4+ to 4x upgrade through software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Peter Gransee, part of the increase in brightness is due to a higher drive level. And part is due to a higher-efficiency LED. I would guess that to whatever extent the difference between the two lights is from drive level, the 4+ could be made brighter.

A simple test with one of my lights showed that increasing drive level from 1.04 amps at Level 2 to 1.58 amps at Level 1 resulted in a brightness increase of only 17%. So I think that the "rare" Luxeon used in the 4x is the major contributor to its enhanced performance.

-Paul

sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East
[ QUOTE ]
According to Peter Gransee, part of the increase in brightness is due to a higher drive level. Part is due to a higher-efficiency LED.

[/ QUOTE ]

As to be expected. I remember during the green laser pointer (DPSS) run a few years ago you could find one with a really efficient MCA that would kick 5mW at 140 mA or so. These were golden as they could do well over 50 mW without even taxing the pump diode.

I suppose the LS's are the same way. Get one that gets really bright at lower drive and take it out a few hundred mA over the original design and you have a monster on your hands. Well, maybe not.

Just like the DPSS scenario, even the typical (265 mA @5mW green) ones could still push into the 35+ mW range but you had to be careful as you were 1) driving the pump very hard and 2) risking bond damage to the MCA since it was taking much more heat.

So, if a "typical" LS is driven even a little harder than 4x levels, I'm sure it could cross into 40 to 50 lumen territory. Killer on batts and unsure of total life, but when the warranty is void, that's what you get!

Cheers!

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a 4x, but I am curious about this warranty thing. Where did Peter say the 4x has no warranty?

I did see where said no warranty returns on a 4+ toward the 4x. Did I miss something?

Peter

sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East
Well they certainly are behaving differently then.

I guess these are all "smack" tested and the ones that make the cut are x's? Must not be too many...

I would only want the extra boost for very short periods of time. It's kind of useless to run wide open when it's going to kill a $7 battery (walmart prices) in under ten minutes.

I've ordered some rechargeable 123's from Jon's site so that should be relief as my supply of Sanyo's is down to ONE!

EDIT: LF, you're correct in the warranty. I believe Peter means no exchanges from previous buyers of 4+ lights, etc. I suppose he would support the light if it burns out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Well, for custom software mods, I would be willing to sacrifice a function such as one of the tactile modes (2) for a variable rate full brightness strobe. Those of you that own or have seen the eternalight know what this function is. It would be cool to have the strobe and use clicking to vary the speed up and down like brightness mode.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts