Fenix HL15 review

narmattaru

Enlightened
Review example was provided by manufacturer. Here is a product page at Fenix`s website

2016102515045043672.jpg

2016102515044762426.jpg

PACKAGE AND APPEARANCE

HL15 is packed into small plastic box, along with manual and pair of "noname" battteries. Box looks good enough to make this headlamp as a gift.
f8ee3c.jpg

0144a2.jpg

Fenix offers a choice of different colours, I was lucky to get noble imperial purple.
2016102515041720617.jpg
9236d3.jpg

Headlamp has OP relector, though Olight H05 ( which i`ll compare with HL15) has SMO. To my mind OP is more reasonable choice for such type of headlamps, though it`s still good to get a choice for any paprticular need. There is a pair of red LEDs at the sides of headlamp.
a113d6.jpg

0ffe28.jpg

Size of HL15 is absolutely one which you expect for such a thing, the same as H05 or cheap popular clone of Sunree.
986237.jpg

What i like here is a simple but practical technical idea by added a kinda of sweat blocking gel stripe at the inner side of headstrap. That`ll also perfectly work to make headstrap not slip down to forehead while user is running.
a61cdf.jpg

Another good idea is a kinda of light reflector which you can see at the front surface of HL15, and of course there is a reflective parts at headstrap. Small detail which`ll work great for user`s safety.
c15b65.jpg

Headlamp can be adjusted to to angle of 60, fixation is firm. Headlamp kept this angle while i was jumping to test it.
ab19d4.jpg
2016102515044584337.jpg

Battery compartment.
ad5f58.jpg

2b3574.jpg

Another simple decision is protective cover (the plastic part with "Fenix" engraved) that doesn`t let you occasionally press buttons.
fa563f.jpg

877a402644.jpg

Insides are soldered well, i`ve seen nothing to complain about build quality.
761184.jpg

eabf3f.jpg

e63ffe.jpg

d3a861.jpg

afec7a.jpg

the only controversal idea is to use metal plate for thermal transfer, the plate that stays inside headlamp - what is not correct as heat have to be transfered outside of headlamp body. But for such a small brightness (and heat) this will work even when plate stays inside. I think problems may happen if you use it somewhere in desert and constantly keep on turning max mode. though it seems to me that in this situation heat dissipation of HL will be your smallest problem )

In reality you use 70 lums and don`t care.

UI

Simple.

2016102515042897183.jpg

There is a mode memory

you can also turn red and primary lights simulataniously, red light also works in beacon mode.

brightnesses switch from low to high.

HL15 IN WORK

I want to remind what there is XP-G2 R5 LED here, with nice neutral light.
749759.jpg

Some more comparing with Olight at max mode. light is completely different.
lu4.gif

tsvet.jpg

spalnia-vs-olight.gif

VSd9a28.gif

ogorod692bd.gif

Stabilization is good, light switches to lover level when voltage falls. There is also a stepdown from 65 celcius.

So, i think that choice of 4 brightess level here is enough for any work.

1st mode of 4 lums is enough to cook or fix something in stratched arm distance.
2nd mode of 30 lums is ok for 1.5 meters. Also useful for some repairing work.
And 70 lum i consider to be most comfortable mode, that allows you to run with moderate speed and see what is ahead of you in 5-7 meters.
Max mode of 200 lums may be enought for biking, but runtime here is not serious for such activity.

70 lums is a perfect choice.

There is no PWM-shimmering at any mode.

OVERALL

And again i was impress that headlamp with non-lithium battery makes a good light.
HL15 is th wellbuilt and well working headlamp. that is not a headlamp that you`ll use for work or extreme tourism (unless you use it as red light beacon, feature that you may not meet in serious 18650 headlamps). HL15 is designed as light-weightning headlamp for jogging or hiking and it performs well here at this mode.

btw, I had to choose between FenixHL15 and Olight H05 for a New Year gift for nephew, and decided that i`d better keep HL15 for me, rather than giving it away.

narmattaru

Enlightened
thanx

i think vehicle light requires more throwing, focused light, kinda of H05.
i suppose that with some high speed you will have no time to react if you only see 10-15m ahead
for running that is ok, but for biking i`d prefer something heavier, but with longer runtime and 300+ lums

Fenix HL15 reasonably describe this light as product for hikng\jogging. for these cases it`ll work perfectly.

aacells

Newly Enlightened
I see that this headlamp lets light pass through its polymer body, wouldn't this be a problem for users wearing glasses?

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own this headlamp and like it for the most part. I am slightly disappointed with the red light for night vision use. Their positioning, and the way they are slightly diffused, do not allow one to see directly in front of them, at least in my use. I find that I have to rotate the headband so that the main unit is facing either to the right or left. In this position, either one of the red LED's will be forward facing and provide enough illumination to do what needs to be done in low light. As a constant on or flashing beacon they do work well positioned in any direction.

narmattaru

Enlightened
yes, that`s reasonable.
i`ve also though abouth clipping it to backpack in situation of walking by the roadside.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all: Great review, I can always count on my fellow flashaholics over here on CPF, when I find a new light im interested in and want some more information about it.

I'm looking for a headlamp for jogging and reading star maps in the dark with only dim red light. That's how I found the Fenix HL15, as you don't need to cycle through the white modes as in other double-colored headlamps. The Nitecore NU30 is similar as it has two buttons for the two colors too.

So now to my question: As I want to read black and white maps in the dark and don't want to blind myself, is the brightness of the red mode enough for that task? As moshow9 stated that the red LEDs are facing slightly outwards, is there still enough light for reading? Could maybe somebody with this light check this shortly for me ;-)? Thanks in advance.

narmattaru

Enlightened
i used red light, you may be sure that it`ll be enough for reading maps )

i assume there may be troubles with some colors at map, which may be visually similar with other in red light.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply ;-).

At the end I decide to get myself a Olight H05S Active, after finding out that you can start it in red mode and don't have to click through all modes and because there was a pay-1-get-2 deal ;-).

Assimilator1

Newly Enlightened
Late to the party! ;) But thanks for the review :), made me decide not to get it as I want a tight beam for work purposes.

The H05 would've been my choice, but I don't like the garish colours they offer :p.
Any comparable choices?

And is their a glossary somewhere for all the acronyms? OP SMO reflector??