Dropbox is ending the Public folder

markr6

Flashaholic
Dropbox has started sending mails to users informing about a change to their Public folder which will soon become a Private folder. With the new change, Dropbox Public folder will become Private and the links to the files will be deactivated. The file hosting service however stresses that the files will remain in Dropbox and won't be deleted.

"We're always looking to improve the Dropbox sharing experience. The Public folder was the first sharing method we introduced, and since then, we've built even better ways for you to share securely and work together with your team. As a result, we'll soon be ending support for the Public folder," the Dropbox team said in a mail to users.

The company has announced that the Dropbox Basic users will be able to use the Public folder until March 15, 2017. After the date, the files in Public folder will be made private automatically.

They added:

"If you'd like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators,".

Well, no. I can't do that unless I wanted to go thru 7000 posts and then talk an admin into letting me update URLs. No thanks.

That's too bad. I have a bazillion photos shared on this forum that will go :poof: as of March 15. That's really going to mess up a lot of threads...kind of like the little kitten images the other hosting site uses. But instead of using a placeholder image, Dropbox simply displays nothing.So anyone reading a thread won't even know a photo was there. I'm not paying a monthly fee to upgrade either.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Is it to keep the Russians from hacking computers with the photo as the entry point?

I was just seriously wondering that same thing about my shared photobucket pix... not the Russian part but the crack in the wall part..