How much eye damage from a 5W(or 1.5W) 850nm IR flashlight?

VidnaVidna

Newly Enlightened
So I must be fairly stupid, but I purchased one of these for purposes outside of hunting, or photography. An Ilauke 5W 850nm IR flashlight

*Link removed by Greta

For some reason I thought the thing would output some visible light when powered on, and thought I had a faulty device. So I unwittingly ended up looking directly at the IR diodes with my naked eyes...several times, for several seconds each time.

Let's say to give a generous overestimate, I looked directly at the LEDS when powered on 3 times, for ~6 seconds each time. at 1-1.5 feet away. I didn't notice any ill effects afterwards, but I'm assuming this is unhealthy in hindsight?

It's worth noting that while the device is advertised at 5W a reviewer says it's only 1.5W running on a standard AA battery.

What kind of damage does stuff like this do, if it is not immediately impairing, what ill effects can one expect?

Last edited by a moderator:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I must be fairly stupid, but I purchased one of these for purposes outside of hunting, or photography. An Ilauke 5W 850nm IR flashlight

*Link removed by Greta

For some reason I thought the thing would output some visible light when powered on, and thought I had a faulty device. So I unwittingly ended up looking directly at the IR diodes with my naked eyes...several times, for several seconds each time.

Let's say to give a generous overestimate, I looked directly at the LEDS when powered on 3 times, for ~6 seconds each time. at 1-1.5 feet away. I didn't notice any ill effects afterwards, but I'm assuming this is unhealthy in hindsight?

It's worth noting that while the device is advertised at 5W a reviewer says it's only 1.5W running on a standard AA battery.

What kind of damage does stuff like this do, if it is not immediately impairing, what ill effects can one expect?

Fortunately for you...I guess??? If you had in fact damaged your eyes, the effect would be instantaneous...more or less. I'm not an optometrist or anything so don't take my opinion for more than that. I would take this time to point out that most cell phone cameras (and most digital cameras in general) can see infrared light. This is one way you can safely check the emitter to ensure it is in fact working.

Also something you may not be aware of is that infrared radiation is also known as heat.

Last edited:

VidnaVidna

Newly Enlightened
Fortunately for you...I guess??? If you had in fact damaged your eyes, the effect would be instantaneous...more or less. I'm not an optometrist or anything so don't take my opinion for more than that. I would take this time to point out that most cell phone cameras (and most digital cameras in general) can see infrared light. This is one way you can safely check the emitter to ensure it is in fact working.

Also something you may not be aware of is that infrared radiation is also known as heat.

I just have an android moto G 3rd generation, it doesn't seem to detect IR, unless the setting to do so is somewhere? but I can use the back facing camber pointed at the diodes, to see that they are on, since they do glow red visibly.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just have an android moto G 3rd generation, it doesn't seem to detect IR, unless the setting to do so is somewhere? but I can use the back facing camber pointed at the diodes, to see that they are on, since they do glow red visibly.

Ha! Of course you are using one of the few manufacturers that decided to include an IR filter over the main camera lens "to reduce glare". You should be able to see IR light using the front camera as it is used in the gesture detection your phone is capable of.

VidnaVidna

Newly Enlightened
Ha! Of course you are using one of the few manufacturers that decided to include an IR filter over the main camera lens "to reduce glare". You should be able to see IR light using the front camera as it is used in the gesture detection your phone is capable of.
You are right the front one works.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Isn't it interesting that we'd call that an IR filter, because it filters out IR preventing it from reaching the sensor (and what else would we call it?), but when we put a color filter on our camera or flashlights, what we see is that color, and not the absence of that color. Red filters are red and using them produces red light... it doesn't filter out the red light leaving us with what is left, everything but red. Also, it's strange that we drive on a parkway, but park on a driveway. ;-)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Isn't it interesting that we'd call that an IR filter, because it filters out IR preventing it from reaching the sensor (and what else would we call it?), but when we put a color filter on our camera or flashlights, what we see is that color, and not the absence of that color. Red filters are red and using them produces red light... it doesn't filter out the red light leaving us with what is left, everything but red. Also, it's strange that we drive on a parkway, but park on a driveway. ;-)

This post should be placed in a best of thread.