A short comparison (including beamshots) of the Niwalker MM25MB and the MM25MB V2

kj75

Enlightened
Recently, Niwalker has launched a more powerful version of the soda-can-sized MM25MB, the V2-version. Main difference between the two is the output at higher modes, the updated version has an increase of 1000 lumens. I'll show you some pictures of those compact lumen-monsters, also the parameters; but let's see also what the difference in output.. My full review of the MM25MB that I wrote earlier can be found here.

Special thanks to the outdoorsplus.com, who shipped both lights!

Same box, little difference at the stickers' size
2zf4vh3.jpg

simple but sturdy packages
2mo1s9g.jpg

a close-up at the parameters, there's difference from the third mode
49hu.jpg

the "V2" addition to the lights name is the only difference here
33vhi1l.jpg

same bodies
2zg6z5l.jpg

orange-peel reflectors for a smooth "triple-beam"
28bvatj.jpg

the powerful XHP70 LEDS are well-centered
2dsjyg2.jpg

soda-can-sized
idfynn.jpg

output-monsters!
k03t5e.jpg

the V2-version at the left here
28w2df5.jpg

Outdoor beamshots:

And now, the most important thing we want to know: How does the updated version perform against the elder one? Although Niwalker gives no different output parameters until the third mode, I would like to show you all modes against each other. I placed both lights on a tripod while standing on a road with some trees and used the same battery pack with High Discharge Current-cells. And, indeed, up to the third mode you can barely notice a difference, but at higher modes the GIF's show that the V2-version is brighter. What I noticed too is that the updated version has a better tint to me, more neutral. Have a look at the beamshots!

NOTE: I renamed the mode levels (Mode 1 – Mode 5) that Niwalker gave to Lower until Turbo

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4.0 sec, 35mm
o5yv86.jpg

nf0e3l.jpg

w6qi9y.jpg

312hjl0.jpg

2d015iu.jpg

Conclusion:

The pictures above clearly show that the V2-version of the Niwalker "MiniMax25MonsterBright" has increased output. Also I prefer the tint over the elder version. If you are already a (lucky) owner of the MM25MB, it isn't a must (in my opinion) to purchase the newer version. The elder version is still an output-monster, and a step between 7600 and 8600 lumens is not comparable to, let's say, the step between 1 and 1000 lumens. But it you don't own this light, it will be a nice and bright purchase, like I told you earlier in my full review!

Thanks for reading and watching :)

Last edited:

tom-

Enlightened
kj, I find your straight forward; common sense reviews most refreshing. What I have realized is that there is a point of diminishing returns that one reaches very quickly for most activites that the majority of users participate in and I believe it is accurate to state that over 5k lumes or so the flashlight becomes a liability rather than a useful tool as these lights generally do not have intelligent step ups. Generally they seem to go from full tilt to too bright to way too little.

Thank you.

RandyMan79

Newly Enlightened
Great write up and review... looks like the updated version is a tiny bit brighter in the foreground. Can't really tell much of a difference in the distance.

guthrie

Newly Enlightened
How do you find the flood? I could do with a floody high output torch for lighting up bits of campsite for set up and take down, amongst other uses, and if the torch is too good at distance that isn't much use.*

*So far the portable floodlights I've found are quite big and not always as powerful. It's easier to pack a small thing.