Still content with using only my vintage LED lights from 2013!

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I jump on this site quite often to try to keep up on the latest flashlight trends and for a good read from time to time but find myself strangely not drawn to needing the latest light like I used to. I started getting into LED flash more than a decade ago with Luxeon and SSC emitters then jumped all in when Fenix and the old CREE XR-E emitters hit the market. I would buy lights at every bin release and refresh my whole lineup at every new CREE emitter release. The ONLY battery to have was an 18650 and high mode was everything...

Over time I really found both Foursevens (mainly Quarks) and Zebralight (headlights) really gave me the features I used in a durable and great sized package. I bought probably 20 lights from these two brands and another 30-40 from other brands before 2013. In 2013 I bought what I thought was just another light (Foursevens Quark Turbo) and lego'ed it to my titanium 1xAA body and found I really had a winner with 14500's inside. I bought six Keepower 14500's and later came across a dandy Zebralight H52W that also loved 14500. I sold off my entire collection of lights and most of my 18650's and have been perfectly happy with my 2 lights ever since! To be honest, I did save a couple AAA lights for EDC.

Over the past 3.5 years I have hunted, fished, backpacked, traveled, etc. exclusively with these two lights and never found myself lacking anything in lighting. With the two lights and a battery carrier holding the spare four 14500's I am looking at 4.5 ounces and enough light to keep me going easily for 2 weeks without electricity (I spent a total of 2 weeks on a rustic island last year with a full battery to spare). The Quark gives me access to 2 modes (set for turbo and low) and has enough power to really reach out when I need to find my tent from across a field or to locate my Jeep's reflectors from hundreds of yards away. The Zebralight gives excellent area lighting with perfect modes to easily transition from dressing a deer to walking a trail, and then having instant access to the moonlight mode to find the tent zipper on a moonless night without waking my tent buddy.

Both lights are modest and simple. Nothing tactical or oversized, no extra buttons or parts to fall off. Nothing really fancy or groundbreaking, just good lights. Both lights have been 100% reliable and serve their purpose perfectly, even 3.5 years after their purchase. I look for a new light a couple times a year as new emitters are released and new models come out but I ask myself: "is this new light actually any better for my uses?" and I've yet to answer yes.

So while I still enjoy the community and the posts here, I do not see myself my buying any new lights until these ones no longer function. I really think a big part of this attitude is flashlights finally got bright and durable enough to the point of where I see no need for higher highs and reliability leaves nothing to be desired. So until one of these poops out from old age when I'm miles from camp, I'm happy :).

The trail-worn duo:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's cool. Good story. I admire your restraint. It is good to know there is still hope for some of us. Flashaholism is a disease some of us struggle with on a daily basis. With every screen refresh on CPF I am fighting the toxic lure of the latest led light on the market.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
If both of those lights are the versions that use XML2 emitters, then I'm not surprised, as there hasn't really been anything released yet that dwarfs these for a usable mix of brightness and runtime.Persoannly I'm still happy with XR-E for most of my lights.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
This makes total sense to me. The Titanium Quark was my unbeatable EDC for many years, and now the H52w is my never-leave-home-without-it light.

I still buy lights, and I have to say that the Quark has lost out to a ZL SC600 HI, which just does a lot more--more modes, more lux, more lumens, more run-time. And a somewhat better tint--Foursevens sold some awfully cool beams in the past, and I have gotten to liking warmer and Higher CRI. But do I *need* the difference between the Quark Titanium and the SC600 HI? Not really. And there is something nice about standardizing on one cell, i.e. the 14500. I *definitely* don't want to travel without a light that can use AAs and AAAs, the way that the ZL H52w can.

What you've got is a pair of rock-solid performers that will still be going strong decades from now.

One quibble, though: the QT2L-X is not really a "Quark Turbo" head. The Turbo heads were bigger in diameter, with deeper reflectors. This is a Burst-Mode Quark, so I can see why you think of it as "turbo," since it has an overdrive mode. But "Quark Turbo" usually means the larger-diameter head.

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
What you've got is a pair of rock-solid performers that will still be going strong decades from now.

One quibble, though: the QT2L-X is not really a "Quark Turbo" head. The Turbo heads were bigger in diameter, with deeper reflectors. This is a Burst-Mode Quark, so I can see why you think of it as "turbo," since it has an overdrive mode. But "Quark Turbo" usually means the larger-diameter head.

Thanks! My original goal for 14500 lights was to be able to use AA as a backup. I have several times.

And you're spot on with the Quark Turbo vs. Burst. Mine is a burst mode version, misspeak on my part. I never really understood that Turbo version...

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still use a lot of XML lights that I have been using for years also love my quad drop in it has been in my pocket for 5 years now don't mess with success is what I say :)

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
I jump on this site quite often to try to keep up on the latest flashlight trends and for a good read from time to time but find myself strangely not drawn to needing the latest light like I used to. I started getting into LED flash more than a decade ago with Luxeon and SSC emitters then jumped all in when Fenix and the old CREE XR-E emitters hit the market. I would buy lights at every bin release and refresh my whole lineup at every new CREE emitter release.

Man, XR-E Q4 Fenixs were the bee's knees back then. 150 lumens in the palm of your hand.:crackup: Good times... I do feel like lights were more innovative and less gimmicky back then though. I remember when Nitecore hit the scene with the Defender Infinity back in 2007 and everyone crapped their pants at how incredible it was for a AA light.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Great post! Couldn't agree more. Flashlights have come a LONG way in the past 10 years or so but I think there kinda like iPhones. When the new model comes out every one jumps to get them even though there not much different then the one they have. Old model light is 1000 lm with 550 meter throw. New model is 1200 lm and 600 meter throw and most will sell there "old" one in favor of the new.i think we are at a plateau with what's out there now and lights that are 5 years old are more then what we need

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Dark hasn't changed in 4 years. On occasion still use my Zl H50 and Fenix L2D Q5. That's 08 vintage. Still looks like light to me.

mcm308

Enlightened
Great post! Couldn't agree more. Flashlights have come a LONG way in the past 10 years or so but I think there kinda like iPhones. When the new model comes out every one jumps to get them even though there not much different then the one they have. Old model light is 1000 lm with 550 meter throw. New model is 1200 lm and 600 meter throw and most will sell there "old" one in favor of the new.i think we are at a plateau with what's out there now and lights that are 5 years old are more then what we need
Agree on the iPhone statement! Lol
I myself will take my 10-20 year old technology over anything made today. I happen to prefer incans although I just recently acquired a 2nd Gen L1 from 2003 with original batteries and when I fired it up the first time, my first thought was damn, i been missing out and this just may take the cake over the beloved A2. The L1 and the A2 farrrrr ahead of their time and probably still more reliable then anything today in the same department.

I had alot of lights and sold most all last year except for 2. My Ultra Stinger and my M3. And then I picked up the little Olight S1. I missed the A2 dearly and just got another one and could not be happier. Need a couple more! Haha

Now that's vintage!

Swordforthelord

Newly Enlightened
I do think in light charging is at least one recent innovation that's been worthwhile. The S1R finally dislodged my XP-E Quark from my pants pocket (Though I'm not sure it would have happened if I'd been running a burst mode head. Watching for those to hit 47's clearance page).

whizzer

Newly Enlightened
This thread piqued my interest.

I'm a pretty old guy. I haven't posted here in years, and I never did very much way back when.... The reason I am now, is that I have lost a very old friend, A Fenix single cell AA.

I've forgotten where I bought it, and the model number even! (Did Foursevens sell Fenix long ago?) L01D-CE sticks in my mind. I also had some twisty AAA Fenix's that long ago stripped the threads.

Every bit of finish has been "loved" off of my recently departed friend. New lenses, a mountain of alkalines, NiCads, NIMH's, Eneloops later and I am STILL holding out hope it'll turn up again. I'll bet that strikes a chord for some of you.

I've just been astonished by the durability of the clicky platform, paired with LED technologies.

Swordforthelord

Newly Enlightened
This thread piqued my interest.

I'm a pretty old guy. I haven't posted here in years, and I never did very much way back when.... The reason I am now, is that I have lost a very old friend, A Fenix single cell AA.

I've forgotten where I bought it, and the model number even! (Did Foursevens sell Fenix long ago?) L01D-CE sticks in my mind. I also had some twisty AAA Fenix's that long ago stripped the threads.

Every bit of finish has been "loved" off of my recently departed friend. New lenses, a mountain of alkalines, NiCads, NIMH's, Eneloops later and I am STILL holding out hope it'll turn up again. I'll bet that strikes a chord for some of you.

I've just been astonished by the durability of the clicky platform, paired with LED technologies.
Sorry, hope it turns up.
4Sevens did sell Fenix, along with Nitecore, Olight, Tiablo, Microfire, Zebralight, Polarion, and Muyshondt.
I'm betting it was the LD01?
(Edit: Nope, sorry, that was a twisty. Maybe the L1T?)

Last edited:

whizzer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Me too. I've checked all the couch cushions, but have a few vehicles I need to look at. It got lost for a while once after a trip to Denver for my youngest's College Graduation. He just turned 30 on Jan 5th, and most the finish was already gone 8 years ago when it showed up.

No, my AA was definitely a Clicky and in my mind, that's why it survived a decade plus of E V E R Y day carry. If anyone wonders about longevity of LED torches, just roll up a newspaper and give yourself a Dope Slap.

Around the same time, I bought 2 or 3 AAA twistys that did not survive. (Thread failure, not LEDs! I made one good one out of the parts, and gave it to a guy who plays Horn in the Church Orchestra I direct. He still has it!) Square threads are superior for twistys in my opinion. Those old Fenix AAA's didn't have them.

And yep. It WAS 4sevens for sure. LD01 sounds familiar. Thanks for that clarification! Never heard of a Muyshondt.

When/if it shows up, I will retire it. I've purchased the Zebralight AA SC5w OP and it is of equal or better quality to my old Fenix and very much brighter.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I remember when fenix came out with the TK20 years ago. That was a great light tougher then any 2XAA then. probably still is. The beam is fantastic with good throw and the tint is perfect for outdoor use.i use mine in the woods quite a bit and really don't need much more.it seems like the newer lights are not as good In the real world as lights of old imo.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to disagree about older lights. While newer lights have generally not improved a great deal in brightness compared to lights offered a few years ago, they have greatly improved in one key area - TINT. In 2013, the choice was still very much between 6500K and 6500K. Neutral white offerings were FAR less common than they are now. And high CRI inevitably meant VERY low output single emitter affairs. Now if you are fine with cool whites or don't really need a Nichia light that tops 150-200 lumens, there is no reason to NOT stick with your old lights. But if you perfer warm/neutral tints and/or want high cri along with decent brightness, lights of recent vintage are THE way to go.