How to wire an XM-L RGBW

Moss

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone.

I recently purchased an XM-L RGBW from Mountain Electronics, I also bought their Color and Dynamic White XM-L Driver to accompany.

I am a beginner but despite much research, I cannot find coherent instructions for how I should wire them together. I am nervous about starting and doing the wrong thing.

Could someone help me with this? The two components are these:

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_124&product_id=90

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_78&product_id=451

Many thanks,

Moss

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone.

I recently purchased an XM-L RGBW from Mountain Electronics, I also bought their Color and Dynamic White XM-L Driver to accompany.

I am a beginner but despite much research, I cannot find coherent instructions for how I should wire them together. I am nervous about starting and doing the wrong thing.

Could someone help me with this? The two components are these:

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_124&product_id=90

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_78&product_id=451

Many thanks,

Moss

Driver wise

636052975106549398.jpg

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
LIXNQyo.jpg

Common positive so just join all the pads. I used a wire and soldered it across all them.

Moss

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for this!

It helps a great deal. I still need to work out the rest as I am a complete beginner.

Moss

Newly Enlightened
Ah thank you so much, I think I understand this. So the common positive connects all of the positive sides together? And I use the negative side for the 4 black leads?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct, there is only one positive so it has to feed all the emitters so connect them all and then connect the positive wire to them.

Each emitter is individually addressed by the negative wire so they are connected individually. I did label them when I built mine and they should be the same as yours.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would highly suggest using a multimeter with a diode check function as it will let you check your work as you move along. Continuity is also extremely helpful to check for shorts

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not believed this driver has any form of low voltage protection or warning so a protected 18650 is what I use. Some good brands for that are keeppower, EVVA and orbtronic. Just to keep yourself in check, a good cell should be less than half that price. I don't have any advice as to where to buy in the U.K. however

Moss

Newly Enlightened
Thank you so much for your help, I have it all wired up now and it is running very well indeed. My first mod. I would show you a picture, but option to do so is not available for me, perhaps something to do with being unenlightened.. You know what it looks like anyway.
I will have a look at those other batteries, I knew it was quite steep at the time but I suppose I was being a little impatient, my led + driver where held up in customs! For this reason also it would be great to find a good resource in the UK.

It isn't actually a mod. I am building my own flashlight from scratch (machining the host etc.) and this is the first experiment I have done with the electronics.

Moss

Newly Enlightened
I prefer Group B out of the two mode options, but I was wondering if it is possible to program it to be more dynamic colour-wise. After all there are so many colours that could potentially be made in the RGB spectrum. Any ideas?