Mini- review Nitecore EC4GT, worth a look for work use

mickb

Enlightened
Firstly thanks Octavian for suggesting this light. I had been on the hunt for something with slightly more punch than my armytek predator v2.5( xp-g2) which is one of the best throwers in its size. I have only owned a handful of lights, not being a collector, but used them in army and now in current workplace.

Some amateurish points which will probably be inexpert and crude to experienced flashaholics but may be searchable to user newbs chasing a EDC size light that can handle search, duty use and game spotting.

1.Dual batts, deep smooth reflector, XP-L and 1000lumens are a great combo without going lumens crazy. I am not a big fan of flood, I am usually looking for something in an area rather than lighting up an area to work in. With 56000 lux seems to punch harder than most things in its size, illuminating people and game animals to 100 yards+ and the spill will still illuminate back yards at 50 yards. I know the packet says 475 yards but that is for .25lux I assume, seems an impractical measurement for marketing purposes maybe. I can't see myself needing more lumens in this size package, unless they start putting out 5000mah batteries in the future. I like a couple hours on decent high power. As such will probably hold onto it until it fails, nitecore will have the chance to see if their 5 year warranty is warranted.

2.Interface and power levels- quite a few. Most of them + strobe and beacon I won't really use. 420lumens and 1000 are great and 90% what I do. The interface is easy to handle with the mode separate to power switch and memory to last mode. Being a formerly forward clicky with momentary user only, I was a bit tentative about trying new things. But I am giving this the thumbs up for work use( you can call that whatever you want- duty, security guarding, hunting, playing ninja) especially as you can ensure full power coming on with a press. There are better options for kicking doors in with an SMG no doubt, but the response time is still quite good once you hit the button, I don't think people who need decent acquisition like hunters or street cops will be disadvantaged by it.

3. Body .Seems quite robust but of course you never know if the guy on the production line was asleep when yours rolled past, so time will tell for quality.

4. Bought a nitecore 40mm red filter too, fits well, its a rubber overcup style, very easy to pull on and off in a second without any unscrewing needed. Good for swapping on and off to preserve night vision or spot things as required. I was pleasantly surprised again contrary to what newb's always read that LED's stop most of the red light. Well they probably do but the red light put out by this on the top two power levels 420 and 1000 lumens is still very respectable. Certainly able to target game animals to 40 yards or more.

5. Not a bad size, I think the smallest 2 x (SxS style) 18650 lights based on measurements, very handy. You can feel the weight with the two batteries in it but I stll consider it EDC, you can pocket it if needed.

6. Hunting. The rectangular body shape makes it less preferable of course, you will need to rig something to get this working off a rifle. Its also not as verstaile for those who want remote tail switches but I have found I use manual switches almost as well. I have not tried any other 2x18650 spotlights so can not offer a comparison but feel for 90% of night hunting this thing is going to have most of the reach people need and the advantage of EDC. For the long range guys the big reflectors and aspherics are preferred use of course but they are not as handy. I will be using it for crossbow specifically with red light to 40 yards and will rig up a bracket on the stock.

7. Holster is not too bad for walking and belt storage. If you are charging around the brush though you may need a slightly longer or custom option with more positive closure than just a bit of velcro, it may come loose if hooked on something.