Tailcap help

cstuart

Newly Enlightened
I've got a new Surefire M2 and M3.

The M3 came with a Z58 (clicky) and the M2 with a Z41 (twisty)

The clicky will NOT work on the M3, but it will work on the M2. I did the paper clip test to confirm this was a tailcap issue.

The twisty will work on both the M2 and M3.

Can anyone offer insight before I contact Surefire for a warranty issue?

m4a1usr

Enlightened
If your M3 has the metal lanyard ring installed make sure you take it off prior to testing. It shouldn't make a difference since both of those light aft body portions are dimensioned pretty much like all of the "C" bodies. Any chance you might have a multi meter to test the Z58? You could at least do a continuity test to ensure the clicky is good. Sometimes the portion of the clicky switch that contacts the body get dirty on these types of switches. Maybe try cleaning it just in case?

cstuart

Newly Enlightened
If your M3 has the metal lanyard ring installed make sure you take it off prior to testing. It shouldn't make a difference since both of those light aft body portions are dimensioned pretty much like all of the "C" bodies. Any chance you might have a multi meter to test the Z58? You could at least do a continuity test to ensure the clicky is good. Sometimes the portion of the clicky switch that contacts the body get dirty on these types of switches. Maybe try cleaning it just in case?

Removed the lanyard ring and tested. Still no go on the M3 with the clicky. Still works with the twisty.

No multimeter.

I wiped off the threads with a paper towel, but I will try to do a more thorough job inside the tailcap and see if that makes a difference.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
You know it just occurred to me your problem could have nothing to do with the Z58 tailcap. A few months back another member couldn't get his M3 to work when switching between different tailcaps and it turned out to be the center spring on his incan lamp. I don't remember if he was using a MN10 or the MN11 but he ended up extending it a bit with a pair of needle nose pliers and it began working. The issue being it didn't go far enough into the M3 body to be making contact. Give it a looksee. Maybe that's how simple the fix could be.

cstuart

Newly Enlightened
You know it just occurred to me your problem could have nothing to do with the Z58 tailcap. A few months back another member couldn't get his M3 to work when switching between different tailcaps and it turned out to be the center spring on his incan lamp. I don't remember if he was using a MN10 or the MN11 but he ended up extending it a bit with a pair of needle nose pliers and it began working. The issue being it didn't go far enough into the M3 body to be making contact. Give it a looksee. Maybe that's how simple the fix could be.

Very interesting info.

I just gave the tailcap and flashlight body threads a more thorough cleaning with a paper towel and tried to get down into the nooks and crannies of both better.

The M3 appears to be working with the clicky, for now. A fair amount of black grease was removed with the paper towel.

I am using it with an MN10 lamp

Last edited:

cstuart

Newly Enlightened
Yes, these are often a contact problem (of one sort or another) ....

OK, I've cleaned excess black grease off the threads and inside tailcap. Light is still hit and miss when activating with the clicky. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Clicky works on the other light and twisty works on the M3. Feeling kinda ripped on this purchase.

cstuart

Newly Enlightened
X2 on the spring stretch idea. Especially if it fires one light but not the other.

I also agree now.

I took just the lamp module (bezel removed) and pressed it down into the body with the clicky activated. It worked. Still a bummer that you have issues like this, but I assume it goes with older incan light territory?

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had a z59 arrive DOA... or so I thought, then remembered reading that sometimes a slight spring stretch does the trick.
Sure enough it lit the 6P after that.

It didn't sit well with me either as something brand new shoulda worked. But well over a year later there have been no issues with it.

And since then I've found a bunch of other products needed a spring stretch to work. lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts