Review of Rofis KR10 and KR20

7hns

Newly Enlightened
Here, I am reviewing a Rofis KR10 and KR20. Rofis is a manufacturer that is a little less known than some of the bigger players (Olight, Fenix, etc.). I was provided both of these units for free in exchange for my honest and unbiased review. I was not asked to provide a positive review and these thoughts are my own. I do not have the equipment many of you have to do some of this testing, but still have a lot of experience with these types lights and am hoping to offer some good perspective.

Both of these lights are very similar. As far as I can tell, the primary difference is the size of the light, and the throw (the KR20 being bigger and having more throw). Unless explicitly noted in the review, anything below applies to both lights.

Summary:
  • These lights are a little bit bigger than other common 18650 lights. I would consider them utility lights, not something most people would carry in their pocket as EDC.
  • The lights have two buttons, a tailcap clicky and forward clicky.
  • They are very bright and a good value cost-wise for their size.
  • The design is rather plain, but functional. Nothing exciting on design.
  • The hotspot is noticeably tighter on the KR20 than KR10.
  • The UI is interesting and useful. For example, there is a locator mode available when cycling through that will flash the forward clicky LED green and they say it will last 3 months. The same LED also gives a battery indicator of < or > 50%.
  • Both units come with a MicroUSB cable and can be recharged via USB by unlatching a rubber seal.
  • Both units come with a carry case.
  • The English for the manual needs some work. This is common with some of these products.
  • Unless the throw is really important to you, I'd personally choose the KR10 since it is smaller, but I also tend to favor smaller lights. If you need more throw or substance to the light, the KR20 is a great choice. The lights are commendable for their features and value for the price.
  • Both lights come with a protected 18650 cell labeled Rofis. They say 3,400mAh, 3.6v and 12.24Wh. If anyone has experience in these cells and can share, that would be awesome.

UI and Controls:
  • Once I got a hang of the UI, I started liking it. Basically, the rear clicky turns the light on/off and the forward changes modes. You cycle through off -> ultra low -> low -> medium -> high -> turbo.
  • The "locator" mode occurs before ultra low in the main cycling. It flashes the LED 2x every few seconds. This is a pretty good feature. I wouldn't use it on a permanent basis due to drain, but maybe during a night where I know the light will be used a lot, since the drain should be pretty low.
  • Momentary illumination is accessed by holding the rear clicky for about 2 seconds and it goes right to turbo. This mode is memorized for the next time you turn it on. I personally do not like this. I would prefer momentary is always turbo and the last set mode (medium, for example) is respected in memory.
  • Tactical strobe is activated by two rapid half presses of the rear tailcap and it must be held down to operate.
  • Miscellaneous: Moon can be accessed by holding forward and pressing rear. Strobe/Location Beacon/SOS are found by holding the side switch while the light is on for one second and then doing the same to cycle.
  • 3 seconds after going to any mode, the forward clicky LED illuminates red or green for 3 seconds in either green (>50% power) or red (<50% power). This is very convenient.

Beam:
  • The beam color is very similar to my Olight S Mini SS, maybe a little warmer.
  • There is a nice hotspot, with a good amount of throw around. The hotspot is much tighter on the KR20 as intended. You can see this in the pictures. Both produce about the same size outer flood ring.
  • The throw is great on both, but clearly better on the KR20 and the beam distance seems very reasonable.
  • Comparing the unit to other lights, my personal opinion is that the lumens per mode are accurate as expressed by Rofis, but I do not have a way to measure this.

Quality:
  • The units seem relatively well built and have a nice heft. They do not strike you as high-end and feel a little generic – maybe not an issue for most people in the price range.
  • All of the threads seem very tight, but smooth to work.
  • For whatever reason, the green/red LED on my KR20 is dimmer than on my KR10. This probably is just a quality control thing.
  • Rofis includes two extra o-rings, an extra USB cover and tailcap button. Nice touches.
  • The beam color on my KR20 is a little cooler than on the KR10. I noted this here since it is a quality item.
  • On both units, the USB flap needs some TLC to get it firmly and safely covering the USB port. For example, I often found a corner sticking out after using the port and had to fix it. Once it was in, it was pretty secure.
  • The boxes are relatively inexpensive and unexciting.

I've included pictures below. I'll be working on nightshots over the next couple of days and will update accordingly.