Smallest light with button

7hns

Newly Enlightened
What's the smallest light with a button switch? I am referring to a standard form factor, not something like a Tip. I love my E15 because of size but there is something about the one handed nature of the d25c.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the smallest light with a button switch? I am referring to a standard form factor, not something like a Tip. I love my E15 because of size but there is something about the one handed nature of the d25c.

Smallest I can think of at the moment would be AAA format in a Copper Tool (mechanical switch) or Titanium Tool (e-switch).

I personally prefer a solid mechanical switch over the e-switch in this case, easier to activate and switch modes, and less prone to accidental activation.

The D25A is actually fairly compact for a AA format light with a clicky.

Last edited:

7hns

Newly Enlightened
Yea those AAA are kind of weak lumen wise. It is weird to me there is so little support for clicky. It is pretty hard to use a twisty one handed?

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea those AAA are kind of weak lumen wise. It is weird to me there is so little support for clicky. It is pretty hard to use a twisty one handed?
Your title implicitly excludes high lumen lights.

If you're looking for a recommendation you may try posting in the recommend me a light section.

As for the tools, they run 1.2-1.5V cells, so they are at a natural disadvantage. They do provide a good EDC with easy to source batteries though, and the aluminum ones in particular make a nice lender light that people won't blind themselves on, and without the hazards of lithium rechargeables.

Otherwise if it is lumens you're actually looking for, step back up to the CR123 format for compactness of length such as the OLight mentioned above.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the smallest light with a button switch?

How much do you want to spend and how do you feel about CR2 batteries?

Im very comfortable using my AAA twisties one handed, I like AAA twisties better than AAA clickies.

Last edited:

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Ultra-Tac K18. It has AAA/10440 format, handling both types of batteries. It throws 360 lumens with 10440 battery. Unfortunately, in my experience, it only seems to fit the unprotected type 10440. It's well made and a perfect form factor for ones keys and front pocket.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Almost forgot. The Ultra-Tac K18 has a side switch, which is very, very unusual in a AAA style light. It also has 3 light levels, with the highest at 360 lumens under a 10440, so it can be used in low light conditions and can light up a room or yard if need be.

7hns

Newly Enlightened
Not sure why? I never asked for only AA/AAA only? Anyway, I actually have the new S1 Baton and overall like it, but for some reason the D25C just fits better in my pocket carrying it. Maybe because it is slimmer? It just feels harder to carry the Olight which was my concern with the new Foursevens Mark2. Then there is the Lumintop 007 but no clip for it.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure why? I never asked for only AA/AAA only? Anyway, I actually have the new S1 Baton and overall like it, but for some reason the D25C just fits better in my pocket carrying it. Maybe because it is slimmer? It just feels harder to carry the Olight which was my concern with the new Foursevens Mark2. Then there is the Lumintop 007 but no clip for it.
I know that for me the smaller the light is the larger that even tiny differences can make then seem so it can be tough to get smaller in a meaningful or useful way sometimes too.

But the Olight and D25C are almost exactly the same diameter to my eye?
And the D25C is longer too?

So I can't really grasp exactly what you are looking for now?
350ab60197ea61521fd704dac371178d.jpg
af16a9916d0d1aa484d5e2153d9590b9.jpg

Last edited:

7hns

Newly Enlightened
I know that for me the smaller the light is the larger that even tiny differences can make then seem so it can be tough to get smaller in a meaningful or useful way sometimes too.

But the Olight and D25C are almost exactly the same diameter to my eye?
And the D25C is longer too?

So I can't really grasp exactly what you are looking for now?

D25C: Diameter 16-16.9mm
S1R: Diameter 20-21mm

So that is about 25% difference. To me, it is a huge difference. Maybe its just the way it sits in my pocket, I don't know. This kind of makes me think a longer/thinner light will "fit" better for me in my pocket. I'm just looking for something new is all.

low

Enlightened
L3 Illumination by SBflashlights, it is 16.7x96mm with the Nichia 219b or with the XPG2. Rides very well in your pocket.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are smaller lights, but the D25A Clicky is a heck-of-a-lot of light in an incredibly slim, convenient package. Power with a 14500 for some potent output and good run times.

I have a Preon single AAA with Clicky switch that is lighter weight and slimmer than the D25A (but similar in length) and with 10440 Li-Ion really puts out nicely, but with reduced run time. Not sure if 4Sevens stills offers this one.

And, of course Olight's S Mini Baton is a pretty great, tiny light with side-mount click switch, which I really like.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
This kind of makes me think a longer/thinner light will "fit" better for me in my pocket.
agree
there can also be a big % weight difference between lights that "look close to the same"

my L11c 4 mode w Nichia is one of the lightest AA clickies, 53 grams w Eneloop, 140 Lumen high.. next to an AAA CuMaratac also w Nichia (lumintop tool head), 80 lumen high, 37 grams w Eneloop.. the AA is 43% heavier and 75% brighter than the AAA, both with Nichia. I carry the AAA, the AA is in my pack. fwiw, one AA weighs as much as Two AAA
yWIIBy8WSjCLHSjT2vAuUCI7NyiPQFcPqySupsgB_ojU13ePvTSXj7iimopIpOtxibcx8BDhut3ZIgqu1mXTQIIj8ZT8RSbZHpTpPKU9AmH7US9qxP3gCBx5pvkc9B94jirRT1KK8bsom4svpvuNzO9sRNPZviHff9Jk2PjQiqI4dQUczbBObSi9aUR0q4OCXyKnpDhHhQ0TL3TcTMjOH-58L6FgUnBgNRQ_DBIjxjwvRG5zuTOWTsOvXNe0RcstJ9LyLWemOc4r1wbqmfre_IkU91UGbP-HblOt72sAFJfA8DdoxY3RsL8SaNVFeczRZsNmHK1iI54rqbhwraXNuulx97cp5Va0SrNvRuKNrQqmHbGne7xZyOZb4kV92Od0UANjY1tyD7vXlPbjx-HyezKuwJG88Fk6nXzjE8ulTnjnblKHZL5RPJDjJibqPWrytDgowyqsJ5Iocjo-EEI8cnXRW1IKeWFMFu8_iesOQz_o9rdheof5lvMRWWtVOO1fVSe1L6CCRo6Le5AQFAixf2n-z78FA3kMoFjANgabpnY8tlRv4o1q146-x0-S1kBKE4kAFmBiAxZsFKc1nqH_yZmaGx7H8tM73M-fcchtyQ97CpXagl10=w1195-h896-no

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Your title implicitly excludes high lumen lights.

If you're looking for a recommendation you may try posting in the recommend me a light section.

As for the tools, they run 1.2-1.5V cells, so they are at a natural disadvantage. They do provide a good EDC with easy to source batteries though, and the aluminum ones in particular make a nice lender light that people won't blind themselves on, and without the hazards of lithium rechargeables.

Otherwise if it is lumens you're actually looking for, step back up to the CR123 format for compactness of length such as the OLight mentioned above.

Agreed. Smallest light with a button, we're definitely talking AAA here. We're also not talking big output. As for the Tool. I have been using 10440 in mine for several months without issue. Maybe about 250 lumens from it. I don't want to damage the thing but they're so cheap these days that if the driver goes poof, I'll likely not cry much.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. Smallest light with a button, we're definitely talking AAA here. We're also not talking big output. As for the Tool. I have been using 10440 in mine for several months without issue. Maybe about 250 lumens from it. I don't want to damage the thing but they're so cheap these days that if the driver goes poof, I'll likely not cry much.

Do you have the current controlled one or PWM one? I carry a Copper one with the CC revision and I seem to recall it being said that the driver did not support the higher voltage.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have the current controlled one or PWM one? I carry a Copper one with the CC revision and I seem to recall it being said that the driver did not support the higher voltage.
it is true that Tools do not support LiIon voltage officially..
people do it anyway, both with the PWM version and the CC version