Most lumens, tightest package

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
Im having a custom maglite built and need to pick out the latest greatest led for it. I haven't been here for a year or so, so I'll need the 411 from you guys. I want the brightest led, like sst50 or sst90 but in the smallest package so I can have a nice tight hot spot. Whats the led I'm looking for for this build?
Jason

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tightest would be an XP-L HI with decent lumens.

Most lumens but a big hotspot would be the XHP series such as a XHP-35.

Keep in mind that you'll need the right reflector for any of the XHP series LEDs to remove that nasty cross from the beam pattern, so an XP-L HI would be a better choice in beam pattern and throw.

Personally if you just want a bright Maglite and don't care as much about throw, the 5000 lumen Superbulb from Adventure Sport Flashlights is nice.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tight hotspot and small package don't go together. The bigger your reflector, the tighter your hotspot.

You'll have to have some compromise, and say to yourself "this is the maximum reflector size I'd want," then we could recommend lights with the most intense, tightest hotspot for that size. Chances are it will be a vinh light if you want the last bit of performance.