Surefire M3, drop in and battery question

mcm308

Enlightened
A while back I grabbed an M3 with a 3 level drop in. No specs on the drop in itself but I think it's a Nailbender. Question is, should I run 2 or 3 cr123 cells? I have been using 3 but wondering what it would do with 2 and a spacer? What would the best battery configuration be? Thanks!

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Don't see a D36 3 cell multi mode driver on Dave's web page? All multi mode drivers appear to be only up to 6 volts and his buck/boost drivers are all single level. Maybe is its a modded Lumens Factory D36? Mark has a few of the buck/boost (up to 18v) that are 3 level. The problem with Marks are they are not direct drop in's like Dave's are. There are some strengthening ribs around the circumference on the exterior of the reflector that hinder it from installing as received. At least that's the way they were when I last purchased one from LF. Maybe things have changed since its been years for me.

IMO a driver able to use more cells makes more sense if the driver is a constant voltage and not a constant current. But that's just my opinion. Any chance you could post a picture?

mcm308

Enlightened
7f29a8a9fdfd15bef242b304bbd5c65f.jpg

58c54c574a429a804de0062c276ac389.jpg

f19d51074ead3707604cf7ca6eacb5c3.jpg

7af879bdcc2af244efc72d7ccceb455a.jpg

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Interesting.....? Well it certainly bears little resemblance to a Lumens Factory D36. Could easily be a CustomLites build. But you mention its a multi cell AND a 3 mode so maybe its a modded version? One thing I know for sure it's not one of my Z46 LED conversions. I use the Dereelight multi cell buck/boost driver for multi mode and my reflector has a shock foam retainer around the opening of the reflector. I don't anybody else who offers that feature. Maybe some comm's with Dave might be in order? I'm leaning towards your initial statement.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a SureFire M3 that I put an LED dropin into a few years ago. I've been running it on two 18500 rechargeables. I really should look up the voltage spec to make sure I can run it on three CR123A's if I need to. I'm thinking the high end must be at least 9 volts since two RCR's fresh off the charger are about 4.2 volts each.

I remember I had to get some Delrin tool to remove the bezel from the head, it was more difficult than I had anticipated. I was reading here on CPF about M2 dropins and didn't realize that the M3's were a different head diameter.

My M3 dropin is warm white and single-mode. It may be a Nailbender, I've certainly bought from him in the past.

The light is classic SureFire from the PK era :twothumbs, it has a Z48 clicky tailcap.

mcm308

Enlightened
Interesting.....? Well it certainly bears little resemblance to a Lumens Factory D36. Could easily be a CustomLites build. But you mention its a multi cell AND a 3 mode so maybe its a modded version? One thing I know for sure it's not one of my Z46 LED conversions. I use the Dereelight multi cell buck/boost driver for multi mode and my reflector has a shock foam retainer around the opening of the reflector. I don't anybody else who offers that feature. Maybe some comm's with Dave might be in order? I'm leaning towards your initial statement.
Well that's interesting.. this does have a foam retaining ring in front of the drop in. Like a shock isolator. It's actually a pita to get it right . That's why I didn't unscrew the bezel and remove it entirely for photos. I want to grab another head just to run incans so I can switch it up.