Hot Flashlight - Newbie Question

Mchipman

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
I have a newbie question for you. I got a Olight S2 Baton for Christmas. This is the first light for me that takes a 18650 battery.
Some how I accidentally turned it on in my jacket pocket and when I noticed it, the light was Smoking Hot! I took the battery out and let it all cool and then set it on my desk for about an hour with it on and it did not get hot.
Was this because it was in my pocket? Should I be concerned with the light getting to hot (damage, personal injury) with use.
I have read some of the posts on the 18650 and thought I would ask the group.

thank you for any feedback
Marty

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it gets hotter in your pocket, the heat from it can't escape as easily as in open air.
I wouldn't worry about heat issues with regular usage but do suggest some sort of lockout if you're going to continue pocket carrying.

Mchipman

Newly Enlightened
Yes it gets hotter in your pocket, the heat from it can't escape as easily as in open air.
I wouldn't worry about heat issues with regular usage but do suggest some sort of lockout if you're going to continue pocket carrying.

Thank you for the reply. I did discover that when it is on high mode it gets hot just sitting on my desk. Do you know if this is a 18650 thing, something to be concerned about?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
An 18650 thing...? Not exactly, it's a currant thing. Lithium ion batteries can provide allot of currant, which power LEDs like (to an extent) but LEDs hate heat, so..... Good light manufactures use the body of the light as a heatsink to take the heat off the LED chip thus making the light get warmer than most cheap or older incan type lights.
Allot of high power LED lights have a "turbo" mode which is ment to be used in bursts rather than constantly in order to reduce heat stress on the LED.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Lights get warm these days. No biggy.

Matter of fact a high powered light getting warm is a good thing as heat is radiated away from the emitter.
Unlike brownies, LED's don't do well in ovens.

Now until someone remarks "hey bro how long you had that "smoking jacket?" no need to be alarmed.

If you look around the site you'll notice some lights have cooling fins.