Driver suggestion for 1xCR123 and 2xCR123

Medusa

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to track down 2 different drivers for 2 different weapon light applications, which is proving to be more challenging than I would have guessed. While I have experience in electronics and fabrication, and have used plenty of stock flashlights and weapon lights, this is my first foray into custom flashlights. I just need a few critical features and every driver I've found available seems to be lacking at least one of these:

1) Primarily, SINGLE OUTPUT ONLY. I do not want strobe or multi-mode functionality.
2) Optimized for 1x or 2x CR123. I am building 2 lights, one will be powered by a single lithium primary and the other will be powered by two. CR123's are fairly standard batteries in optics and weaponlights, I don't want rechargeables.
3) Shock/temperature resistance. This will need to handle recoil from a rifle, theoretically peaking around 200 G's. I can pot or otherwise protect the driver if required.
4) The last, and therefore relatively least important aspect, is actual regulation. For the 1x setup, it seems like I'd need a boost driver to bring the output up to 4V, which seems to be the highest efficacy voltage for the emitter I'm probably going with. For the 2x setup, that would be a buck driver I guess.

I'm thinking a Cree XM-L2 for the LED but I'd be willing to consider other options. I have not decided on a reflector setup yet either. I was thinking of using a P60-pattern reflector because there are lots of DIY parts available, but if there are any other reflectors that will result in a beam with relatively wide spill and throw out to 100m or so I'd love to hear preferences or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Simon96

Newly Enlightened
I'm not an expert in flashlight electronics, but from my research Rcr123 drivers are easier to find. RCR'S are basically 3.6v-4.2v li ion batteries, just like 18650s, so it won't be too hard finding a driver for 18650 that will work on RCR'S.Just be sure to find one for two cells if you're using two in ur flashlight

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I buy lots of drivers from mtnelectronics. They've never let me down. I'm sure they've got what you need, even if you have to go with something like guppydrv firmware and just program it for one-mode operation.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Medusa.... your quest is HARD.

I have done it myself in the past and pretty much quit.

for the 2x batteries the best option is this
http://www.dx.com/p/18v-5w-cree-circuit-board-for-flashlights-16-8mm-5-5mm-26110#.WGlGIU38KL8
you can mod it for higher output by changing the sens resistor (the R200 part), but you cannot go far before killing the driver efficiency... Maybe around 2Amps.

For a single Cr123 option, I do not really know....Maybe one of those 2AA drivers, Fasttech has/used to have a single mode one. (but I guess you can convert the multimode one, since the single versuion is the same without the conrol chip)

BUT....
these drivers are not rated for recoil. One can try a 50-50 thermal paste/2-part epoxy mix to fortify the coil part

light-modder

Enlightened
I don't know how they fair under recoil but the Gdup from the sandwich shoppe is made for a single cr123. It is three mode standard but I think they could program it for single mode.