Introducing the CuLux:

Crux

Newly Enlightened
Introducing the CuLux:
This is my second attempt at a custom FlashLux.
It's a 1 watt Star/O (P3K low dome with NX-05) resistor driven by three AAA's.

CuLux001.jpg

CuLux003.jpg

CuLux004.jpg

So what do you think? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Crux

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Maybe a little Brasso/Flitz/SemiChrome? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Welcome to the forums Crux!

Larry

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cool! I like the forming of the battery tube. Very impressive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Wow. It's that Cu switch button that has me impressed. You have lots of time into that thing, I can tell. Very nice indeed. Certainly looks durable!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
IIt loooks like you brazed certain parts together? Certainly helps thermal pathways if so. Nice idea and like Don, I like the ovalized cross section of the bottom half, looks like it would fit the hand much better than a round tube. And even an integral lanyard hole!

Crux

Newly Enlightened
Re: Introducing the CuLux: more pictures

Thanks for all the praise. Yes I do some have some time into this one, but it turned out pretty nice.

I found that three AAA's would fit into a 3/4" copper pipe - if it were triangular in shape. Soooooo, two days with a mallet and I had a tube and coupling that slipped together - pretty well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

CuLux005.jpg

I cut down the aluminum plate around the Star/O to make it flush with the optic holder.
Soldered a 3/4" pipe cap to part of the coupling I beat into shape, and epoxied the star into the bottom of it. (Yeah, replacing the emitter will be rough.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
I cut PCB into shapes to fit inside the coupling and soldered some scavenged springs for battery contacts.
The switch is a DPDT maintained pushbutton from AllElectronics.com - 4/$1. Its rating is 100mA, so I paralleled two contacts to help somewhat. The button is a piece of #6 or #4 solid drilled to press over the switch post. Resistor is 2 ohms (probably not needed but I can fix that).

CuLux011.jpg

No, its not sealed, but if you keep it dry that dosen't matter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Crux

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Most impressive! Functional and unique Art! Cool!

EDIT: I forgot to add inspirational! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

now that's amazing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

very impressive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

I'm still waiting for a shot down the bezel...

I notice that you took the easy way out for that, and made it round. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Crux

Newly Enlightened

Bezel shots? Sure...

CuLux006.jpg

Pay no attention to the soldering iron oops on the lens... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

CuLux007.jpg

... and with the NX05.

The Lux isn't the brightest, but the beam is nice for close work and will still light up a bedroom when shined at the ceiling! I like the NX05.

Crux