Mini Maglite 3AA LED - Can I remove LED light?

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
I have had this flashlight for a number of years and find it to be perfect for me.

Unfortunately, it just quit working one day, and i found that one of the batteries had leaked and is now jammed inside the barrel and I'm not able to use it.

I've found some guidelines on using various solutions to get the battery out, but the first step is to take the light bulb out. These particular instructions show an incandescent bulb, not an LED. It looks very easy to remove. It shows the bulb resting in a little metal sleeve that was pulled out. Is the LED seated in a similar sleeve that I can pull out? Is it possible to remove the black platform the bulb sits in?

Or, if you have any practical suggestions on removing a corroded battery, I'd be interested in those. Looking through YouTube, it seems lit the most popular method is to use a drill on the battery, screw in a long screw, and pull to get the battery out. If you're familiar with the 3AA, you'll know that it's about 10 inches long and my stuck battery is the first one in the tube, so I don't know if there is a drill bit that long.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :confused:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the battery swelled such that it can't be forced out by banging it on a soft piece of wood I'd just toss it. Drilling it out is a pain and I would not want to inhale any residue from doing so. Maglite won't do anything for you but if you contact the battery company, depending on the company, they might reimburse you for the light. Duracell is pretty good in that regard.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would first check the warranty of the batteries used they may offer replacement of the light for damage done to it by leaking. The 2AA mag LED lights made today are probably superior in output and efficiency. You can buy long all thread and threaded couplers and a stud with machine threads on one in and wood threads on the other and make yourself a long screw.
The 3AA I believe used a 1st or second generation luxeon probably 60 lumens/watt while newer mags probably use 100-120 lumens/watt LEDs so even with 1 less battery should run longer at the same light level. Another thing to try is soaking the stuck battery in vinegar and washing off the vinegar with water and taking a dowel rod with sandpaper on it to polish the inside of the tube to help the battery slide out if you get it unstuck if the battery liquid got down the tube itself.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Alright, to answer the question, no you cannot pluck out the LED like you can the light bulb.

Something you may have laying in a junk drawer is a wine bottle opener.

Here's a potential solution:
Alkaline battery leakage may disintigrate after being soaked with a baking soda solution.
Place a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a tall, slender cup. Add water to about the height of half way up the light. Mix well.
Set light in cup lamp facing up. Let soak overnight.

Next day remove from solution. Right away grab the light by the lamp end and give it a few good whacks against a solid object. Make sure it is something that won't be damaged from smashing it with your light a few times.
It's an attempt to break the bond between the leakage, battery and light body. Plus there won't be any dust.

Chances are the batteries will remain stuck but the hope is that the 'glue' bond is weakened or broken.

Wine bottle opener twisted into the battery should provide a solid grip of the cell. That is the bottom cell.
If you have a "T" shaped wine bottle opener that should also reach the top battery.

After that you'll need to clean the inside of the light.
I used coarse sandpaper twisted into the shape of a drill bit and patience.
I've gotten a few busted by leakage lights working this way.

If you get it going again treat it to lithium batteries if you store in hot/cold climates or it lives in an enviorment with temperature extremes like an unheated garage or glove compartment.
I've yet to have the latest Rayovac alkalines leak, but still use lithiums in unclimate controled situations.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had this flashlight for a number of years and find it to be perfect for me.

Unfortunately, it just quit working one day, and i found that one of the batteries had leaked and is now jammed inside the barrel and I'm not able to use it.

I've found some guidelines on using various solutions to get the battery out, but the first step is to take the light bulb out. These particular instructions show an incandescent bulb, not an LED. It looks very easy to remove. It shows the bulb resting in a little metal sleeve that was pulled out. Is the LED seated in a similar sleeve that I can pull out? Is it possible to remove the black platform the bulb sits in?

Or, if you have any practical suggestions on removing a corroded battery, I'd be interested in those. Looking through YouTube, it seems lit the most popular method is to use a drill on the battery, screw in a long screw, and pull to get the battery out. If you're familiar with the 3AA, you'll know that it's about 10 inches long and my stuck battery is the first one in the tube, so I don't know if there is a drill bit that long.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :confused:

Even if you manage to get the batteries out, there a good chance that the corrosion got into other parts of the light and it is basically done for. I would suggest contacting the battery manufacturer to see if they will reimburse you for the light.

Latest posts