Has anyone ever modified an Olight Baton series light?

wolfgaze

Enlightened
And by 'modified' I mean swapping out the factory emitter for one of your choice...

I have an S2 and I do like the form factor as well as the 'spot' beam profile - I just don't care for the cool white color temperature / tint of the factory LED... I would like to have a Nichia 219b emitter in this light... Is that doable? Any issues with the output level on Turbo and that particular emitter?

Can these lights be taken apart and modified accordingly? Just curious....

Thanks

gunga

Flashaholic
Yes they can. The optic does not play well with Nichia though. A neutral tint xml2 is recommended. Note that the bezel is press fit and must be pried off.

tatteredmidnight

Newly Enlightened
I've done this with an S65, swapping in an xml 2. The pill is easy to remove and work with. A nichia would be more difficut as the pads are a different size.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a high CRI version/variant of the XML2?
Unless I've missed something the only "high CRI" xml2s are mud tints, like 3000 and down. They're pretty inefficient too. The 5D1 that gunga mentioned is a T5 flux, so pretty bright, and it's 80+ CRI, so no slouch. And it really is a beautiful emitter.

Simon96

Newly Enlightened
I have a broken Olight s20 coz I inserted the battery backwards. It says in the website that it has reverse polarity protection, but my model doesn't have. Long story short, tried replacing driver, but it's proprietary. Olight flashlights are of good quality, but if your looking into modding them just buy a Maglite, Convoy, or p60 light to mod around with. I regret buying my Olight coz it's not easy to mod, and I love mods.