LED Question - Newbie

nglauer

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure where to research this, but figured someone here could point me in the right direction.

I received a few commercial explosion proof lights on trade recently. One is a crouse-hinds and the other is an Appleton mercmaster. I know these are not flashlights, but was hoping to learn some additional info about LEDs in general. The one light works perfectly, whereas the other (which was never used) seems to have had some water intrusion into the housing while in storage, as the inside of the case was damp. My biggest question is how to test the driver or whatever else may need tested. As you can see in the one image, the water seems to have caused rust on some of the contacts (the other images are of the same light, but not mine)The light turned on when initially plugged in, then dimmed in and out before finally turning off. I haven't pulled it completely apart, but am hoping it is salvageable as it was an expensive unit.

337da2aaea40cd1995fa6b666a8ef4cf.jpg

705d93d5d285d5891c9d5a2dcd1efec4.jpg

220f763324944b11dd734ef7d5442557.jpg

272d6f471bca7dd22600c4add516222d.jpg

557cee16a41d7758e80c62a6af884e39.jpg

f24ba37055d8e14ee9c8b42b1b6090cf.jpg

a941565c5970948ffb849fb5c3713933.jpg

Any help, or direction on what to check or where to send it for service is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all, Nick

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there's any one single way to test a driver, since each design is different.

First of all, however, make sure everything is dry so there's no shorts. Bagging it with desiccant packets or rice for a couple days in a warm location is one way to do this.

You could try cleaning the corrosion off the contacts and wires - but make sure you don't mistakenly swap any wire locations, and if you use the vinegar and toothbrush route, you want to be fairly thorough about cleaning the vinegar off with baking soda.

For a really high end light like that, if you need to use it in an explosive hazard environment, it might simply be worthwhile to contact the manufacturer to see if they do repairs. I'd expect them to charge for the service if they do, as I assume whatever water exposure they had is not under warranty.

Last edited:

nglauer

Newly Enlightened
I don't think there's any one single way to test a driver, since each design is different.

First of all, however, make sure everything is dry so there's no shorts. Bagging it with desiccant packets or rice for a couple days in a warm location is one way to do this.

You could try cleaning the corrosion off the contacts and wires - but make sure you don't mistakenly swap any wire locations, and if you use the vinegar and toothbrush route, you want to be fairly thorough about cleaning the vinegar off with baking so.

For a really high end light like that, if you need to use it in an explosive hazard environment, it might simply be worthwhile to contact the manufacturer to see if they do repairs. I'd expect them to charge for the service if they do, as I assume whatever water exposure they had is not under warranty.
I was just going to hang them in my garage, no need for the explosion proof housing for my use. I just got them for free, so i thought it might be worth trouble shooting and trying to fix the one. If the driver could be tested, and it is the culprit, i can buy a new one on ebay for around 50.00. Heck, i might be ahead to just sell it for parts on ebay if not. My goal is to update my lighting, so i could sell these and get something a little less crazy.

Here is a picture of the other style light i got on trade. It works like a charm.

e9a1a80ae00b114ff08443a02c2d914c.jpg

5ee400f2a3f98ee3bdb2cd9b59faa71b.jpg

f4af904b33e8cf7e50cd6217d00fe491.jpg

1b33612fd739a6122dc8669dfe1931c5.jpg

Thank you again for the help. Please feel free to move my post as well. I've never posted here before, so i want sure where to post it.

Thanks again!
Nick

nglauer

Newly Enlightened
Hate to bump the post, i was just curious if anyone else may know a resource for parts, etc. I'd really like to fix the other light. I'm hoping it is just the driver, which i have located on ebay. I don't want to buy it until i figure out a way to test, or have someone test the one in it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, the rice helped dry everything that was damp, but it still isn't functioning. Thank you again!

Nick

nglauer

Newly Enlightened
You should ask the mods to move this one to the fixed lighting sub-forum.
I would love a mod to move this, I'm using tapatalk from my phone and can't locate the fixed lighting section.

Thanks again!