Anyone know how to the remove lens from PT Impact

jason978

Newly Enlightened
Hey gang,

Does anyone know how to remove the lens from the Princeton tec Impact. Preferably without destroying it? Thanks,

Jason

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a feeling I know WHY you want to.

I tried the bezel from my TEC 40 on my Impact. I was hoping to get a better beam. It didn't help.

I think that LED and that reflector just don't get along.

I am almost certain you can't remove the lense. I think the plastic extends down to be the threaded portion and the whole thing is rubber coated.

Something I found on at least one other light with a domed lense is putting a piece of writeright just over the hump smoothed the beam a LOT! I would try that on my Impact but it is in my Dads truck.

GOOD LUCK!!!

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Anyone know how to the remove lens from PT Im

I don't think you can remove the lens. The whole light is sealed for waterproofness. If you want to diffuse the beam, try some frosted scotch tape over it.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

On my Impact, the rubber cover can be removed by running a small screwdriver in between the rubber cover and the threaded plastic barrel. Its not glued, the rubber is secured by a ridge on the outside of the barrel and a groove on the inside of the rubber cover. The barrel/lens is a two piece assembly that is bonded together and appears that the components can be separated by any number of destructive processes, including saw, cut off wheel, sledge hammer, etc.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I hope this helps.

Dan

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well PBJS,

Being as we haven't heard back from Jason978, his intent is only an item of conjecture. I merely answered his question. Jason, come out, come out where ever you are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dan

jason978

Newly Enlightened

Sorry guys, been busy lately, just checked the thread. ya, i just don't like the the beam. I actually like it better with no lens. if you leave the cover off and press the led assembly against the batteries it will work, it looked better that way to me. Maybe i could break it out and glue in a piece of something to cover it.

Jason

paulr

Flashaholic

If you don't like that narrow beam, you have the wrong light. Get a PT Attitude instead, if you want a PT with a wider beam.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jason.

I know what you mean. Regrettably, the lens on the Impact that provides this light with throw and intensity also magnifies the imperfections in the LED's envelope. I have tried mine with the lens assembly off of a Tec 40 and the output is greatly diminished. I'll have to agree with PBJS on this one. Get your self some WriteRight PDA screen protector (the monochromatic variety, not the stuff for colored screens) and cut a circle of approximately 1 1/4 inch diameter from it. Place it in between the lens and the reflector. It can be found at most major office stores. I hope this helps.

Dan

jason978

Newly Enlightened

thx for the replies. maybe I'll check out the attitude. the impact was my first led light, ah well , live and learn. the impact does have verry good run time though. Left it on for a week and could still read my wall calender from 5 ft away.