, nothing more to it. It's entirely possible the lights are even produced in the same factory. BLF blames Manker for enforcing minimum advertised pricing, and doesn't care about their involvement in the community over there as well as a recent large donation to a popular user to fund light development. Basically, Manker found out exactly why it's called Budget Light Forum.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's disappointing and a real shame. Manker is trying to build a business and create products, and they're being ripped off.

Before anyone buys a UT02, consider the "deal" you're getring.

The U21 thread I saw over there was disturbing. The masses got mad that the light wasn't $40 and that they weren't given some special discount. I'm sorry, but at $65 the Manker is a heck of a value (budget) light already.

romteb

Enlightened
I think you have mistaken China for a place where IP is recognized and BLF for a group that could do anything about it, BLF also isn't by any strectch of the imagination a monolithic entity where all users think the same, the opinions are so diverse at BLF that there is even a dim witted tiny fraction that wouldn't think twice about painting all CPF members with the same brush.

fedcas

Newly Enlightened
I was about to buy it because of the 33 USD deal, but then I read a few reviews and I really don't like the fact the the led is underdriven. Actually I was looking for thrower bigger than my C8 (not huge like the convoy L6, still easy to carry), without spending too much, but I don't think this UT02 will significally outperform my C8 with XP-L HI and FET+7135 driver... so what's the point in carrying a bulkier flashlight?

I mean, the host looks awesome, but considering the 12V Led and the electronic switch, I don't think it's easy to swap just the driver (I wouldn't care losing the charging if the led is driver at its full potential). The people who had the failed driver, what have you used to replace it?

Of course modding the original driver is always an option, but this particular light seems to have an easy failing driver even in stock...

I a bit confused :s what would you suggest? Also the deal is ending very soon...

Anthony17

Newly Enlightened
Manker is trying to build a business and create products, and they're being ripped off.

Really? 🤔 I'd never heard of them untill recently IV been lurking a number of years and they seemed to just pop up.

Anyways as for create products...the UT02 is an OEM product they are likely just reselling from a factory under many brands.

"Manker" have some very "Inspired" lights of of there big brands such as MK34, MK35, MK41.

I see design taken to an almost clone point in these lights.

Other lights have less obvious design traits like the E11 and E02.

Yet they are asking premium prices us expect from Olight or Fenix or eagletac ect...