Surefire U2 lego and questions

cstuart

Newly Enlightened
I want to place one of my SF M2 bezels (with LU60 collar adapter) on the body of a SF U2 that I have not gotten yet. Would this work? Has anyone done this or have pics?

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may work)

And I thought my wife had patented the zero information answer. ;)

It looks like the LU60 will certainly work with the U2 body from the pictures on this page:

http://flashlightguide.com/2013/11/oveready-lu60-surefire-weaponlights/

I believe all U2 heads and bodies will swap. I dug an 'A' serial number U2 and a 'B' serial number U2 out of a drawer, the heads, bodies and tailcaps on my examples all swap fine.

The U2 pictured on the web page linked above seems to have the same SureFire logo as my A model on one side but the 'U2 ULTRA' text of my B model on the other side of the body.

To add to the mild confusion, the second variant of the U2 with the B serial number is sometimes referred to here on CPF as the U2A.

And, although the U2 and UM2 tailcaps will swap, the heads will not in my experience.

Hope this helps.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Once the head is converted, be sure not to exceed the amps limit on the tail cap. U2 have basically z59 which are notorious for melting under amps pressure.

cstuart

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the information!

I was planning on using it with 2 x CR123A primaries and a Malkoff M61 module. Can someone better explain the Z59 melting under amp pressure? This is the first I've heard of that.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
z59 pass all the power through the spring that keeps thumb pressure. Push a few amps through it and it gets so hot/soft, that when you press to turn it off, the spring collapses and never comes back.

To be clear, these are levels beyond normal, triple etc. M61 with two cells will be just fine.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once the head is converted, be sure not to exceed the amps limit on the tail cap. U2 have basically z59 which are notorious for melting under amps pressure.

As you say, the U2 has a tailcap that is very similar to the Z59 but has a less shiny black finish. As Al put it:

It is an obvious difference - the Z59 is type II Black anodised whereas the U2's TailCap is type III "Hard" anodised.

Wasn't the nominal current limit on this switch something like 2.5 amps? I think you would go over this with some incand mods and maybe some early burner LED arrays. EG, seems like I've got one of your three LED 18650 dropins in a SF 6P that would go to full brightness with some switches but not others since it was so current hungry at the low voltage.

This page from Gene's site says the M61 at six volts draws 625 milliamps so the U2 switch should be fine:

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/products/m61-mod-to-fit-surefire-and-malkoff

cstuart

Newly Enlightened
I do have the LU60.

I've got an incoming M2 with Malkoff M61 that I just won from eBay, so I'm very excited about that too.

Latest posts