After a decent zoomy

Thom2022

Enlightened
Hey guys. As in the title. After a decent zoomy that won't break the bank. Looking to spend around £20.
Needs to take 18650 batteries
I know this puts me firmly in eBay cheap Chinese tat territory but it's just for keeping in the car. I want a zoomy for its versatility over all else.
SOS function would be great.
Would also like to have the option to mod it so as I swap out drivers and emitters from other flashlights I will undoubtedly acquire I can use the recovered parts to upgrade it.
I'm Based in uk.

Thanks

Thom.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
ouch...your budget kind of kills it for you. Only light I am familiar with that is a zoomy with those options is the far to expensive LED Lenser HP7R

Trango

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the convoy C8, it's not a zoomy, but it's under 20 pounds, has a sos or strobe function and is easily modable.
As for cheap zoom, for that budget you are better of with a non zoom light, because for that money you will probably get a light that on the floody setting is still too narrow and on the spot setting gives you an ugly square beam...
I would also look for other batteries to keep the light in the car. Li-ions are not very happy with extreme heat that you get in the summer in the car, a CR123 or AA lithium primary would be a better idea. Also maybe consider a headlamp, is more useful if for example you have to change a wheel.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I've also been looking at the $20 and under zoom lights but with no flash or SOS modes and a real cree emitter instead of the latticebright LEDs. An option would be to buy a cheap Chinese zoom light and then replace the driver and LED in it which is what I've been considering that would get me well under $20 but to be honest the zoom lights I have the quality of the output isn't impressive but for the cost it would be a bit mediocre. Most of the cheap zoomies are only 3 modes L/H/Flash and the high is more like a medium on other $20 reflectored lights of "better quality".
I'm like you in that lights in my car don't need to be expensive as on rare occasion you can have someone break into your car and steal things and expensive fancy lights would tempt a thief and cost to replace and I rarely use a flashlight from my car once every few years perhaps I have 3 or 4 lights that never get used as when I think I may need a light I often take one with me before I get into the car and use it instead of what is in the car itself.