LED Lenser equivalent advice needed

vickers214

Enlightened
Hello guys,Not been around for a long time ad I got into a more expensive hobby, watches.......please don't!Anyway I'm after a speed focus/aspheric 1/2AA format and noticed the Lensers now have a reflector built on to maximise light out put........and are reasonably priced.Nearly bought one but as far as I can see they are STILL not regulated(why!) anyway can you advise on an equivalent that is, a supply two mode forward clicky would be preferable but not essential........but no PWM Thanks in advance

Loomun

Newly Enlightened
I have many LED Lensers placed throughout my house, they are decent for what they are but for the price and size there are many other lights out there that you get more for your money, I bought a Govolt U5 back in October, the Govolt runs on a single 18650, 3 mode, 600 Lumens, and it`s much smaller than the Led Lensers.

http://govolt.com/collections/u-series check their site every now and then because they do offer 10 to 20 percent off from time to time. Good quality light made in the USA, Georgia

Or you can check out their 250 Lum model
http://govolt.com/collections/g-series/products/govolt-g250-flashlight

Last edited:

arKmm

Enlightened
The Maglite Magtac is a similarly sized zoomable although slightly more costly. Around $50 for non-rechargeable and $100 for rechargeable.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Maglite Magtac is a similarly sized zoomable although slightly more costly. Around $50 for non-rechargeable and $100 for rechargeable.

The Mag Tac is a good light, but I would not really call it "zoomable". Mine is about 95%+ focused with the head screwed down tight - you can fine tune the focus slightly to 100% or you can defocus by further loosening the head, but this is not a zoom, more of an adjustment. That being said, the Mag Tac is a fairly throwy light for a 1" diameter reflector. If you want total flood you can unscrew the Mac Tac head and remove it for area light (sometimes good for taking photos).

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the Coast HP5, if you don't need a pocket clip. 2 power levels and nice zoom. I can't confirm that they're regulated. Only $20 in a couple online locations.

I prefer the HX5, because of the pocket clip.

Good luck.

vickers214

Enlightened
Cheers fit the help so far guys, is coast not LED Lenser in disguise? I do like the 2 mode feature, I don't suppose if you know if they have a reflector as well?

vickers214

Enlightened
While you are here, can you recommend a 2/3d cell torch that is cheap and bright, my 180 mag light drop in doesn't really cut it these days!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
why not rethink that whole "need" thing?
;)
that feature does mainly 3 things: make the light more complex and prone to defect, make it not protected against the elements, make it longer than neccessary.
While a simple reflector/optic gives the overall most useable beam
In that size/power class the benefits of the zoomed out feature are not that great, while the zoom construction renders the light with nearly no spill light at all. Has a few positive points (that apply only when being zoomed out) but the disadvantages prevail.

Also that size + cemistry can be debated.
Yes, nearly we all started with 2*AA lights, but that was quite some years ago. Good to make ones own experience, but if You could take a shortcut - why not?
:)

Li-Ion simply packs A LOT more power in a similar sized package (or - in case of 1*AA Ni-Mh vs. 1*14500 is about equal but much less "stress" on the driver)
and 2*AA is not even near a match for 1*18650, while the light(s) are almost comparable (the one being thinner & longer, while the other being shorter & thicker)

f.e., instead of 1*AA (= EDC):
have a look at the foursevens Mini MK2 "combo pack" lights. (1*CR123A)
they are a match for any of Your 1*AA lights and the in the pack included supersmall USB charger can charge any cell! Ni-Mh as well as Li-Ion. With 750 mA even useful for big Li-Ion cells - f.e when traveling lightly

PS: yes, these medium-to-wide optic focused lights have dramatically less reach than a zoomed out zoom light. For full zoom use only they will not work

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
In that size/power class the benefits of the zoomed out feature are not that great, while the zoom construction renders the light with nearly no spill light at all. Has a few positive points (that apply only when being zoomed out) but the disadvantages prevail.
Also that size + cemistry can be debated.

Have you actually experienced a quality zoomie, as on the Coast HX5? I think the quality is actually quite good on both flood and zoom. This is my most used light for a couple reasons: 1) I carry it head up in my back pocket and it's extremely easy to deploy, but has never came out of the pocket accidentally, 2) the zoom feature is great when viewing either close up or far away, 3) forward clicky with momentary function, 4) reversible clip for hat brim use, though it is a bit heavy for that.

The Coast HP5R is USB rechargeable and comes with 2 14500 rechargeable batteries and 1 alkaline, belt sheath, belt clip, wall clip, USB adapter and AC adapterbut it has a pesky strobe mode added into it between Hi and Lo modes. LEOs appear to like this light, from the few reviews that I've been able to find.

vickers214

Enlightened
I ended up getting a led lenser p7.2 ......and after I ordered it found out about the fakes.......and yep mine is a fake!
TBH though it's not a bad light, only the boost mode doesn't really work, so it's a two stage light, that you can only boost in low.
Beam is a bit blue, but I'm used to my eagletacs lovely white beams........... But it's scratched the itch and the speed focus works well and it's definitely pushing 250-300 lumen