Surefire M3LT-S/KX9T-S LED mod

foxtrot824

Enlightened
I look the plunge and decided to crack open the head open on the M3LT-S that I just purchased. Did some preliminary measurements on it, measured about 140 lumens on low and 740 on high. There was no correction factor applied for the light so I'd consider the lumen values pretty close to advertised. On high the CCT measured 6000K and about 67 CRI, a little above the line. To my surprise the emitter was an XM-L 1! I'm shooting for warmer and higher CRI. I'll keep update the thread once I have an LED selected.

Last edited:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
how hard was it to get that head open? been wanting to get an upgrade for my M6LT for a while now... i think it came out when the highest binned 1st gen XM-L was the T5 or T6

foxtrot824

Enlightened
Lots of heat, lots. I carefully used a torch on the head over the course of a few minutes and still had to battle with the strap wrenches to get it open.

pulstar

Enlightened
WOW! Great job, can't wait to see the results! My UB3T also waits for a warmer LED. :) You just might be the first to open Surefire head with fresnel lens...:twothumbs
Blessed and merry Christmas!

foxtrot824

Enlightened
Sooooo getting the head off the body was no easy take, took lots of heat (held it over the fire on the stove with gloves on) but finally got it open.

The driver looks pretty complicated, has a Microchip part and lots of hardware. I'll probably end up selling off the body and driver so I can up the current to the LED.

foxtrot824

Enlightened
2d1tlwo.jpg

foxtrot824

Enlightened
It is warm! 3000K XHP-50.2, Mountain Electronics 2.5A driver, and a Fivemega 2x32650 body. About a 1000 lumens at full blast.

jso902

Enlightened
Nice job. After destroying a kl3, I've been hesitant with heat and strap wrenches. I've melted a few.

foxtrot824

Enlightened
I've been there, there is such a thing as too much heat. I think that's why the hot water method is good but I'm not that patient so I just take a torch to them and hope for the best :)

Not to mention melting TIR lenses....... I managed to melt one of a KL3.....

Eric

SYZYGY

Enlightened
any chance for fresh pics of cracking the head open? the old pics have rotted away :(

also, was the front of the head screwed on or just press fit with glue?

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
any chance for fresh pics of cracking the head open? the old pics have rotted away :(

also, was the front of the head screwed on or just press fit with glue?

There's a thread locker - a heat gun and a large wrench and a vice are needed

My friend recently carried out another modification, installed XHP50.3 HI, the beam became denser, before that it was XHP50.2 HD. An excellent hunting flashlight without unnecessary side light, like reflectors. Driver standard M6LT

SF M6LT 1.jpg
SF M6LT 2.jpg
SF M6LT 3.jpg

The speed is increased by 4 times, the ribs are located very well