Review: ThruNite TC12 V2 XP-L V6 1100 Lumen 1x18650/2xCR123

Jomohr84

Newly Enlightened
Disclaimer: I purchased this flashlight with my own hard-earned money. I am in no way affiliated with ThruNite or any other company or retailer, and am not receiving any sort of compensation for this review…I am just another flashaholic. Enjoy!

Overview

Product name: ThruNite TC12 V2
Emitter type: XP-L V6
Emitter tint: Neutral White
Material: Aero grade aluminum HAIII hard anodized
Switch: Tail clicky and electronic side switch
Lens: Anti-Reflective coated glass
Max output: 1100 Lumens
Modes: Firefly, Low, Medium, High, Turbo, Hidden Strobe
Output: 0.5L, 21L, 200L, 472L, 1100L
Battery: 1x18650/2xCR123
Reflector: Smooth aluminum
Waterproof: IPX-8 rated to 2m/30min
Weight: 3oz without battery, 4.7oz with ThruNite 3400mah 18650
Size: 1" head x 5.5 "L
Special features: Micro USB rechargeable, momentary-on, ThruNite ITC(Intelligent Temperature Control), reverse polarity protection.

ThruNite has impressed me with their offerings of late; so much so that I gifted 2 of these to close friends this Christmas. The TC12 V2 is feature-laden and, like many of their models, offered in your choice of Cool White or Neutral White. I love neutral and warm tinted lights, and have been happy to see more companies offering these options.

Let's take a look at what ThruNite is offering up, starting with the packaging.

7f13eb203501116c14a2efe8874194d9.jpg

Package Contents

ThruNite packaging never disappoints me. Every light I have purchased comes in a very nice, sturdy and attractively designed cardboard box, secured with a clear silicone band.
551fbe61419024cc8b6d4b029f4c53a4.jpg

Inside the box, the light is in a thin white bag, and surrounded foam to protect from damage. A silica gel packet is included to deter moisture. By the way, I guess you aren't supposed to eat it. Why didn't they print that on the silica packets when I was a kid?! I thought that was seasoning for my beef jerky…(ok, enough fun, back to the review.) [emoji2]

The TC12 V2 includes lots of extras aside from the usual instructions and customer satisfaction card. They include a very nice padded nylon holster, micro USB charging cable, a decent lanyard, replacement switch boots for the tail cap and side switch, spare O rings, and a spare micro USB charging port cover.
c09f2184b6f73e7590e45f458673bd79.jpg

Build Quality

I have seen some folks express concerns over the durability of the micro USB charging port cover, but I have not had any issues with mine yet, and it has been charged several times. Just don't yank on it, and it should hold up fine. I haven't had it come open in my pocket either, it seems to fit plenty snug for my liking.
bfe2e2c57b710e2ff176f98d21a6e564.jpg

The lens is nicely AR coated, allowing for maximum light transmission. The reflector is smooth and free of defects. One of the samples I gifted had a small nick on the reflector, but it did not affect the beam. Anodization is nice and was nearly perfect before I started using this light for work, but it has held up very well.

One gripe with this sample is that the emitter is not perfectly centered. If you look closely you will see a tiny gap on one side of the centering disc. The two I gifted were perfectly centered. It doesn't affect the beam too much, but I am picky[emoji6] .
70fcb7896f1aa99eb4f50894e8c2be9b.jpg

f093c160512043027f34e18b8cdcd53c.jpg

The tail cap and head have nice heavy-duty gold plated springs, and the tail switch has a very nice, substantial feel which elicits a perfect click when depressed. I, on the other hand, tend to emit a low pitched whine when depressed. Sorry, couldn't help myself [emoji1] .
aba940460bec9456e90c0b172f5d2ab3.jpg

7cf6fadabf6efabc03e8626cfb286cfd.jpg

The stainless steel electronic side switch also has a nice feel and clicks when pressed. Under the side switch are blue and red leds, which notify the user of the remaining battery capacity. >20%, Blue light will be ON. 10%-20%, Red light will flash. <10%, Red light will remain constantly on to remind the user to recharge the battery. The battery capacity indicator does not work in firefly mode.
159bd9f00c8a5acad621aea60dfe9f3c.jpg

The pocket clip was VERY stiff, I pulled it a bit to loosen it up, as I couldn't even get it to clip to my pocket out of the box. The light features an anti-roll portion on the head, which I found not the most effective. If not for the pocket clip it could roll off a table if it were nudged.

The tail cap has cut outs for your finger, but still allows for tail standing capability. There are holes milled into each side for lanyard attachment, but I prefer not to use lanyards. The light also features reverse polarity protection in case I put the battery in backwards, always nice to know.

For me, it's a nice size for EDC, but I tend to EDC lights larger than some people would even consider, but I forget it's even there until I need it.
Here is a little size comparison:

2188038bf3e38bd760fe5a253c5a6e41.jpg

Left to right: Fenix E12, Nitecore MH20GT, ThruNite TC12 V2, ThruNite TN4A HI, Convoy C8 Clear, Manker U21.

ThruNite's ITC(Intelligent Temperature Control) steps down the output when the temperature in the driver or emitter reach 80 degrees celsius to prevent damage to the flashlight. Very nice feature to have if you plan to use the Turbo mode much and don't want your light to break.

The threads are square cut and nicely lubed from the factory, and the light is IPX-8 rated waterproof to 2 meters for 30 minutes. Just keep that micro USB flap closed!

The ThruNite 3400mah high discharge Li-Ion 18650 battery seems very nice, and features a protection circuit. No complaints here, I have been happy with the performance of this battery.

Also, it doesn't state anywhere in the manual or website, but I contacted ThruNite, and they assured me it will operate on 2 CR123 batteries.

Now, on to the lights' operation!

Operation

Operation of the TC12 V2 is simple. Click the tail switch for on, click again for off. Half press for momentary-on function.

From on, click the side switch to cycle through the output modes, from firefly->low->mid->high->turbo. Hold the side switch for >1 second to enter strobe, click side switch again to go back to last mode.

The light has mode memory, so if you switch it off and back on, it will come back on in the last mode you used.

Now for the only thing in the UI I don't care for…when in any mode for more than 3 seconds, if you click the side switch, you must cycle back through all the modes again. So if I am in Mid for more than 3 seconds, and want to go to High, the light will start me back at firefly and I have to cycle through the modes again to get to High.

I would prefer a linear cycle all the time, as this just makes more sense to me. So ThruNite, if you're listening, make a linear mode cycle in the TC12 V3! If I am in Mid, the next click should ALWAYS take me to HIGH, not back to FIREFLY. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way…but alas, I shall go on living... [emoji1]

Now for charging, and there is a little gripe here too, but it's not a deal-breaker. To charge the light, you must first turn it on. If one doesn't read the directions, they may think their light is broken and wonder why it won't charge. So just remember that you must first turn the light on, then plug in the micro USB cable, and you'll be fine.

The nice thing is that the side switch led lights act as a nice charge indicator. A PURPLE flashing led means something is wrong. So check everything, and once you get it right, the led will turn RED, to indicate it is charging. Once it is fully charged, the led will turn BLUE.

Once it is done charging, click the tail switch again to put it in the off position, and the light is ready to use again.
Alright, now that we know how to charge the light, let's look at what this thing can put out!

Output

I really like the neutral white tint of the XP-L V6, I find it easy on the eyes. The modes are nicely spaced, and the firefly is quite useful when you want to preserve your night vision or avoid waking others, drawing attention, etc.
I find myself using the Mid setting for most purposes in my job as a Maintenance Technician.

My tail cap readings were as follows:

Firefly: .01A
Low: .03A
Mid: .40A
High: 1.0A
Turbo: 2.8A

The following are my own personal output estimates. I in no way purport them to be 100% accurate, take them for what they are, my own personal estimations. Tested with ThruNite 3400mah 18650, fully charged.

Estimated outputs are very close to ThruNite's tested outputs in every mode.

Now some shots to get an idea of the beam profile and tint:

21e14cf337b5a2ef0780d4ab1bf80285.jpg

8091bdcc0817d394c6d75baec07d36f4.jpg

342ed1297a940a41eb7ee21b56769b88.jpg

Left to right: Cool White Nitecore MH20GT, Neutral White ThruNite TC12 V2, U3-7A Warm white Convoy C8 Clear.

Oh, almost forgot, I didn't see any signs of PWM when testing with my camera. Back to the beam…not much of a concentrated hotspot on this light due to the smaller reflector and domed LED. The one photo is taken at about a meter, and the hotspot dissipates quickly the further out you reach. This is a very nice beam pattern for general illumination tasks, not having a blinding hotspot washes out your vision.

Conclusion

ThruNite has a really good light here, and with a couple small changes, I would probably call it a 5/5. Quality Control isn't perfect, as in three samples I have seen 2 defects, but overall nothing too major. The other gripes I had could be construed as a matter of preference, so all in all, my personal opinion is that this light is a solid 4/5.

But if you are listening ThruNite, I would like to see you eliminate the need to turn the light on to charge.Then, change to linear mode cycling, and just get a little tighter on the quality control. Then you'll have a 5/5 in my opinion. I know these things are easier said than done, so my apologies if I sound ungrateful, because I really do love all my ThruNite flashlights.

That aside, I think you guys are doing a great job. Your prices are very competitive, components are high quality, and overall every ThruNite I've purchased is a great value for the money, hence why I chose to buy them for gifts.

Last edited:

CivilGear

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review! I like the color comparison. What did you mean 2 defects in 3 samples? Did you have to return it 2 times to get a good one?

Jomohr84

Newly Enlightened
I didn't return any of them, I gave the first 2 I bought as Christmas gifts. One of those had a small scratch on the reflector, but it didn't affect the beam, so nothing major. On the third, which is the one I reviewed, the emitter is not perfectly centered. It affects the beam slightly. I usually won't return a light unless there is a serious malfunction or issue. Out of the three I bought, there were no major issues, just a little imperfection in 2 of them.

Last edited: