brightness ratio spill / hotspot

oeL

Newly Enlightened
Hi Armytek,

could you please try to change the reflector design of predator and barracuda a bit, so that the hotspot gets brighter and the spill darker? For the far distance lights a bright spill is not only wasted but also quite disturbing - when the grass lights up before your feet, you won't see the deer 300 m away...

Altogether the new XPH35 Armytek / Barracudas are really nice, and a great evolution from for example the v2.0 Predator with XP-G2. But I'm sure you are already collecting ideas for a future release ;-)

ArmyTek

Enlightened
Hi Armytek,

could you please try to change the reflector design of predator and barracuda a bit, so that the hotspot gets brighter and the spill darker? For the far distance lights a bright spill is not only wasted but also quite disturbing - when the grass lights up before your feet, you won't see the deer 300 m away...

Altogether the new XPH35 Armytek / Barracudas are really nice, and a great evolution from for example the v2.0 Predator with XP-G2. But I'm sure you are already collecting ideas for a future release ;-)

Thank you for your idea. What model of predator and barracuda do you mention?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
very interesting observation. I personally love how eeeeeeverything is SO much brighter!!! I have 5 new XHP AT's and they are all awesome. Only thing I miss is the sweet defined wide corona of the XP-L HI PP's. I mean it is still kind of there but not like it was. Still WOW these lights are bright! Just got the Viking Pro Warm White XHP and it is so bright I find myself almost never using max output lol

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Armytek,

For a dedicated long distance spotter or mounted hunting light, yes less spill might be more useful. For tactical lights or even search and rescue lights, you need the brighter spill to see more at closer ranges without the tunnel vision effect.

oeL

Newly Enlightened
For tactical lights or even search and rescue lights, you need the brighter spill to see more at closer ranges without the tunnel vision effect.

A certain spill, yes, 100% OK. You should see the ground before your feet and the objects around the hotspot as well. But with the current (XPH35) models it's a bit too much spill in my eyes.

Scenario: You point the hotspot towards something that's 50, 100 or 300 m away. You hold the flashlight in your hand (maybe 1.20 m above ground) and nearly parallel to the ground, maybe some degrees up. The starting line of the spill hits the ground at about 3 meters from your position. Even with a weak spill the ground is much brighter than the objects in the hotspot, because the line is much nearer. And that's preventing you from seeing distant objects.
Holding the flashlight over your head helps a bit, but reducing the spill would be better.
Maybe a hotspot optimized reflector, and a diffuser filter?