Custom red light

Chaney2169

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I have been wanting to build a flashlight for coyote hunting for a while and I've been searching a lot and everything brings me to this forum, so I figured I'd just join and ask directly because everything I found wasn't very specific to what I want to do. I want to build a homemade light for scanning. Here is what I want it to do

Adjustable beam

Red led

Adjustable power preferably a knob

Bright enough to light eyes out to 500 yards

This can be a headlamp or just a handheld. Not a big deal

Basically I want to build a wicked 403 or the scan pro ic. Ialready have a green one but I think it would be cool to build my own.

If anyone is bored and would like to give me a couple website to buy parts and a parts list that would be awesome. Also I am a programmer in a machine shop so any modifications would be no issue. I don't have anything to start with besides a 12 inch mag light body if that will help? Thanks for your time!

bulrush

Newly Enlightened
I've made a few flashlights but

1. I don't know if any red LED will light up their eyes at 500 yards. Do you know for a fact that their retinas actually reflect red light?
2. I've never seen a red LED with a lot of "throw" distance anyway.
3. But the circuit is easy to build anyway. I myself am getting into variable resistors on my flashlights so I can have infinite dimming steps.

Chaney2169

Newly Enlightened
Yeah there are a few out there. I don't know if I am allowed to post links but wicked lights makes a headlamp and a flashlight that throws that far. I have one and they are pretty awesome I just want to try to make my own