Updating Streamlight Scorpion (incan model) into modern LED specs

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have owned the original Scorpion (incandescent model) since the late 90s which has been relegated to a closet a home since, despite having occasional use all these years. The original incan output is feeble by modern specs, and that the PC lens has been partially damaged (partial melt in the center) due to accumulated heat build-up. (The PC lens has since been replaced.)

Good thing is that Lumens Factory has been developing LED solutions beyond the Surefire systems so many incan-based weapons light system are now infused with new life. The incan Scorpion happens to be one of such beneficiaries as well during the latest product development process.

The drop-in XPL module (featuring 1.6A driver and nickel-plated brass heatsink) supplants the stock T2.1 bulb socket and forfeits the original focusing mechanism, but in return yields a very wide, usable beam profile. Hot spot is not too concentrated so don't expect good throw, but side spill output is incredible -- it can easily cover half a room with good illumination.

Module is now available from LF but not yet added to its web store AFAIK. Costs ~$38 and product is subject to additional tweaking/modification for further compatibility with similar Streamlight models. (Right now the first batch has guaranteed compatibility with the incan Scorpion only)

Here's some rough video walk-throughs, take a look (sorry for the poor video quality)
https://youtu.be/RRJJP_wLJTA
https://youtu.be/CElYly1kf3Y

Any thoughts on this? Anyone dying to get one? BTW, an upgrade module for the Scorpion LED (Lux 1) would be nice, but LF currently has no plans on making one.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wonder if it'll work in a TL2?
(Way different than the Scorpion)

I TerraLUX'd mine but being for the Strion it didn't last long due to all the extra voltage I suppose.

Thanks for the heads up.

Welp, saw "not for TL2"... Dratz! Maybe someday....

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
@bykfixer
I've yet to access an incan TL2 but I have a TL3 mod (actually FM mod). The module doesn't sit well on the lower bezel piece but the bigger problem is that the module's tower won't go through the TL3's reflector like it does with the Scorpion's. (BTW I've been told the driver circuit is especially optimized for around 4.8V ie. the voltage of 2xCR123a under load -- although it's essentially a buck driver which also accepts 2x3.7V LiIon as well.)

So yes the TL2's head internals is different from the Scorpion's but LF's boss challenged this, saying both share the same T2.1 incan lamp socket. But it was me who mentioned the problem and caught LF's attention, so they've ordered more Streamlight units for testing and may even work on improved versions of the Scorpion tower module. So maybe it's worth the wait.

TerraLUX... well their Strion and Stinger modules seem to be great stuff, but their MagAA bi-pin drop-ins are a dud. BTW they also have some other cheapie LED lights OEMed by another company.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info.

There must be a bunch of Scorpion upgrade interest for LF to do what they are doing. Not so much for the NiteFighter/TL2 I suppose.

I acquired a Shock Proof TL2 and a standard one, but never got around to purchasing the incan Scorpion. But I understand that was the one whose sales were enough to keep Streamlight from going out of business at one point post Maglite vs Streamlight lawsuit days.

Yeah the Scorpion and NF/TL2 all share the same light bulb assembly but the rest of the front end differed vastly between the Scorpion and the TL2, which did share parts with the Nite Fighter. I bought a bunch of parts a while back in order to ensure my TL2's would remain usable for many years after the parts sources dried up. Then one day I acquired the gen 2 TL2 LED (160 lumen version) and tucked away those incan versions.

The LED version was great in its day and is still one of my favorites. Super throwy while preserving nearby night adapted vision. Unlike those HL versions, which light up everything (including you) the early models light the perp at a distance while not providing a target for their dastardly comrads.

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
@bykfixer
The incan TL2 has become quite unpopular, it's not even listed on Streamlight's website anymore (but the Scorpion still is).

BTW, can you do me a small favor? I need to take a look at the inside construction of the incan TL2's head, could you snap a few pics and post them here? Thx in advance.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious why? There are many led lights to choose from which you could buy for the price of the drop in. I'd keep it the way it is and enjoy it. Just because it's not bright by today's standards doesn't mean its not still bright and useful

bykfixer

Flashaholic
@bykfixer
The incan TL2 has become quite unpopular, it's not even listed on Streamlight's website anymore (but the Scorpion still is).

BTW, can you do me a small favor? I need to take a look at the inside construction of the incan TL2's head, could you snap a few pics and post them here? Thx in advance.
Gladly.

Pm sent.

Yeah, I could see the TL2 was a slow mover at websites selling them so I stocked up. (ie bought 2 of the shockproof and generic while folks still had some). Ended up with 3 of the 160 lumen LED version before starting a Strion collection.

I never quite understood why they even did the TL2 as it was sandwich'd somewhere between the Nite Fighter and the Scorpion. I read a bunch of old threads here sometime back and it seemed to somewhat popular in the early days. At least in the CPF crowd. But the intended audience seemed to flock to the Strion when purchased from their own pocket. I'd speculate the Scorpion was an issue light perhaps because Streamlight did volume pricing like with the SL20 and later the Stinger.

I'll take a stab at your question vicv...
Some folks like driving a Ford station wagon enough that when it gets old a faded they take it in for a new paint job and have the drive train refurbished. Same goes for flashlights I suppose. But I'm like you, I think the stock version of so-called cop lights are fine like they came. But sometimes it's fun to press the button and get an automobile headlight bright beam from a classic flashlight.

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK folks some good news. LF has recently tested the said module on other hosts including the TL-2. Said it's compatible but module design needs to be revised a bit for better fitment with respect to the battery chamber, due to TL-2's twisty tail switch design.

Next week I'll return to LF to try out the setup and see the beam profile results. Should be much tighter than on the Scorpion.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, the current version of the Streamlight replacement module is up on the Lumens Factory website, and has been for a while. But the description of which lights it will fit is rather vague. It lists a bunch of M-series lights, but, at least to those of us uninformed, we see no way to relate the M numbers to Streamlight models.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, the current version of the Streamlight replacement module is up on the Lumens Factory website, and has been for a while. But the description of which lights it will fit is rather vague. It lists a bunch of M-series lights, but, at least to those of us uninformed, we see no way to relate the M numbers to Streamlight models.
You mean this? http://www.lumensfactory.com/online_shop_product.php?id=367&cid=8&sid=&page=1
Yes it can be quite confusing for those unfamiliar with M-series weapon lights (myself included) but that's the direction LF is currently venturing into.

BTW the Scorpion module is still not up yet, only FB mentions.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again, I stand corrected. (I seem to be saying that a lot these days) I saw the Streamlight, and didn't realize I wasn't seeing Scorpion. It will be interesting to see how far LF branches out. I would be just as happy to see them add a multi-mode D26 drop in light they used to have with the XP-G emitter.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be interesting to see how far LF branches out. I would be just as happy to see them add a multi-mode D26 drop in light they used to have with the XP-G emitter.
LF is currently done with XPG/2 on its D26 lineup and concentrating in XPL instead, where there's no more multimode variant due to driver change. But even with multimode it will only be a simple L/M/H and nothing else.

That said, once you get used to its XPL D26 you won't want to revert to its XPG2 module anymore......

XPG2 will still be used on certain other products where XPL is not ideal due to heatsinking concerns.. XPG3 (T2 flux) is also under constant testing but the dirty yellow tint has been a big issue to many.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'd like to see the new stuff throttled back in exchange for mega runtimes if that is practical.
I really enjoy the beam of my 175 or so lumen TL2 but the runtime is lacking compared to what it could be in todays world of efficient emitters. And I wonder if heat would be a non issue in the case of emitters throttled back to "survivor" mode(s).

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
@bykfixer
Next time I visit LF I'll ask for the module's runtimes and heatsinking performance. Should be similar to that of the D26 setups.

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad I found this thread. I've been looking for a LED drop-in for my SL Scorpion I've owned since '97 or so. Some of the internal components that hold the bulb have disintegrated so I was looking to replace it with a drop-in LED kit after over 15 years of it not being used.
The product linked below looks to breathe new life into my old Scorpion and bring it back to duty! I'm glad I never gave up on it and trashed it.

http://www.lumensfactory.com/online_shop_product.php?id=380&cid=&sid=&page=1