What's with eBay sellers asking MORE for Zebralights than the Zebralight site?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
And sometimes, it's LOTS more. For instance, one seller is asking $178 for an H502w L2. This is a light you can get for $69 on the website. In other words, they want over $110 more for it, which amounts to OVER 2.5 TIMES what Zebralight wants for it!!!!! Do these folks NOT know that you can get the same light for FAR less at other places? And to people actually BUY Zebralights at these prices despite the availability of these lights for less (and sometimes FAR less at that) from other sources (like the Zebralight website)?

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
Unfortunately they do. Some people just don't know about flashlights and think that the more expensive they are, the more valuable they are. I have had friends and family that bought lights at ridiculous prices when they think it's worth it.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the case for all sorts of things on Ebay for some reason?
I will never pay more than something actually costs from a manufacturer but I am told that some items might not be available in some places and people are willing to pay what it takes to get them anyway.
Add to that what was already said about people not being diligent shoppers and many people take all they can from those they can take it from.

Bizarre but true.

markr6

Flashaholic
I always wondered about this. I have no idea why anyone would pay those prices. I would say no one does, but on the listings it says something like "8 available/3 sold", so apparently people have extra money to blow.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen this both on ebay and Amazon. When an item is in demand and supply is low some people feel it is okay to price gouge and ask more than retail for an item. It's just a reminder to be a savvy consumer and always double check prices with those at your local stores - I've seen many times that my local Target or Walmart has an item at a lower price than Amazon.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
One reason you will see retailers sell a little higher than Zebralights is because of the low margins. Many retailers quit selling Zebralights due to this, i.e. GoingGear.

Not sure why such a mark up on the 502 you mentioned. I could see some mark up on a new light with very limited availability, but not 2.5x's for an older light that's not backordered for months.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been checking prices for Nitecore flashlights to help get an idea of what to charge for mine when I sell them. I have seen many instances where asked prices were higher, and sometimes much higher, that MSRP. When I was looking for a Surefire 6P, most of the OSIP was listed around $40, but there were a couple in the $90 range. Who knows. I guess its like those ads for the $5 zoom LED lights that claim to be high tech military lights and asking forty or fifty dollars for them. Or, even a better example, the paid programs on TV were they offer something 'for only x payments of $nn', and when you multiply out the numbers it is a third more or double the price of the same item on Amazon. Some people just don't get it.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was explained to me by Andrew And Amanda that it's easier for them to just make the price much higher and keep the ad running, than to yank the ad and reinstate it when the item gets back in stock.

On most of those 'high price' ads, they're out of stock.

Chris

jbarlow82

Newly Enlightened
I live about 10 miles from zebralight and people ask some crazy prices on craigslist here.

Skeeterg

Enlightened
You see those prices on lots of other products to. I wonder if people think it's some how better if the price is higher.lol

Poppy

Flashaholic
A couple of years ago, one of the well known, respected, brands, was active on ebay. They would make a number of posts of a particular light at their MSRP, plus shipping. This would give the impression that it was a $149.99 light. Then they would start a number of auctions at the actual price they have it at their website, maybe a few dollars less, more like $69.00. If a person won the auction @ $74 they'd think they got a bargain.

Yesterday, I saw a Nitecore NTW34 red traffic diffuser for $3.95 at B&H photo, and the same item on amazon for $19.